Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Installation of Brakes on VQ P-38

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Installation of Brakes on VQ P-38

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 03:11 PM
roadtrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installation of Brakes on VQ P-38

Thanks, T/M. After what you said about teeing up to the down on the retracts, I had to go and check to see if I did it right. If I understand, the nipple on the bottom of my valve is the outlet (down). If this is correct, I should be good to go, as that's what I did.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:44 PM
KevinM

Ummmm......

Guys, don't Spring Air 700 series operate on the principle of "air -> up, spring -> down"? (As I understand it only the 800 series use air both ways.) That being the case, your brakes will have to be Tee'd off the main supply as there is no pressurized line for "down" to use.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:39 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

KevinM
Yup. I corrected above. I was thinking about two way retracts. Brain is going with hair.
The proportional valve is from ULTRA PRECISION TECHNICAL SERVICES LTD. at http://www.up-1.com/index.htm
Did not want to skid expensive tires down the runway.
Good luck and keep me straight......getting older.
Twinman
Old 03-14-2004, 02:00 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brake drums have a knurled surface for the O ring to press against and the directions say to fill the drum with Vasoline, press in the brake unit expelling the excess and wipe it off.
I think the purpose of filling the unit with Vasoline is to keep out dirt but it dosen't seem to hinder brake operation.
Without the Vasoline the O rings would wear out very fast and woulden't work as smooth.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:38 PM
roadtrip

ORIGINAL: twinman

Air Line Installation
Connect air tubing to the air barb on the brake hub, lightly tie to the strut and make sure it will not bind during retract operation. Run to the center of the wing and out of each side. Connect the two lines with a tee, and connect the tee's line to a quick disconnect so that the center pod can be removed for servicing. Note, make sure that the male and female are different for the retracts and the brakes, or it WILL happen that you will reverse the lines during maintenance!!!
Put another tee into the air line going to the air tank from the fill valve. Note, the brakes take a very small amount of air, so I see not problem with the existing size air tank.
Run the pressure line from the air tank to the proper inlet of the control valve. Run the outlet of the control valve to the other male or female quick disconnect for the wing connection to the main brakes.
T/M, I'm at the part where I have to decide how I'm going to connect/disconnect the air lines for the brakes and retracts at the booms for seperation. Do I remember correctly that you said you will not build yours to seperate at the booms, just the center pod, or was that someone else? In that case the air lines would only require a quick disconnect at the root for the brakes and retracts, right? If I see this right, I'm going to have to put in a quick disconnect for the brakes and retracts at each boom where the center wing sits, run another tube from each boom through the center wing, coming out where all the rest of the speggetti comes out at the root and two more quick disconnects there for the center pod plumbing. (WHEWWWW!!) A total of 6 quick disconnects. I just wanted to clarify that before I start cutting into the center wing for routing the air lines from the booms. (Not mentioned anywhere that I can find). Also, I just wanted to clarify one more thing about the back hub of the brakes where the strut butts up. I assume it's a normal thing for it to move freely a bit, as the strut itself stops it from spinning around. (Not like on our helicopters). I haven't seen anything mentioned about this, so I thought I'd just throw that on the table.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:15 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

VQ number one did not have quick disconnects at the booms to save a buck....PUT THEM IN!!! too much trouble for access. Number two that is approaching completion has, yes, you said it six quick disconnects.
Brake back plate does move, but seems OK.
For the brake valve, what I did is to tee into the elevator and use "Down" to activate the valve.
Twinman
Old 03-14-2004, 02:29 PM
roadtrip

Thanks T/M. I'm beggining to feel more confident in putting this guy together; right the first time. Only headache I seem to have left, is the darn strut on the right side won't lock in at the retract block. It tends to rotate with little force, so I'm going to make them both permanent with liquid weld!!! I don't see any reason to want to remove them anyway once they're in and if I do, I'll just use heat. That and the flap servos don't want to play the game by giving me the full trhrow I need. I'm using the round wheel, but maybe I need to bend the push rod into the half-moon shape as per the manual. Haven't done that. DUH!!