Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

KMP 337 Skymaster In The House!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

KMP 337 Skymaster In The House!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 04:48 PM
Roll On 60

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: KMP 337 Skymaster In The House!!!

The dry weight was something close to 14 pounds but don't remember the exact weight. I no longer have the plane. I am sorry but I also do not recall how much weight was required. It is a very good looking plane but it did have some issues. Hope the new version has them worked out.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:27 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what happened Roll on 60?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:11 PM
red_z06
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roll on 60:

that would have been an incredible bird at 14lbs. Mine is around 18lb 10oz without the boom hatches. My engines weigh 29oz each ( saito 100 twins ). I had to use 2 10oz batteries in the engine bay to keep the balance at 110mm ( 7mm behind the recommanced CG ).
Old 08-31-2004, 10:24 PM
Roll On 60

I had OS 61 FX's in mine but I do remember the weight was under 15 pounds.
I had an offer I couldn't refuse, excuse that pun, so off she went.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:28 PM
forestroke

I'm considering buying it but would like to know how long it is and how wide it is without the wings. Got a small car :-(
Old 11-24-2004, 12:33 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Excellent video, red-z06

How did you get the lights into the wing without opening it up? Or did you open it up?

Looks like that plane really moves out and it actually sounds like a Skymaster. You guys need to cut the grass on your overrun

Don
Old 11-24-2004, 12:53 PM
red_z06

Hattend:

Leave off the wing tips until the last. If you decide to put lights, then drill 1/2 hole at the wing tip so you can feed the wire in. Use string with wheel collar for weight when snaking the wire in. Cutting the wing tip accoring to the light to be installed.

Thats it.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:59 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Cool, thanks

I haven't even opened the box up yet so I wasn't sure what had to be done. Looks like mine will have lights, too. I have them on my TF 182 and they look great!

Don
Old 12-03-2004, 01:39 AM
forestroke

These planes look great! I was wondering, does this plane break down to 4 pieces for transportation?

Fuse
Center Wing and Booms
Wings (2)

If that is the case, it actually will fit in to my car!
Old 12-03-2004, 05:43 AM
red_z06

I drive Dodge Grand Caravan and I can fit the skymaster with just the outer wing panels off (so you don't have to undo 1 million servo connections). It still only takes 1/2 the width of my minivan so I can fit another plane next to it.

If you further break down, fuse is small enough to fit in a sub compact's trunk (never tested). But the boom with center wing is tough to handle as it is wide and long (rectangle).
Old 12-03-2004, 11:25 PM
forestroke

Thanks red... I will take a look today at the LHS. They have one with the original paint... I'm trying to get one with the new paint job. 1000 servo connections still better then that dang bipe I use to have to put together at the field!
Old 05-01-2005, 05:30 PM
stephen thompson

hi,

have you any pictures of your installed lights in your cessna skymaster?

thanks,
steve.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:10 PM
callshot

Default RE: KMP 337 Skymaster On The Way

I'm new to RCU and also new to ARF-building. Naturally I chose the Skymaster as my first effort and what a trip its been so far! I own a new hobby shop and so felt that I owed it to my customers to build and hang this beauty in the shop. I am 25% of the way through and these posts are becoming more important by the minute. I had a heck of a time getting the booms totally in line and I was surprised that the tails are hollow, making gluing of the pin hinges into them a little challenging. I shot foam in there.

I look forward to more posts.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:32 AM
eagledancer

sometimes i cant beleave the "instant gratification society" we have today. its a cookie cutter airplane. throw it together and go fly without the many hours to build one correctly. quality costs either time or money and money dont go very far today.
sorry guys i am just venting a bit.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:35 AM
forestroke

i just picked up an open box version of the plane and wondering if you guys can help me. how do the aileron and flap servo's mount? i can't seem to find a cover for the wholes. i assume that this kit is missing the four covers that the servo's screw into from beneath with the servo arm sticking out, is that right? the LHS said that it was a return without instructions AND missing some parts... but he didn't know what they were. on inventory it's missing the front windshield and these servos covers. if you have pics, would love to see how you put that part together. also, are the main landing gear axles just long bolts? THANKS!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:26 AM
bob hicks

Hey forestroke! I just recieved my 337 and would be happy to copy and send you or fax it to you if you wish.
I'll trade you for any info and pictures of installing the servo and hook-ups for the rudders!
Instructions are useless in this procedure.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:02 AM
forestroke

thanks, bob... would be great if you could just post some pictures. i'm still awaiting my LHS to get me the parts!!! they have said they are trying to locate them but i'm sure we've all heard that before. meanwhile, i'm going to repairing my extreme yak 120, which had some water damage when i bought it. the rudder area, which was enclosed as a single compartment, was flooded with water and the LHS didn't bother to drain it. i drained it and cut an opening for the vapor to escape.... got to patch it up again, now and recover. when i do get started on the cessna and you're still not starting yours, i will be sure to post any info i can! cheers!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:36 AM
oneflyrn

Wow, just read most of the postings to this 337 but not surprised by some. Returning to RC Universe after a long time hiatus.
First, I have my KMP about 90% complete. A typical large scale ARF with some reworking of the kit. Not bad though. Steering had to be self engineered from the little instructions given on it. A lot of conversions from metric to english that came out to be incorrect anyway. Two .91 four strokes went in with little problems, other than the alignment that had little instructions for. Plenty of room in the cowls. After all was glued and incorrect alignment of the tail booms corrected, it looks fairly nice. The biggest complaint I had about this ARF (keep in mind this is an ARF, not a kit, not a scratch built, and not an original design) was that the side windows didn't come close to fitting. Had to do a lot of sanding on the windows and a bit of Goop to install them. The rest looks decent. Impressed even some of the old timer scratch builders. From 5 feet away, it does look good. In the air, I'm sure it will look just as nice. I wouldn't recommend it to someone that has only put together a couple of ARFs. Anyone who has built a kit from sticks will do fine building this one. I do appreciate the tips gathered from others that have posted on here and flown it and what to expect when it comes to CG. As far as upgrading with lights and such, will be pretty easy to retrofit them, even after completion. Will fly it before going into any detail on the cockpit and lights. Lots of room to hide batteries and such and still make a decent interior that is "Fun Scale."

Oneflyrn
Old 05-24-2005, 07:46 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Welcome back! Keep us posted on how she flies!

Bob
Old 05-24-2005, 08:00 AM
bob hicks

You are right on about builder's level of experience. Instructions are the worst I've seen.
They make my Hostettler 120" 337 look like a cake walk...
Let us know what changes need to be made if you find the time.

Bob
Old 05-24-2005, 10:20 AM
forestroke

if you think you've got it bad... my instructions went missing in the flood! i picked it up with some minor water damage to help out the LHS. 2 planes both with minor water damage. parts missing here and there, warped wing... so my 337 will take even more care and patience!
Old 05-24-2005, 01:12 PM
bob hicks

I'm not sure who's worse off....LOL!
Offer to copy and fax the 17 page book if you want still stands.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:26 PM
forestroke

thanks, bob... but can't have you sending me 17 pages of international fax. i'm not in rush. ownder says that the next one he gets, he'll personally copy it for me and give me a copy, though he also claims that if you need the instructions, you shouldn't be building the plane! :-) he says that he had some guy coming off the trainer crash his 337 the second time it went out. he says that upon landing, his plane was uncontrollable, rolling to inverted and crashing head first.

this is my LHS owners rendition: the first time the LHS owner help to set up the plane... over 10 servo leads to connect. the second time the hobbyshop owner thinks that the guy mixed up the aileron/flap servo leads and had one side switched. since he couples flaps to ailerons for normal flight, his preflight check (remember this guy is use to his trainer!!!) didn't check the flaps and off he went! when he extended full flaps for landing (remember us beginners do everything 100% lol), the flap on one side, aileron on the other extended, which immediately sent the plane into a roll that ultimately no beginner could come out of at that altitude.

lesson of the day?

1. check ALL your controls before take off
2. for the first flight, extended flaps a few mistakes high
3. color code or clearly label all your servo extensions. 4 for the wings and 7 from main wing to fuse is 11 servo leads that can go wrong.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:33 AM
bob hicks

Sounds like you have one of those LHS guys who actually knows what he's talking about!

I would have to agree on the diagnosis on the crash.
Trainer to 337? Hummmmmmm.
After laying every thing out I see first of all that putting a standard size servo in the horizontal stab is a big mistake on a boom plane
which is already tail heavy. Adding the cover to the top to hide the servo sticking out where it's cut through only aggrevates that.
I'm using a High torque, metal geared mini for that...Hitec 225, [email protected], 72 oz. @ 6.0v.
Thanks for your input.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:30 PM
bob hicks

How many different ideas are there for attaching booms and wings?
Instructions could've left that part out for what it's worth.
I'm almost ready to dowel and glue the whole thing together as one assembly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.