Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

KMP 337 Skymaster In The House!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

KMP 337 Skymaster In The House!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 04:14 PM
danmilo
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP 337 Skymaster In The House!!!

Well, the first load of 20 units are in the house as Matt tells me. My Skymaster was mailed yesterday, Tuesday. I will be glad to give you the low down on how it looks once I receive it. I'll give everyone a few shots to review and to question. For those of you who were able to see the prototype at one of the trade shows, you already know how nice this one looks. This should be one awesome bird. Probably the only twin I feel comfortable flying.[X(]

Given I suffered through the horrible Fusco 1/3 scale Long Ez mess, this plane has been a welcomed relief!

Thanks Matt!

Dan Milojevich
Old 12-17-2003, 06:09 PM
toucano

Default RE: KMP 337 Skymaster On The Way

I would not count my blessings yet. If this bird is anything like my KMP F-4, you just paid top dollar for a sub-standard product and less than stellar customer service.

I sincerely hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Citation01
My Feedback: (69)

Can't WAIT !!! SKYMASTER on the WAY !!!

I have been contacted by Matt and Andrew the owner of KMP, that my Skymaster is also on the way. What and if danmillo misses in his views, I will gladly add and answer any questions to those interested. I have been looking forward to this plane since talking to Andrew shortly after the news of it was released. I just can't say enough good about the customer service, meaning quick replies to email and return phone calls from them just on this plane. I have also been assured of satisfaction.

Toucano, you don't go into specific's, but instead of demeaning a company there could be reasonable circumstances. Most people forget, we, who buy these ARFs, are at the mercy of other people, the manufacturer which is usually China, customs, shipping and many others. I can't speak for Andrew Kondor, but after many phone calls, I am convinced he will take care of a problem should there be one or NO matter how bad I wanted this plane, I would not have spent that kind of money with his company.

Just my thoughts.
John
Old 12-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Citation01
My Feedback: (69)

KMP Service.
They now have a facility in Washington as well as Canada with Toll free phone and Fax.

On my order, they not only called to confirm, but emailled tracking numbers as well.

Matt also sent pictures of Skymaster layed out, but I will take and post my own.

John
Old 12-17-2003, 10:05 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Great, but don't plan on me being impressed with a single engine test, take off, or report!!!
Tee Hee
Send Pictures.
Twinman
Old 12-18-2003, 12:47 AM
danmilo

Toucano, the only way for me to judge the quality of the ARF will be to review it up close. I am sorry you had problems with your F-4. I have also had construction problems with other ARFs in the past (Non-KMP). For $399.95 I believe the price is fair for an IMAA legal big bird.

Dan[&:]
Old 12-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Roll On 60

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one on the way also and will report the condition to include glue joints, covering, wood quality, landing gear, fit and finish, flying chareacteristic's, and ground handling. It will probably be around the end of Jan. before I have everything together and ready to go.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:01 PM
danmilo

Well I received the Skymaster in four days. A good sized box arrived Saturday via Fed Ex. I plan on taking a peek inside today, might post pics tonight.

Dan
Old 12-21-2003, 08:48 PM
sousap

I would like to build my own for electric motors
Anyone have CAD plans to share?
regards
sousap
Old 12-21-2003, 10:36 PM
danmilo

Twinman, I noticed your report on the P-38. I bet your son envisioned a nice relaxing trip home from school. How dare you make him dig out those buried spinners on his vacation!!!!<G>

I don't anticipate the one engine out issue should make the news on this plane. I am sure it will just plug along until you want to land. BTW can you give us the scoop on the brakes you installed on the P-38. It would be a great option on this sled!

Dan
Old 12-22-2003, 12:43 AM
danmilo

Alright gentlemen, the pictures of the Skymaster are now posted in my gallery. The wood is laser cut. The fiberglass work looks pretty good. I still want to beef up the fuse a little bit in the cockpit area. The paint looks good. The covering is excellent. CA hinges in flaps, aileron and elevator. Everything in manual is listed in metric sizes. Fairly simplistic instructions. Will rework the faux struts for a more scale appearance.

Dan
Old 12-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Roll On 60

Does anyone have additional pics other than those posted by danmilo. I would like to see someone in construction process. I am still waiting on mine. I guess the package rush has it. Thanks
Old 12-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Edwin

sousap,
There are cad plans at http://plans.rcmodell.hu in the sport section. They're a bit plain but can be scaled to fit your needs.
Edwin
Old 12-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Roll On 60

Received the 337 today, so here is the first impression.
1. The seams on the booms and body are awful. It appears as a dark brown or black line. It is so bad it is unacceptable.
2. The hardware is metric and will thrown away along with the tires, tanks and the rest. The motor mounts are 2 piece.
3. The fiberglass is very thin but may be OK.
4. The covering and paint looks very good. The stripes on the body match the cowls.
It is not shelf paper but I don't know yet what it is.
I don't think 91-4 strokes will fit (to long) but 61-2 strokes will.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:48 AM
twinman

danmilo
Hey, what are kids for!!!!!!!
The brakes worked fine. Taxi's out to the runway with several proportional stops, set them and managed to get the engines up to 75% before the tires started skidding. Let them go unaided and the plane took off like a rockes,,,,,,but did not get to test the landing characteristics......small problems......now where was that shovel.
Twinman
PS Still investigating what happened......NTSB got nothing on me!!!!
Old 12-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Bristol Scout

ORIGINAL: Roll On 60

Received the 337 today, so here is the first impression.
1. The seams on the booms and body are awful. It appears as a dark brown or black line. It is so bad it is unacceptable.
2. The hardware is metric and will thrown away along with the tires, tanks and the rest. The motor mounts are 2 piece.
3. The fiberglass is very thin but may be OK.
4. The covering and paint looks very good. The stripes on the body match the cowls.
It is not shelf paper but I don't know yet what it is.
I don't think 91-4 strokes will fit (to long) but 61-2 strokes will.
"It is so bad it is unacceptable."

I love how people bash "arf's" but they won't/can't build their own plane from a kit.....so that it is "acceptable" to them.

Last time I checked, the pro's entering planes in the scale masters don't bring ARF's, because ARF's are made to be flown and have fun with, not to be so exacting in appearance as to win contests.

I've seen so many of these arf bashing posts by these so called "experts", everyone of them should be made to scratch a large scale craft off a set of plans and enter it in to a scale contest...and see if its acceptable to the pro judges.

Just an opinion from a long time "scratch builder".
Old 12-25-2003, 05:03 PM
Roll On 60

Bristol Scout. I never said I was an expert but congratulations if you are. I was not bashing ARF's, in fact I like them. I was posting an opinion so others will know what to expect should they order the same plane. Hope that is understood.
I also have built many planes from plans and may do more, just don't have the time right now.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX
I started assembly today and found the following:
1. The paint will crack off the edges of the windshield when trimming, be very careful. Will have to repaint. It fits very good after trimming.
2. The instructions need improving but they are understandable.
3. The center wing section goes on very nice and fits the wing seat nicely.
4. The air scoop for the back engine fits well on the wing.
5. Check all glue joints, some need attention.
6. The windows fit properly.
7. The seams on the booms and body (white areas) are unacceptable to me but can be corrected with 6-10 hours of work by sanding, filling and repainting.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:20 AM
danmilo

Twinman, who's brake system did you use? Air or cable? Special wheels required?

Dan
Old 12-26-2003, 08:02 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

What you say!
This ARF WILL NOT COMPETE AT SCALEMASTERS !
That does it........................ box it up and ship this thing back to China
Better call Ziroli and let him know I will not be attending this year.

HA HA
People lets get real here.
ITS A ARF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like the old Trident commercial
" 4 out of 5 dentists surveyed recomended sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum"

Now lets rewrite it for today and Model airplanes!

4 out of 5 people recognize this airplane to a STAND -OFF SCALE of the real thing.
Lets all stand back and realize what we are buying and what to expect.
Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greg
Old 12-30-2003, 06:47 PM
twinman

danmilo
If you go to the post about the installation of the brakes, I gave all details.
The brakes came from Spring Air and the wheels are Robart, as the brakes are for those wheels.
Hope this helps.
Twinman
Old 01-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Roll On 60

Mine is now ready to go. Here is what I found during assembly.
The seams on the body and booms had to be sanded. They looked bad. Used 3-M striping tape to cover the sanded seams. The location of the throttle servos when using 2 stroke engines are at the wrong level. Had to move both. No decals are included. Paint on the canopy cracks off very easy. Had to repaint. The nose gear is to short to go through the wheel pant, wheel and still get a wheel collar on. Had to buy a nose gear and bend to correct length. The aileron and flap servo plates will not fit the cutouts. Had to make new ones and cover them. The wing struts are not well thought out and go on in an odd fashion. Function is also questionable. Air flow to the rear engine doesn't have direction so a tunnel was made to direct the air.
The hardware is awful. Discarded most of it.
The manufacture could do a much better job at the price of this plane.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:38 PM
helokid

ROLL ON 60 CAN YOU POST PICS OF THE MODS YOU HAVE DONE TO THE 337 MIXMASTER. I DO HATE TO HEAR ABOUT THIS[&o], AS I HAVE ONE ON ORDER. LATE US KNOW ABOUT THE FRIST FLIGHT.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:03 AM
sousap

hi,

on a twin push-pull airplane does the rear engine have different RPM or different prop. pitch?

air speed on the rear prop. is different from the front one...

just thinking...

Sousap
Old 01-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Roll On 60

Helokid: I will have a friend take some pictures and get them posted in the next few days.
Sousap: I am using 2-OS-61 FX. The front prop is a 11 X 8 and the rear is 11 X 7 pusher. I couldn't get a 11 X 8 pusher by APC. I have flown push-pull before and the RPM is not all that important in this configuration. Side by side, yes, but not front rear.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:40 PM
helokid

hello roll on 6
looking forward to see the pic's on the 337 mixmaster. Over all is the kit worth the $399.00 price tag, also is the fiberglass a heavy ply or light ply?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.