Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 07:48 PM
jmupilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

Here's some pics of the O-2. Have a few more decals to put on and install the windshield, windows and, radio. I'll keep them coming as i progress.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87441.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	106410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74967.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	106411   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27929.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	106412  
Old 02-29-2004, 07:59 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What muffler are you using on the back engine? Did you weld one up yourself or did you modify a name brand?

Don
Old 02-29-2004, 08:51 PM
jmupilot

Don, I think its a Tatone. I had it lying around the shop. I have been told to try and keep the rear engine area airflow cool. Also it is lighter than a Pitts style muffler, although I think you could put one in there. Its a strap on style muffler, but I have had to make an adapter plate to fit the Fox 40 BB on the rear of the plane. There is lots of room in both cowlings for just about any style muffler. I think the TopFlite In-cowl mufflers for thier Cessna 182 would work also.

Pete
Old 02-29-2004, 09:02 PM
jmupilot

Here are some pic's of the real Navy O-2's

Pete

Name:	Yv66120.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	106438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97574.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	106439  
Old 03-02-2004, 08:25 PM
OV10
My Feedback: (1)

Skymaster ready to go, just waiting on the Ohio weather to get lots better, not sure how to load pic's
Pic's in gallery.

David
Old 03-03-2004, 08:07 AM
jmupilot

Looking good there Dave. Let us know how it flys. What engines do you have on your Skymaster, and can you give us the all up weight for comparison to the others who are building one. I like the wing section idea, I wish I had thought about that 15 years ago while this one was being built. But then things were built as per plans. Im still not sure i like the servos in the middle of the wing thing and bell cranks for all the controls., I may end up cutting the bottom of the wing out and puting the aileron servos in the wing yet. Wouldn't be a big thing to do.

Pete
Old 03-05-2004, 03:45 PM
atsioukl

David and Pete,

Your Skymasters look awesome! Great job by both of you. Please keep us updated on how the models fly. Thanks for keeping this thread going.

Anthony
Old 03-12-2004, 11:52 PM
O2AFAC67

Default RE: RE: MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

Hi, guys. Just uploaded some O-2 pics for you. (I think!) I am the person who acquired the two US Navy O-2A's back in 1991 from the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. We have a group down here near Houston (A CAF wing) which flies a "Viet Nam Warbird Tribute" airshow routine all over the South. Narration and "Rolling Stones" music help set the stage for us. We have used as many as eight ships in our routine. Next one is in Burnet, Texas April 10th. Come see us!

Sincerely,

Ron Scott
Old 03-16-2004, 10:34 AM
atsioukl

Default RE: RE: MARUTAKA cessna Skymaster Kit questions

Ron,

I can't seem to find the picks. If you have time, please try to re-upload them. I'd sure like to see them.

Thanks,

Anthony
Old 03-16-2004, 11:45 AM
O2AFAC67

Default O-2 Photos

Well, I finally figured out how to work this messge board thing. I uploaded 6 pics into my "gallery" for you guys and a few are attached to this post as well. Hope they are of interest for you.

Ron Scott

Name:	Tr51558.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	112015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72322.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	112016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40905.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	112017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28970.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	112018  
Old 03-17-2004, 12:14 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched the movie BAT 21, and that is such a cool plane, I thought I'd research it and see if I can find a fairly large model, giant scale if possible. Any help in finding one would be appreciated. Plans may even be okay, I could always send them to a kit-cutter.

Jimbo
Old 03-17-2004, 01:05 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: The_GeeBee_Jimbo

I just watched the movie BAT 21, and that is such a cool plane, I thought I'd research it and see if I can find a fairly large model, giant scale if possible. Any help in finding one would be appreciated. Plans may even be okay, I could always send them to a kit-cutter.

Jimbo
Ramone Torres' 1/5 scale 337 (with optional retracts) is available here: http://www.rtaerospace.com/rc_scale.htm

Don
Old 03-17-2004, 02:29 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Precision kit cutters has the Hostetler Skymaster kit 119" wing span.

www.precisioncutkits.com

Jim
Old 04-07-2004, 11:42 AM
TimeFLYING
My Feedback: (3)

Bump [8D]
Old 04-11-2004, 07:08 AM
jmupilot

You trying to keep this thread alive Time? I'll keep posting info as my O-2 (Skymaster) progresses. I have the radio installed and engines inplace. Now just need to get everything tuned up. The windows, and front windscreen need to be put in. I'll try and post some more pics.

Pete
Old 04-26-2004, 12:48 PM
jmupilot

Ran the engines up last night on the skymaster. different sound than my other twin, but the 2 40's are really pulling and pushing hard. I hope the front engine gets enough cooling air. Seemed hot after a few miuntes of running. hope to get the thing finished this week. Still have to put the windows in. and a few more decals. My skymaster comes in at 10 lbs. giving a wing loading of around 28 oz/sq ft. Will post some inflight oics when i get it in the air.

Pete
Old 04-26-2004, 01:05 PM
O2AFAC67

Hi, Pete. Sounds like you're getting there. Still planning on decal' ing it as my bird, 593?
Love to see it fly! Did you get all the photos I sent you?

Ron
Old 04-26-2004, 03:21 PM
jmupilot

Hi, ron. Yes its gonna be 593. I found the closest font I could for the nose numbers and the NJ on the tail. I'll post some pictures of the completed model as soon as I get it finished. I took it to the field the other day and got some looks when they saw US NAVY on the OV-2. Seems they didnt think the Navy had them. Most though they were Air Force and US Army birds. cant wait to see this airplane on the wing. Only wish some one made retracts for the smaller versions. There is a larger one that has retracts available, but its kinda hard to stuff all the mechanics needed for Cessnas complex retract system in this small of a bird with out the weight penalty...

Yes got the photos you sent thanks,

Pete
Old 09-17-2004, 04:31 PM
kpursuit

HI all

Just finished my Marutaka 337 kit.
Definitely an advanced builders kit.
Some thinks are not it the instructions like the amount of wsh-out on wings. When alll wing rinbs are lined up it is obvious but nothing in instructions about it.
Anyone found while fitting the tail plane that the angle of incidence of the kit parts is different from the plan angle.
Plan has 0 angle of incidence where kit parts are cut for about -3 angle.

C of G is as per plans.

Have tried fast taxing and then easing back on elevator, did not work.

OOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPs.

Lept into air, stalled at about 2m and heavy landing on nose wheel.
Am next going to add a little up trim on elevator each fast run.

All for now
Old 09-17-2004, 07:10 PM
gow589

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Those Royal Marutaka kits are something. I built a Royal stearman a while back. The instructions were as follows:

Glue the 8 large balsa blocks to former.
Glue on firewall
Sand to shape.

Your intial reaction is, Darn, I lost a pag in my instruction booklet, that can't be right!

It wasn't as bad as it seemed though. If 40 grit doesn't cut it fast enough, just rub it on the asphalt.

Gary
Old 10-04-2004, 11:33 AM
atsioukl

Did you take any pictures of your Skymaster? I would love to see them.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:36 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There's a guy in one of our local clubs with the Aviomodelli kit- looks great, has it painted up like the Navy version O-2. He has 2-strokes in his, can't remember what size, .40-somethings I think. One thing about his- sitting static, the plane is tail-heavy, it won't rest on the nose gear, but rocks back on the tail. He says it is balanced right and it seems to fly pretty well. Somebody flew it for him at our last fly-in, he held the tail up until the pilot throttled up for takeoff, didn't see it land, though.
I recently saw another version in one of the r/c mags, can't remember brand or mag issue (Alzheimer's flareup I guess) but the notable thing I do remember about it was that the ad said it would fly on either engine alone and the engines didn't have to be the same size. It may be a bit smaller than the ones you're looking at, seems like the engine range was .25-.40.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:46 PM
N. Albers

Hi, Skymaster fans!

I followed your discusssion from earlier this year. I have always dreamt of a Skymaster, there were only the Marutaka and the Krick version (the latter is a German company).

I just bought a new kit from a German company (Eurolight). It is made in China and it seems to me that the maker is ESM? It has 2280 mm wing span, engines .61 2 cycle or .91 4-cycle. Nice ARF-kit. I know, ARF isn't for everybody. I consider myself a model-builder eager to inhale wood dust, but this kit was just too tempting. So far, the parts are still sitting in the box. I am thinking about some technical details, such as the rear muffler. How should I get the exhaustion out? 180 degree curve with a flexible muffler attachment? How did you do this in the Marutaka kit?

Anybody out there with any experience with this kit?

I am also interested in all the other Skymaster kit experiences.

Greetings,

Norbert
Old 10-30-2004, 09:07 AM
jmupilot

My Marataka (Royal) Kit, the rear muffler is a Tatone muffler that I had. It's a expansion type can muffler that I had to make an adapter to fit the exhaust pattern on the engine I used on the rear. I just used a piece of 5/32 aluminum sheet that I drilled and taped to fit the muffler and engine bolt patterns. The exhast tube exits to the rear, and clears the prop by about 1/4 inch. I'll try to get a picture of it so you can see. For some of the 4 stroke engines there are Flexible exhaust options available. For the 2 stroke you may find the TopFlite IN-COWL muffler is an option. Tower hobbies sell them for most of the popular 60 size engines. It consists of a header that is very shallow and a flex tube to a firewall mounted muffler can, Very similar to the full size exhaust set up on full size Cessnas. Your larger Model may be able to use this setup. The Marataka kit is to confining in the cowlings or I would have gone that route myself.

Pete
Old 10-30-2004, 09:11 AM
jmupilot

Norbert, I you go back to page 1 of this thread you can see my muffler on some of the previous pictures of my model. it does exit the rear cowl, but the TopFlite IN Cowl would give you a really scale exhaust set up on your larger model.

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.