Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Is there a decent tachometer out there?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Is there a decent tachometer out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 11:31 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a decent tachometer out there?

This might not be the right forum for this question, but I figure that multi-engine pilots are probably using a tach as much as anyone else.
I'm having trouble getting consistent readings from the tach I have. Is there a secret to using them? I had one type first, (won't mention the brand name, maybe I had a bad one), but it simply wouldn't work consistently. It was a combination DVM/tachometer. The DVM works fine. I bought another brand, tachometer only which has worked pretty decent until today, when I couldn't get the thing to settle on a consistent reading. It was all over the scale when checking top end, it would fluctuate anywhere from 6k to 15k. This was outside in bright sunlight. I haven't had trouble with it before. In fact, it's the same tach I used when breaking in the engines on the test stand, with the same props, and it worked perfect. Battery is good also. It just acted like it couldn't get a grip on the rpm. anybody got any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks,
Randy
Old 02-28-2004, 11:42 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is there a decent tachometer out there?

I was hesitant to get a TNC tach but now no regrets at all. Works 3-5 feet away even in low light conditions. Don's hobby has the best price, I think.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:42 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went thru two Glo-Bees[sic] that never worked right. Bought a TNC several years ago and it works every time.
Fred B
Old 03-01-2004, 01:10 AM
bentgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy, you might just need to take an alcohol swab and clean the lens a little. May have a build up of glo fuel crud on it. But if you want to buy a good one that should be the last one you have to buy, get a TNC.

Ed M.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:31 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info. Now, where do I get a "TNC" tach at? I've never heard of one.
Randy