Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

C 130 Herk

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 06:13 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C 130 Herk

Just info,, the Herk post have been quiet for a while,, New photos of my herk,, Can you see what is really happening to the bird in the photos.? These were flights 3 and 4 I have 22 flights todate. Take a look,, lots going on in the pics..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31198.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	134762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67057.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	134763   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26418.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	134764  
Old 05-21-2004, 06:30 PM
wilinfla
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: C 130 Herk

Too bad you can't actually feather number 4 like the real thing! I've been through quite a few 3 engine landings and the real thing seems to handle them fine.........
Old 05-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Jim Great photos with the back ground. The Herk looks nice. Haven't done much on mine in a while. I extended the center section 4 in for bigger props. Hope to get more done in the next couple weeks.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:32 PM
jimcork1

What size engines are you going to use? Also I found on a project this big don't let it sit too long.. I tried to fly today but grass at our field was 12" high and didn't want to foul the bird in the high grass.

PS the real herk does fly ok on 3,, but on 2 at 120,000 gross wt,, it is a bear to do a landing with two engines out on one side. Then landing is very fast, for a Herk,, and no flap. If you let the bird sink on final there is/was not enough power to recover an E model.

Don't want to even try the model on 2 on one side.. Probably would make smokin hole..
Old 05-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Jim I am using 52 four strokes. we fly at 6000 ft.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:27 PM
BobS
My Feedback: (3)

Jim,
I followed all the building articles you guys posted on R/C Universe. After about 1/2 way thru them I bought and built one like yours. It's all done and weighs in at 17#. I have 4 Magnum 30s ready to go. Here in Wisconsin we have had rain for a month. If it ever stops, I'll give the Herk a try. I saw your pictures in the AMA magazine. The plane looks good. I was going to paint mine like the 440th Air Wing in Milwaukee, but got no cooperation from the base. Have you got any suggestions or tips I could use for the first flight?

Bob S
Old 05-22-2004, 08:32 PM
nolanwb

Very Interesting. Having flown the "ski" version of the C-130 a zillion years ago I can tell you that it will fly on two engines without a problem--two out on one side, too. At least my version would. Note that the "A" models came with three-bladed props. Years later they were modified for four-bladed props. The three-bladed version performed better.
Note that the "A" and "D" models had the pylon fuel tank outside of the outboard engines...etc.

It would be interesting to see someone do their C-130 model as a LC-130 model. For more visit www.firebirds.org

Regards, N
Old 05-23-2004, 07:22 AM
jimcork1

Default First Flight with C 130 Herk

I will assume you have set the control throws up as per previous thread.

If you have a long runway I would make the first take off with 50% flaps. Don't pull the flaps up until you are at cruise altitude.
This is when I pull up the flaps, When the flaps are up you have less drag, the plane will fly faster and you can pull back the throttles.

Fly and trim as any normal plane. I also use mixing of aileron to rudder. About 1/4" deflecton of the rudder for full aileron. (this will help with engine out)

I do my landings at 50% flaps and fly a steep final approach so that if an engine quits while approaching the runway I can still land.

Also,, when you round out in the flare this plane will slow down very rapidly and drop in if you don't add a small amount of power when you flare. Just as you begin to level off prior to touch down add a little power and then take it off for touch down.

After the first flight and you have your trims / mixing set, I would take off at full 100% flaps but still land at 50%. If you land at full flaps you will slow very rapidly in the flare and drop it in.

The plane stalls very softly. But I came close to a stall when I had an engine drop rpm at take off. If you lose power on take off pull the throttle back just enough to hear engine speed change and slightly lower the nose and the plane will fly out given the engine doesn't quit totally.

Good luck and give us an update when you fly.. Jim
Old 05-23-2004, 12:01 PM
BobS
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: First Flight with C 130 Herk

Jim,
Thanks for the info on my first flight. I still can't get used to using all that flap on takeoff, but I will give it a try. I guess the secret to multi engine flying is to keep all the engines running. I'm also flying a KMP P-38 and rap on wood the engines are holding up well. When the rain stops, I'll let you know how the first flight went.

Bob S