Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

I need some hlep finding some twin engined airplanes!

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

I need some hlep finding some twin engined airplanes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 09:13 PM
AkA_Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some hlep finding some twin engined airplanes!

Hi guys, like the subject says I need help finding some twin engined airplanes. Even though i'm not going to be in twins for a while. (Just getting off my dad's trainer I just turned 17 aug. 3rd) I just like to have web sites of air planes on my favorites for future references. Ok let me give you some examples of the type of planes i'm looking for. I saw a Bud Nosen cessna 310 in the market place here on rcu. that intrested me, also I would be intrested in a Beechcraft Baron 58 which, i've never seen before as an R/C model. Now that you know what type of planes i'm inrtested in Please help me. you can also give me some ideas on older war birds if you'd like. When you right about a plane please give me the web site to the airplane.

Any help will be very much appreciated Chris.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:23 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: I need some help finding some twin engined airplanes!

Chris:

I think the biggest help I can give you now is advise against a scale twin. Generally speaking they re harder to fly than sport airplanes, as well as being more expensive.

Fly single for a while, when you get to the point where a dead stick flight is almost an impossibility for you, then think about twins.

Until you can keep an engine running without a problem you will be cussing (and maybe crashing) more than flying with a twin.

Bill.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:17 PM
AkA_Chris

Default RE: I need some hlep finding some twin engined airplanes!

Hi bill,

Thanks, I plan to keep learning with our trainer, but I do want to start looking ahead on the web for more twin engine planes than I've already found. Any responses pointing me to twin engine airplane links are appreciated.

Chris
Old 08-07-2004, 05:41 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

AkA_Chris
HI Chris.
Bill is correct, do not get into twins too fast. Made that big mistake with a dualist as third plane and P-38 as the forth.
If you must, consider my post on how to bash a single, perhaps your trainer, (believe it or not), into a twin. For example, a Kadett bashed into a twin really flies well.....Better with three,,,,,,,,,forget the post 6 months ago about 5....did not fly well, but really sounded neat.
If we can help, let us know.
Please don't think we are tring to discourage you or doubt your skills, but it can really get frustrating and expensive to jump to twins and MUCH worse, scale twins, too fast.
Good Luck,
Twinman
Old 08-08-2004, 08:17 PM
AkA_Chris

Hi Twinman and Bill,

Thanks for the information.

I wasn't actually wanting to buy or fly a twin for a few years. (I relize getting into them too early would have some consequences.)

I was just looking for more of these planes on the internet for now.

Any links to photos or video clips is all I'm looking for for now.

Chris
Old 08-08-2004, 08:44 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: I need some help finding some twin engined airplanes!

Chris:

I didn't respond with links because by the time you're wanting one things may well have changed.

However.

The best trainer is [link=http://www.ne-aero.com/]here[/link] at Northeast Aerodynamics, the Twin-Air 45.

There is a Twin-Air build thread in this section that has two videos near the end. The airplane shown is the T-A 45 built with the optional twin rudder system. That plane was, in fact, the prototype plane using the option.

Morris Hobbies has a profile twin they cal a trainer, Twinman likes it, I don't.

VQ and KMP have some twins, all scale models, none really suitable as a trainer.

Dare designs has some nice small twins for electric, they could be converted to glow. A warning here. A small single is a lot harder to fly, generally, than a 40-46 size plane. A small twin is exponentially harder than the small single.

My avatar is a picture of my first twin. Twinman told you about his error in the selection of his first twin, my pick was an error too. It was far from being my third plane, it has never been crashed, but it still wasn't the right way to go.

When you get your first twin make it the physically largest airplane you can afford and transport, and a thick wing for a low air speed The bigger it is and the slower it flies the slower it will react, giving you a lot more time to correct your mistakes before it hits the ground. Back on my first - it is a small semi-scale war bird with a high wing loading, almost a guarantee of disaster. Flying it has taken a few years off my life with the scares it has given me.

There are other videos here also, just do a search using " twin AND video " to find more.

Bill.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:40 PM
AkA_Chris

Bill,

Thanks for the information and the link.

Chris
Old 09-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Don Perry
My Feedback: (51)

Go to my web page www.rnlinc.com to see my R/C Baron's I have two. They fly great! and were my first twin, both fly as good as my real one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83394.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	169684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37182.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	169685  
Old 09-06-2004, 03:34 PM
mossi

Hello Chris
I have been scatch building and flying twins for about 15 years now and found that the civilian planes are easier to fly than WWII planes. Don't let this discourage you. Like the rest of us you will have your ups and downs hopefully more ups. There is nothing like the sound of two or more engines running. Since I started flying twins I rarely fly singles. It may cost more but the rush is worth it. If you have any questions e-mail me any time.
Jerry

Name:	Om33788.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	170846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77251.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	170847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86149.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	170848  
Old 09-11-2004, 01:25 PM
AkA_Chris

Guys,

Thanks for the info. Those planes are nice i really like the baron 58. unfortunately I won't be getting into twins for awhile.

Don Perry,

That is the first beech craft Barron i've seen as an R/C model! is it scratch built or, a kit or, did you buy plans? Oh and I liked your site.

Mossi,

What kind of plane is that in your 1st photo (guessing) Cessna 310?

Again thanks for the info guys.

Chris
Old 11-03-2004, 08:33 PM
mossi

This planes are all scrach build from plans,exept for the Cessna310 , this was a Bud Nosen partial box of balsa, very bad kit, thi my is well be scrach build too. If you need more info on any building let me know. I be glad to help Jerry

Name:	Mk26904.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	189645  
Old 11-14-2004, 05:11 PM
feihu-RCU

Chris -

Here are a couple of photos of my scratch built Beechcraft Baron B-55, 50" wingspan, powered by OS Max .15s. Flew great and sold it years ago to a fellow who "Had to have it".

feihu

Name:	Ro41727.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	192948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69633.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	192949  
Old 01-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shucks, just jump into twins with both feet and get a F-15 with two Jet Cat P-120's and I'll teach you how to fly it.
I forget... do those things use 10 or 20% nitro?
Old 01-25-2005, 03:25 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Neither, 15% REALLY.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Toolman-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

It's always good to start dreaming about your next project. I do think certain civilian aircraft can be docile flyers. My RCM Piper Seneca flys like a single. You can check out my build thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/RCM_...2527730/tm.htm
Old 01-27-2005, 02:31 AM
vrpro

Saw your post and thought I would let you know I am working on our new design of the Cessna 310. Having built 3 of the Bud Nosen 310's, when getting our laser cutter we desided to improve on this kit. We are redesigning it from the ground up. We plan to offer the full kit only with fiberglass cowels. One of the improvments we are making will be plans for both right and left wing rather than one wing that you have to flip to build the other. We are putting the servos into the wings rather than bell cranks. Adding an option for flaps, just to name a few of the many changes. Not to mention all laser cut!

The first will be a 88" followed shortly by a 120" and a 168" span. The cost of the kits will be determined within the next 30 days. We are working on a 60 size sport twin.

If you would like info email me at [email protected] and I will put you on the mailing list for info.

Thanks and good luck

Keith
Old 12-28-2005, 10:11 PM
pajaro
My Feedback: (51)

hi'' mossi
do you have the plan for the cessna 310? if you do would you sell me a copy of them?
thanks pedro.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:30 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

My first twin was the Twinstar and it was my fourth plane a year after I started flying. Preceeded by a Trainer, Phaeton II bipe and Thunder Tiger Sport Flyer 40.

Twins are definitely a challenge and have some unique characteristics to consider but not something you should have to wait years to get into. You will be the best judge of when you're ready for it. Get some stick time on a fast sport plane. Find someone in your club that flies twins who can help you out and go for it!

I definitely would not recommend a scale twin to start out on but again that depends on your flying skill and knowledge of flight characteristics as to what you think you can handle (and/or afford to crash)

Realistic assessment of your flying abilities, knowledge of flight and a good mentor will get you there!

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Another twin (ARF)

Do a search for the Gemini twin.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:09 PM
forestroke

i think william robison said something that rings so true. don't try a twin unless you can fly a single without any deadsticks. i'm glad i heard that!!! i will brush up on my engine tuning technique before attempting the twin!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 11:33 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

That ARF Bronco flys great !! Real easy and tame. I think you can still build one if you prefer. Hobby Hanger, I believe is the site connected to Rich U's site.

Jack Stafford models has a great Comanche. I bit advanced on the building side. But I understand your just testing the waters. And the 310 to get is the Royal kit. They are only on Ebay or sometimes for sale here and fetching close to 300 bucks.

Goldberg Tigers were bashed into twins all the time years ago. They flew pretty good.

I kit bashed a Johnny cashburn Super Lucky Fly into a twin Beech in 1991. I flew it for 11 years and sold it. I think it is still around somewhere. That was a miracle. You can kit bash anything you like.

CMP has a nice Mosquito, but the suggested weight seems a tad high. Old OOP Byron Baron kits show up on ebay from time to time as do the Joe Bridi Rockwell Comanders. The Comanders need new wing cores. There are folks here on RCU that cut them.

There are several P38 kits, Royal and others, but I read horror stories here on RCU about some folks experience with them.

There is a nice ARF B25 out on the market now. Its a tad exspensive.

So there are plenty of twin kits around , if you know what to look for. They are getting scarce. Its not a bad idea to squirrel a few away for later.

I got burned out on twins, at least for a while. Its a different type of flying. Its a great thrill. I would put the thrill on an even par with jets. But it is a very deliberate type of technical flying. You have to be in the mood for it. You have to think more and plan more.
It isn't nearly as care free as flying singles. Just so you know.

I really like civilian scale. I want you to know that it does my heart good to hear a young person that has an interest in civil scale.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:01 AM
oldtyme

Chris,

Royal/Marutaka used to make a Baron 58 and a friend of mine just bought one here not
too long before Hobby Barn and Marutaka quit manufacturing/importing the kits. I have seen
one every so often on Ebay but they do go for a pretty good price. You might watch and snag
one if you see it and then put it on a shelf for a few years. At least you'd have it.

Just a thought,
Andy
Old 12-31-2005, 03:18 PM
fyredog

My 1st twin will be a twinstar, they are ARF's but from what I have read, they are great flying planes even with an engine out. They go for 109.00 at Tower Hobby.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get your TwinStar, be sure to iron the trim down. It's also a good idea to use clear nail polish or something on the edges of the trim. Trust me, it comes off in the air. The red peels first.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:11 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Ed,
Isn't that a Cedar Hobbies twin stick from http://www.cedarhobbies.net/index.ph...desc&product=5
I am working to add a third engine on mine. A word of warning on this plane, if you program engine thrust to rudder throw. If you go into a very fast spin, and you can, be warned that if too fast the engine at idle and so in reverse will lose it's fuel as the fuel is spun away from the tank.
Mine now has over 100 flights and this is the biggest problem I have had. Bigger than the Twin Star, but lands like a stick.
Twinman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.