Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Maratuka/Royal B-17 advice/help

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Maratuka/Royal B-17 advice/help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 10:33 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maratuka/Royal B-17 advice/help

Fall is fast approaching here, I don't currently have anything on the building board, and am getting in the "stir crazy" mode. I've been considering the Maratuka/Royal B-17, or possibly building another B-25. Built one of those years ago. Anyone had any experience with the B-17 kit they can enlighten me on, such as what size engines will it accept, flying qualities, etc. I've built a couple Royal kits many years ago, and am familiar with those. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy
Old 09-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maratuka/Royal B-17 advice/help

I have a Royal B-17 that has laid in an unfinished state for 10 years. It was set up around OS 26 fourstrokes one of which is still on one of the nacells. The reason that I quit on the project was that the projected weight was coming out in the 14+ lb range when all of the equipment was installed.
With the new servos now available and the current crop of batteries it would be possible to drop at least a lb from the completed ship.
I did see one fly at our field several years back. This particular plane came in at 17 yes 17 lbs and had 35s for power. It flew like a pattern plane and landed like a ducted fan plane.
I have moved on to giant scale over the years so this thing is still setting at the 80% stage. Should I ever finish it, I will probably abandon the lovely fourstroke sound and go for some new generation 15s.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:23 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, Gremlin, that's the info I was looking for. That seems to be a little heavy for a plane that small. Been also considering Bob Sealys D-18. Built his C-130 and really enjoyed building and flying it.
Thans again,
Randy
Old 09-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Sorry I didn't have something more positive. I Know that lots of them have flown but no one has ever said that they flew like a B-17. I think that they can be made into something but for the effort I would build a slightly larger one.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Wizby

New member hear built a Royal B-17 lot of work mine came out at 13.25 lbs with 4 os cva 15s lots ov power flys great no retracks built for fun fly I do not have plane now sold to frend neads some repairs after rouft landing wing load a littel to high im now going to build one a littel bigger hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86111.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	170731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29938.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	170732