Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

dualest 2/60

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 10:09 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: dualest 2/60

ORIGINAL: DamonTX

Does anyone have any pictures of the 2/40 or 2/60. I've looked in the galleries and found a few (had do 4 searches with 4 different spellings "dualist, duallist, duelist, duellist). I'm interested in seeing all the different setups people have used. Also noting the differences in the nose, nacelles, tail, engine position and flaps. A "bare bones" picture would be great too.

For those who've built them, could you tell use a little about your radio setups? I'd like to plan out a 2/60 so I'm interested in number/types of servos. Did you use bellcranks in the wings? What type of battery(s) did you use? Tell me about the throttle setup. This would really help those of us who're building one for the first time. (Hopefully a bunch of us will be building them when Northeast Aerodynamics get their next lot of kits produced)
Hi, an Welcome to the Duellist 260..pages and there are a lot of em..

As to mine am going to use my Futaba Super 7 with normal size servos, except for throttle control which will have mini servos for throttle mounted in the nacelles. Then will use CG bell cranks but will double them and thread them with 6/32 tap (double bellcranks and pivoted on 6/32 machine screws, then use the 4/40 threaded ends...But these are then doubled again so that I can drive the ailerons twice at about the 1/3rd point of each aileron...in other words there will be two actuation points and two horns per aileron...gets rid of flutter that way.

Hope that helps somewhat..

BTW: Bill, the nacelles on mine (kit #11) are perfectly even as to length. Just thought you may want to know.

Are We Havin Fun Yet.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:14 PM
DamonTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like that idea of dual control points on the ailerons. I figured I'd do the belcranks for the aileron but hadn't even considered or even seen an example of your idea.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:36 PM
GSNut

I really like that idea of dual control points on the ailerons. I figured I'd do the belcranks for the aileron but hadn't even considered or even seen an example of your idea.

Lets see what I can do with a keyboard..and use the right wing..

Servo --------------Drive Line----------L---------------------L
. .
. .

Consider the dashed line a push/pull rod..
Use a dual aileron ball link at the first Bellcrank (L)
Then from there another push/rod to a ball link at the second Bellcrank.

Everyone will be bent out of shape to the word pushrods but for lack of a better term..
Here's what I use...the blue outer nyrod for the guide section. Then 1/16 music wire with the yellow inner part and cut 1 1/4 inch sections from the inner nyrod, spaced these on the music wire where needed normally about 3 or 4 per section ..CY those onto the music wire and silver solder on your 2/56 threaded ends. Then slide this into the blue nyrod guide..do this from the servo to and from each bellcrank and to the control horn or I use a bolt through a hard point mounted in the aileron.

Note: round off each end of the short sections of the yellow part so it will not dig in going around a slight misalignment of the outer blue nyrod guide.

It can't bend internally and won't bind if you do it right....then to it will last much longer than the aircraft will.

I've done this since nyrod came out and have not had a failure one. Even on giant size being cranked around the sky with a G-62 or a 5.8 Titan.. though I do pull/pull those.

I learned the hard way that standard pushrods are hard on servos as the momentum of the pushrod will destroy a servo in most anykind of a hard bump. Let alone a tumble or a crash.

Probably clear as mud..??
Old 12-10-2004, 10:54 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Damon:

I've done them every way from single throttle servo and single aileron servo up to four aileron servos and dual servos for the throttle. Doug's rig with the dual push rods looks good, but I'd always be worried about something coming loose.

I've settled on split ailerons with the inner sections available as flaps if desired, and naturally, that's four servos. Excepting the smallest twins I've stuck with one servo per throttle. That makes six servos in the wing.

Flaps are not needed on the Duellist plane series, but if you want dedicated flaps they can be operated by a single servo at the center of the wing. You will not be able to use them as ailerons using one servo, of course.

If you're worried about weight the Hitec HS-225 servos have the power of a standard servo and the size and weight of a mini. My Tiggerkitty has a full complement of HS-205s, they were slightly modified and Hitec renumbered them HS-225. Good servos, not too expensive.

Pictures? Here's two of Lonnie Fuller's SD 2/60 in the bones, ChuckAuger's hot rod with the piped engines, and Jim Greenwood's beautiful green and white plane.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57338.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	201499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31880.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	201500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77778.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	201501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23647.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	201502  
Old 12-10-2004, 11:05 PM
William Robison

Damon:

Here's another 2/40 which is long gone. Sold, not crashed. I'm ashamed to find I have no pictures of a Mk II version, all the finished planes shown are Mk I aircraft.

Also, two pictures of the framework set together, and one of a half skinned wing.

Bill.

Name:	Mk27348.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	201503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80972.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	201504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20458.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	201505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99992.jpg
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	201506  
Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 PM
William Robison

Damon:

Neglected to mention the bones plane in the last post was built as a twin tail version, but I'd think you've already noticed that.

Here are two pictures of a 2/60 still in bones, I have no idea what the reason is for all the diagonals in the wing. I asked him, never got an answer.

Bill.

>>EDIT to add another picture. Not a Duellist 2/60, it's bigger. This is our esteemed "TwinMan" with one of his bashes, you can see the four aileron servos. Also a shot of the servos in the Tiggerkitty. The one in the left front, with cables attached, is the throttle. wr.

Name:	Jh16155.jpg
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	201508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78325.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	201509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20540.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	201510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22483.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	201511  
Old 12-10-2004, 11:33 PM
DamonTX

Bill & Doug:

Thank you very much. This is great I'm getting some great ideas here. It's nice having these pictures to go by for details. For instance, on your black duellist, you did the rear of the nacelles the way I was thinking they should look. I like the pointy nose of Jim Greenwood's plane but without the flat spot in front of the canopy which I'm guessing was a Mark I design.

I don't see the reason for the diagonals. After sheeting and covering, that wing would be plenty strong enough. Besides there's already enough going on inside the wing to have all those diagonals to deal with.

Doug, I'm gonna give that a try. Since I'm a big fan of access hatches, I'll probably have one over each bellcrank though. Yes, your instructions made perfect sense. Gonna copy all this and make a notebook for the shop!

Thanks again,
Damon
Old 12-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Deadstik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

William,

Thanks for posting the Duelist 240 pics... but the question remains.. has anybody finished and flown a 2/60????? After all w/ 200 kits out there for quite a while I would have thought somebody would have finished one, flown it and posted the pictures. I'd hate the think the kits were made up and everybody "collected" them.....as for flying R/C around Va. Beach... how can you fly anywhere else after flying at Fentress???.....

take care,
Dan
aka deadstik........[8D]
Old 12-11-2004, 12:08 AM
William Robison

Dead:

Where did the 200 kits come from? We only made 50 complete ones. And they are getting built now. As I said earlier, the only one ready for flight I know of is Lonnie Fuller's, and he's not on the net. Pictures of his have come to me through EHFleming.

Yes, Fentress is a beautiful place to fly. And it was 15 minutes from my house. For those who don't know, the main runway there is 8000' long, and even the taxiways are wide enough for most r/c planes to take off across them with room to spare.

But down here, five of our EIGHT fields have paved runways just as nice, evne though they are only 5000' long. Two fields are all grass for the glider boys, the eighth field isn't finished yet. The east-west runway is in, we'll be paving the north-south by spring.

Bill.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:28 AM
GSNut

Bill & Doug:

Thank you very much. This is great I'm getting some great ideas here. It's nice having these pictures to go by for details. For instance, on your black duellist, you did the rear of the nacelles the way I was thinking they should look. I like the pointy nose of Jim Greenwood's plane but without the flat spot in front of the canopy which I'm guessing was a Mark I design.

I don't see the reason for the diagonals. After sheeting and covering, that wing would be plenty strong enough. Besides there's already enough going on inside the wing to have all those diagonals to deal with.

Doug, I'm gonna give that a try. Since I'm a big fan of access hatches, I'll probably have one over each bellcrank though. Yes, your instructions made perfect sense. Gonna copy all this and make a notebook for the shop!

Thanks again,
Damon
I should have some pictures of the wing with the control runs in about 2 or three days, maybe less if all goes ok...really don't need hatches over the bellcranks to start with..as you could cut em in later if needed. Just finish up some material that you are going to use for that and save it for later on...just a thought..

I like Bills idea of the split ailerons/flaps as flaperons have a tendency to cause tip stalls if applied at the wrong times..not nice at all.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:47 AM
William Robison

Doug:

Hangar 9 likes the split flaps also. Here's a shot of my Ultra Stick 120 with them. Again, four servos in the wing.

Bill.

Name:	Tr50525.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	201551  
Old 12-11-2004, 07:46 AM
rpat

All of this talk of building and mine is in the mail and on the way. I think that Bill said that it is number 14. Hope to get it real soon.
Rich
Old 12-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

I've been watching all the 2/60 threads ever since last year, right after the last short kit was sold. Still no planes flying! And then John Marien was to begin kitting the plane. I even spoke to him about putting me on the prototype list. No news on this, either.

I've been patiently waiting...

Bill, do you know where John stands on this?

And if anyone has a 2/60 kit that that needs a good home, please let me know! [8D]

Walt
Old 12-11-2004, 11:54 AM
William Robison

Walt:

John will sell you the cut wood now, you'll have to supply the rest of it, and get your own plans as he hasn't finished his version.

If you get the plan for the Duellist 2/40 Mk II and have Kinko's enlarge it by 25% you'll have what we started with, or perhaps you can send a note to EHFleming and get our finished version.

Anyway, if you want the kit parts and plan right now, it can be had. Not as convenient as the packaged kit, but it's all there.

Bill.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

I just traded e-mails with John. He is still working on the 2/60 but it sounds like it will be a few months before he has it ready to go. To be honest I won't have much time for building for a while, so I will stay in the holding pattern...

Walt
Old 12-11-2004, 03:09 PM
DamonTX

Rich... I am green with envy! [:'(]

Walt...John sounds a really good guy doesn't he? He asked me for any suggestions on the design such as foam wings, fiberglass fuse, built up or combination. I went with built up all the way. The wife complaines about the smell from the workshop when I use all sorts of chemicals. She says I'm deteriorating my brain! Tree-huggin' eco-nut!

Oops, got off track (must be the brain damage). It was clear to me in e-mailing back and forth with John that he would like to get a feeling on how many people are interested in a 2/60. And I don't doubt that he will be putting a few kits out as soon as he's finished with the plans and his shop upgrades in January.

So let him know how you feel. John AT ne-aero.com He would love to hear from you especially if you have any suggestions.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

I sort of initiated the Twin-Tail Twin Air project last year (with some "encouragement" from Bill, Twinman and others) and worked closely with John on the design. We haven't spoken or traded e-mail for a while and I was very glad to hear today that he had not forgotten me.

Yeah, working with John is really great. Someday I want to use some of my frequent flyer milage to hop a plane to NH and go flying with him. If I could only figure out how to sneak a Twin Air (or better yet a 2/60!) in with my baggage.

Walt
Old 12-11-2004, 09:47 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Say it ain't so, Joe!

Two years.

27,000 hits on the thread.

And not a single 2/60 has taken that final Turn into the Wind ??

I don't think I can stand the suspense.

Maybe we should offer some scale version of the Orteig Prize.

mt
Old 12-11-2004, 10:12 PM
William Robison

Mark:

Not a bad thought, provided there's another "Slim" Lindbergh out there somewhere.

And you will put up the money, I suppose.

Haw.

Bill.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:46 PM
GSNut

[&:][&:]

Negative feelings gettin ya down ?

Just been shoppin for retracts...for the 260/290 yuck...3 bills then they want another bill and a half for the struts...an thats Robart. Spring Air wants 3 bills for the 400 series also with out struts..or wires.. If they like em that much let em keep em. Futaba only wants that much for a 9C an its a better deal, so I can paint out some of that plastic chrome they put on it.

I don't think I'll be buying those retracts, heck I'll put in hang-em-downs till I can get my own built up.

(rant over) Just a bad day.

Oh Well - will go back and work on the S. D. for a bit.

Maybe feel better once the wing is framed up and sheeted.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:01 AM
William Robison

Doug:

ORIGINAL:GSNut
Stopped at Hobby Town and checked out some balsa...duh... 3/16 X 4 X 36 per sheet..$ 5.60 an
1 X 1 X 36 Shaped Leading Edge Balsa...$ 5.00 per stick.. Cheeezz, no wonder everybody is going ARF. Even with the garbage hardware some have, its a better go.
You should have mentioned that we supplied all 48" balsa in the SD 2/60 kit, where it could be used. And still kept the price near $200, including the shipping.

Bill.

>>Edit to add text from GSN original post. wr.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:40 AM
GSNut

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Doug:

You should have mentioned that we supplied all 48" balsa in the SD 2/60 kit, where it could be used. And still kept the price near $200, including the shipping.

Bill.
Sorry bout that Bill !

I edited out the wood part as it had nothing to do with the SD 2/60, so far everything with it is thumbs up.. As far as the retracts go, one of the RCU members manufactures retracts. So will have to try there and see what he has available.

What's that old saying about " Nessesity is the Mother of Invention. " or some thing like that.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:15 AM
William Robison

Doug:

I thought the wood prices did have to do with the SD, at least concerning the price we had on it. I went into the archive and pulled it out, added it in a quote in my post above.

And I found some Duellist 2/40 Mk II pictures, here are four.

Bill.

Name:	Fd91587.jpg
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	201929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85349.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	201930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57927.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	201931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51673.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	201932  
Old 12-12-2004, 06:11 AM
GSNut

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Doug:

I thought the wood prices did have to do with the SD, at least concerning the price we had on it. I went into the archive and pulled it out, added it in a quote in my post above.

And I found some Duellist 2/40 Mk II pictures, here are four.

Bill.

Comparing the wood prices I have seen around here that a national chain of local hobby shops are posting. We are lucky! Thanks to all involved here. that they (that national chain LHS) didn't have anything to do with SD 2/60.
If they had the price would have been over 2 Grand. I did drive on down the road about 8 miles and visited a (independent mom and pop) where sanity was again in charge and cost was back to normal. Respectively, there the same size 3/16 X 4 X 36 = $ 1.28 and the shaped L. Edge 1 X 1 X 36 was $ 1.!7 Thanks Jerry!

The whole point being: Check price item per item, if it's not right "Tell em About it. If they won't fix it. Then Walk Out and Don't Ever Go Back !

I know that I won't.

BTW: Nice looking 2/40 in those pictures..Thanks Bill !
Old 12-13-2004, 12:43 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have a coupon good for Superior Balsa for $30 off a $100 or more order. I haven't had a chance to use it and it expires on the 31st if anyone wants it. Would rather see it used than go to waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.