Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

E2 Hawkeye Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:35 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: E2 Hawkeye Question

Hello Mike,

Yup, and airdale is a Navy term for anyone flying in aircraft... And, your service history is impressive... -

Nice job on the E2. Even though you're Army, in light of this project, I'll ask the DoD to make you an honorary Swabbie, too!

Bob
Old 10-29-2006, 04:26 PM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, with a few hours of sanding, I'm starting to see the light. Its actually beginning to look real now. Here's a few teaser pictures. THey are just resting on the engine mounts. I still need to align the spinner with the cowling, but you get the idea.

Enjoy,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79473.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	550617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10236.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	550618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag90991.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	550619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30377.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	550620  
Old 10-29-2006, 09:59 PM
UkerDuker

Well, after cutting out my first set of main gear doors, it looks like my gear will have to be modified. I wil have them reworked to rotate 90 degrees when retracting into the nacelle. THis will allow clearance between the tire and the inboard gear door. I will also be building a sub structure inside te nacelle for support and to mount my air actuators. So far, this is looking real good.

Pic 1: Top view looking directly into the wheel well of the nacelle. I rotated the gear by releasing the set-screw. Fits like a glove!!!

Pic 2: Front view with the forward cowling removed. THe forward doors open very wide.

Enjoy,
Mike

Name:	Lj22855.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	550887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65741.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	550888  
Old 11-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Henry Chua
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: gromitvt10

Hey guys, i just maidened the WillHobby E-2C Hawkeye, Flies great!! I used the CG for their C-160 Transall, which i also have, and it worked fine. I have 8 flights on it so far, on the 3rd flight the radome flew off!! she flies much better without it on but the kool factor goes away. No damage to plane or radome I modified it so it stays on now. I electrified it with 2 E-flite Power 32's running on a 3s 5000mah lipo pack each. I'll post the video later tonight or tomorrow.

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

Nice E2 you have there, do you purchase directly from Willhobby? Or where else can I buy this Hawkeye? May I know what's the price of it?

Brgds
Henry
Old 11-05-2006, 09:04 PM
UkerDuker

Update:
THe fuselage is done, and prep'd for fiberglass. I started glassing the tail fins the intake ducts, and the radome pylon, basically all the odd shapes. I already glassed all the control surfaces. I installed my micro-air-valve from BVM jets. I finished installing all the retract air lines and connectors to supply the wing. Air tanks hold with no leaks. I finished mounting the nose landing lights.

I sent my gear back to CenturyJet and had them modified. They now rotate as scale, 90 degrees as they retract. Its a much better fit inside the engine nacelle. Now I have no issues with the main gear doors closing. Both nacelles fit very nicely but I cant finish mounting until I get the engine exhausts mounted.

I finished mounting the second Twinsync engine sensor and running all the connections. This includes to onboard glow. Very nice system so far.

I'm still waiting for my remaining main gear doors hinges to arrive. THen I can mount and cut out the doors. I'm also waiting on my exhaust parts from Macspro.
I'm still looking good for painting in December.

Not much to show with pictures at this point.

More to follow...Mike
Old 11-07-2006, 04:57 PM
UkerDuker

I received my exhaust parts. THese worked out great. I will only have to cut a small hole in the forward cowling for the 90 degree elbow. Everything fits very cleanly into the nacelle. Nothing will be visible except the smoke from the exhaust.

Enjoy a few pics...Mike

Name:	Ca82229.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	555982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80559.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	555983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93747.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	555984  
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,

You may have seen these, maybe not... Worth a look. Some funny movies made by the members of VAW-116.

http://www.grouchymedia.com/streamin...ing_hey_ya.cfm
http://www.grouchymedia.com/streamin...vy_pump_it.cfm

Your E2 is looking good. Keep at it!

-Scott-
Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 PM
UkerDuker

Scott--

Those videos were very informative. Thats where I saw the Hawkeye's main gear rotated when it retracts. If it wasnt for that, I would still be looking for ideas of how to make the gear fit.

I have wrapped the exhaust pipes with fiberglass to keep my wires and air lines from potentially melting.

Mike

Name:	Fd90737.jpg
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	556163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10547.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	556164  
Old 11-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Details 4 Scale

Hi Mike,

Just to let you know that your parts are on their way. I included a few of the scoops and fairings I told you about. They can be sanded and modified to suit your needs for the Hawkeye. Let me know which ones you like and I'll send you some more to put on before you paint. Looking very nice indeed! Gonna need pics for my site!

Dan
Old 11-08-2006, 09:00 PM
UkerDuker

Dan,

Here's a few pics for you. Keep in mind, nothing is screwed in. Both sections are just hanging on the mounts. Its going to look real good when I'm done. Notice the only hole I had to cut was for the 90 degree exhaust elbow. Its not very noticeable.

The only modification I will make is laying up another layer of glass to firm up the nacelle. After the forward doors were cut out, the sides lost much of their rigidity.

Enjoy...Mike

Name:	Sq45799.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	556776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35057.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	556777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25284.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	556778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12405.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	556779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51613.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	556780  
Old 11-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Details 4 Scale

Looking sweet Mike!

The nacelles look really good on there.

Dan
Old 11-13-2006, 12:30 AM
UkerDuker

I'm not one to be a spokesperson for any product, but I had to express my satisfaction. I have glassed many aircraft and I typically used GP or Pacer finishing resin. FOr my Hawkeye project, I decided to buy the West System fiberglass resin. I love it. It makes glassing so much easier. The best part has to be the precise mixing capabilities with the pumps. It takes all the guessing out of it. Pump, mix, and go! Enough about that, but if you are into glassing, I would highly recommend this setup.

Glassing has been a slow process. I have the top of the wing done, all one piece. I have most of the tail vertical fins done. The hardest part is deciding on what parts to cover next. I chose the slow hardener so I have plenty of time to get the glass where I want it. It takes 10-15 hrs to harden. I have to use many smaller pieces to cover the many compound curves, like the tail, intakes, and antennas.

I finally received my main gear door hinges. I have the right nacelle doors hinged and cut out. THe air actuators are going to be a challenge. THere is limited room between the engine/nacelle supports and the fiberglass. I might have to have custom air actuators made to allow for air line clearance. Its not a priority right now. I want to have a few successful ground runs before and maybe a test flight before mounting the nacelles.

By extending the exhaust with flex tubing, will I need to eliminate the muffler and install a pressure nipple near the exhaust port? I'm currently using the stock muffler, but its now relocated 14 inches away. I will be doing thorough testing, but I could use some input on this.

Mike

Old 11-13-2006, 06:48 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This is an amazing project. Can we see some pictures of your glassing progress?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 PM
UkerDuker

OK, Glassing has been slow so far, but I have the wing and half the fuselage done. I almost forgot to add the starboard side lower antenna that runs from nose to tail. Here's a progress pic. Its still looking rough, because I still need to sand down the high spots.

Mike

Name:	Yw67353.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	563995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86996.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	563996  
Old 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM
UkerDuker

I need some assistance in calculating my wing loading. Using a wing loading calculator, I determined the following:
wing area= 1150 SQ.IN with flaps retracted, 1225 with flaps extended.
Radome area=660 SQ.IN
Engines= 2ea Saito 125
Props= Zinger 14x6, 4-blade

If I factor the estimated fliying weight of 25-26lbs and use only the wing area, I come up with an approximate wing loading of 53 oz/sq.in.

If I add the radome area, the wing loading drops to approximately 34oz/sq.in.

If the radome is set with an incidence of zero, does this get factored in as wing area? COuld the radome incidence be adusted to assist in the total lift of the aircraft.

Any help is appreciated.
Mike

Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 PM
schwatd

Mike,

A truely amazing project. What pateince! I'm not sure if I have the knowledge to comment on this but you had mentioned that you were having trouble creating a fairly symytical rotodome. I was wondering if you could use the rotodome axle as a piviot point and use a fix point shaper to make uniform contact as the dome rotated about its own axies. Thats probably dumb and way too simple. I'd love to have some posed photos of your project when its finished, and a video of a flight once you have all the bells and whistles worked out. Best of Luck!!

Additional thought, about the rotodome, use the axle like a wood lathe is what I'm getting at, it will always be the center and you;d be shaping away all the bumps and protutions till you got a very smooth uniform structure.

Oh I had a question, are you curving the leading edge of your fowler flaps so that when they are deployed the air flows smoothly over them? In your construction photos they looked squared, or is that the way the real E2 is constructed?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Details 4 Scale

Mike,

I would leave the dome incidence at zero. You're going to get the lift benefit when you need it. When taking off and landing, the dome will be at a positive AOA. Judging by your photos, the dome will add a good amount of lift at slow speeds when the nose is up. Besides, changing the AOA on the dome will add a significant amount of drag to the airframe. This of course will drive the parasitic drag up too, making the wing loading situation worse. You would need more power to overcome the extra drag to make the same amount of lift. At 26 lbs and a W/L of 53 oz/sq ft. you should be in pretty good shape. The flaps will give you more than enough lift for slow flight.

Looking really great so far.

Don't you just love glassing wood??? That's why I switched over to making fully molded airframes. lol...I only have to sand and glass them once. Keep up the great work!!!

Dan
Old 11-21-2006, 08:23 PM
UkerDuker

Dan,

I dont mind glassing. This project has been the biggest glassing challenge so far. I just do alittle every night. By the end of Thanksgiving weekend, I should be done. Tonight I glassed the bottom of the radome.

I began looking at the Klasskote paint. I need to mix colors to get the correct shade of "navy grey". Right now, the grey I have is too dark. I think I need to get a quart of white and pint of blue. I'll start with the white, adding the grey and blue until I get the proper shade. Its probably going to be a time consuming process.

Mike
Old 11-23-2006, 10:19 PM
UkerDuker

After alot of resin, sanding, and patience, I am finishing up the fiberglassing. I believe the WestSystems expoxy is much stronger than Z-Poxy or GP. TOmorrow, I will give the fuselage a final light sanding and see is I missed any spots. SO far, I'm very happy with the way its turned out.

More to follow later this weekend...
Mike

Name:	Xv65600.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	565699  
Old 11-25-2006, 08:18 PM
UkerDuker

After several hours of checking out my Hawkeye, I was ready to do the first of many ground runs.

First try- ENgines didnt start, plus my electric starter crapped out. Fix- I charged my onboard glow batteries & bought a new HD starter.

Second try- #1 Engine started, but shut off after I started #2. Fix- Programmed my Twinsync module to the proper points.

Third Try- Both engines start and idle great, but when throttle is advanced, each engine took turns surging to max throttle. Fix- Correctly connected my throttle servos to the Twinsync module.

Forth Try- Aborted, evening came too early.

Problems found on runups:
1- Starboard wingtip light wire was found broken
2- I need to actually read, NOT SKIM-THRU, the Twinsync setup instructions
3- Brake system cannot be pressurized over 80psi, unless I add a to tiewrap or wire to the nipple on the brake valve
4- Need to extend 2 air lines to allow more room to connect during wing installations
5- Need to build a preflight rack to accomidate the fuse and the wing while connecting servos and airlines.

THings that actually worked:
1- Mufflers worked fine, no pressure issues with the extended exhaust tubing.
2- Engine power was perfect. No issues with being mounted inverted.
3- Onboard glow, via the Twinsync module, worked flawlessly
4- No fuel leaks from twin fuel tank setup, on each side

Aside from a few minor headaches, all went well. I will fix all the little stuff this evening and be ready for another ground run in the morning. I'm trying to figure out how to record and post a ground run here on RCU. All I have is an 8mm video-camcorder and no video capture card on my computer.

Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Mike sounds good. Better luck tomorrow. Rich
Old 11-26-2006, 12:33 AM
schwatd

Mike if you want you can mail me your 8 mm and I'll convert them for you then mail it all back to you.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:06 PM
UkerDuker

OK, all went very well today. Both engines fired right up and sync'd perfectly. I might need to a minor adjustment on the right engine to increase the idle. I taped the runup, and later played it back. I love the sound of twins in sync.

THis week I will being the final prep of the fiberglass before priming. Not much left to do except work on the engine nacelles and get my painting supplies ready.

Mike
Old 11-30-2006, 10:01 PM
schwatd

Hi Mike,

I am going to be ordering the Palmer 132" C-130 from presision cuts as a Christmas present to myself. I was wondering if you ever found actual wing tanks to fit inside the cord of the wing and where are your refuel ports for your split system? I have several questions about your electronic sync device as well. I would very much like to finish the inside of this aircraft with the same deail as the outside.

Troy
Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 PM
UkerDuker

Troy,

I have the Palmer kit sitting on a shelf awaiting the completion of my Hawkeye. As for the fuel tanks, I have two per side. I have an 8OZ sullivan slant oval tank in the wing and a 6OZ HAYES tank in the engine nacelle. It basically took alittle trial and error to find the best tank.I have a sullivan fuel dot on the top of the wing for easy refueling.

THe Engine twinsync is very nice. Once I got it installed correctly (only due to me not paying attention), the onboard glow and syncing of the engines was flawless. I will be buying this same unit for my Palmer C-130, once its in production.

Let me know what other questions you have.

UPDATE....
I bought my HVLP gun today to do all my painting and priming. From the looks of my work schedule and vacation, I wont start painting until January. That shouldnt be an issue, because I still need to buy an air compressor. Maybe Santa will bring me one.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.