Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

KMP P-38 pre-build thread HELP ME {Another newbie to the "twinsane brotherhood"}

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

KMP P-38 pre-build thread HELP ME {Another newbie to the "twinsane brotherhood"}

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
WarpdSpazm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP P-38 pre-build thread HELP ME {Another newbie to the "twinsane brotherhood"}

It was bound to happen sometime. Guess better while I'm single - no warden to cut off the funds... Anyway...Went into the LHS for a nice new AirBrush. Walked out with a KMP Lightning. I have wanted a VQ for some time; but the revised KMP looks pretty good; is a better price than the VQ; and was sitting right there already. I figured it'll be just the first of many p-38's so it's OK to not have all the scale goodies. Don't worry, I also bought the twinstar to practice on while I spend the next year building the '38.

My questions are many, but I'll Start with the big ones.
1. I'm trying to decide on engines for this beastie. 87" ws It calls for .70 4 cycles. The LHS had ordered two Magnum .72's to go along with it. I'm thinking I want a little better engine. Tossed up between the Saito 82's or the RCV 90-SP's. Price wise the Mag's are ~150 ea. while the saitos and RCV's will run me .~275 each. The saitos and magnums will require pitts mufflers.
Is the RCV 90 gonna be too much power? The small compact design is very appealing; and only having the tip of the exhaust coming out of the cowl is what i really want though I think I could keep the saitos enclosed also - but that'd mean they are inverted.
2.Has anyone seen/used the new "blue retracts" that come with the KMP's? Should I add oleo's and use them, or should I look into CJ's or Robarts? which one's are good? I'm new to air retracts all together.
3. Is anyone building/flying this new version? Any tips/hints/warnings? I've only seen one thread out there about the new one... Everything else is in reference to the older version.

I will open the box at the hobby shop for the first time tomorrow and start putting together some of the intials needed to get her underway.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2005, 04:00 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: KMP P-38 pre-build thread HELP ME {Another newbie to the "twinsane brotherhood"}

Try doing a search on it

Heres my KMP : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/KMP_...2230730/tm.htm
Old 05-12-2005, 11:16 PM
WarpdSpazm

Default RE: KMP P-38 pre-build thread HELP ME {Another newbie to the "twinsane brotherhood"}

Like I said in my first post. I did search. I found Rav's thread and a few others based on the OLD version. Yours didn't appear on my search. Dunno why. I'm a big fan of the search. I prefer sorting through threads than waiting for replies. You also find info you didn't know you wanted to learn. But like I said, you're thread was hiding.
I'll read it through in the morning..

thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Super Hot

I have just completed my 2005 model, a KMP Invasion P38. This semi scale arf model has a very impressive look. I chose two OS 91 Surpass II for airplane weight balance and engine reliability. The balancing weight is perfect. 0 oz. A little bit nose heavy w gear down and a bit tail heavy w gear up. Throttle servos are located between the fire wall and engine.

Model caracteristics:

Engines OS 91Surpass II
Propeller Master Airscrew 13 x 8 - 3 blades
Spinner CBA5089
Muffler Straight pipe, w dynamic pressure fitting (home made)
Auto Glow System AUTOGLOW II design (home built)
Fuel Tanks Dubro 16 oz (2)
Landind Gear KMP air system
Gear Struts Robart 660 (main), 661L (nose)
Wheel Dubro 3.25 (main), 2,5 (nose)
Transmitter Futaba 9C
Receiver Futaba R149DP
Digitals Fut Std Servo(44oz) Ailerons(2 S3151), Rudders(2 S3151), Throttles(2 S3151)
Digital Fut Mini Servo(70oz) Elevator(1 S3150) (located in the stab)
Analog Fut Std Servo(44oz) Flaps(4 S3001), Steering(1 S3001), Gear Valve(1 S3003)
Radio Battery Hiflight NI-MH AA 2100mAh 4.8V(in the nose of center fuse)
Glow Battery Energizer NI-MH D 2100mAh 2.4V(in the nose of center fuse)

Total weight : 18 pounds 0 oz.

It's my very first twin model. Personally, I'm not yet qualified to fly it, but i think I will in next few months. I wait the good weather to take and publish pictures.

Another KMP P-38 Owner
Old 05-16-2005, 04:02 PM
WarpdSpazm

Your setup seems to be similar to what I am thinking. I'm going with the RCV's, I've decided. They will leave alot of room in the cowlings for my remote start system. The muffler drop dead center make for a very neat exhaust hole at the bottom of the cowl. Also because of their design they are completely enclosed and maintain the carb in an upright position, which is nice and reliable. I will go with robostruts on the gear that came with it to start. Did you move the mounts up in the A/C to get the wheels fully inside the fuse?

I'm also running the 9C with the 149DP... Did you find the single S3151 in the elevator to be enough? Some have mentioned to be about putting to smaller (44oz) micro servos on either side of the elevator (1/3 in from the ends). How do the 13" 3B's look? Too small, too big?

And of course, have you done any taxi tests to see how the gear holds?

Good luck with her. I'll be bringing her home sometime this week along with a TwinStar to practice on.

Post pics if you have, I also have the Invasion version.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Super Hot

WarpdSpazm
I don't modify to get the wheels fully inside the fuse.
She look very impressive with 3 blades screw, is not to big, it's a little bit small to compare with the original, and the spinner fit good but not very scale. For this year, I don't paint the spinners and don't install the machine guns, but I will made it next winter.
A MSA10 servo synchronizer is required to synchronize 2 digital servo on the same surface. You can mix 2 analog with your 9C. I think a simple single digital is cheap and most user friendly installation.
I project the test fly for July.
For this moment I don't have pics to post. I want pics this at my aviation club wen the weather will be good, I will post it.
Great fun with your project.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:26 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Warpd,

I just saw your post. My post is all about KMP's "new" P-38. If you see all the pics of mine, and others, you will see, and read, all the different things that we did. Mine is 87" in wingspan, I am running os 91 fx's with 13 x 8 apc's and I have robart 630's on the mains and nose gear with the oleos. I am close to flying mine, I just have alot of work related stuff that is hampering my flying it. I needed over 20 feet in extensions for my set up!!

Take a look and enjoy!

Raf
Old 05-19-2005, 09:08 PM
WarpdSpazm

I'm an idiot.. I read your thread too... It the same exact one... Don't know why my brain has been shot... must be all that OT in the office... I will re-read your's again.... Thanks for pointing it out...

Would still like to get somebody's opinion on the RCV's in such an airplane... I have solid set-up for remote starts that will stay fully concealed in the cowls.
Though the one thing you can answer me is this: What kind of clearance do you get with the 13's? If I put Robart gear in, and get the nose pointing up like scale, do you think 14's or 15's, which are what the RCV's spin in 3b, will make ground clearance? THanks

~Spazm
(I'm called that for a reason, as you can see)
Old 05-20-2005, 09:03 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Ray,

I have plenty of clearance with my p-38. I'm sure you'll have plenty of room with yours.

Raf
Old 06-23-2005, 10:14 PM
dynoflux

Have you considered electric; completed maiden flight of my late model KMP P-38 earlier today. The flight was perfect except for the mental stress of a first flight on a large expensive airplane. Took quite some time to to do the electric conversion; however, I feel it was worth it as during flybys the electric motors sound much like the big allisons that powered the P-38. The configuration I chose proved to be a good one; plenty of power and long flite times. Configuration follows:

KMP-P-38
Weight ready to fly 17.5lb
Motor AXI 4120/18 * 2
Prop Master Airscrew K series 14/8 * 2
battery Two Thunderpower 8000ma three cell packs wired in series
receiver Hitec electron 6
servos 3 Futaba and 7 Futaba
Speed Controller Castel Creations (Phenix 60) * 2
Retracts KMP with custom struts

I was supprised how well it flew with such heavy wing loading; I was scared to fly for nearly two months as I only have six months of flying experience. The plane took of with athority and very good climb rate. After takeoff I pulled the power back to just above half and the plane flew around at a good rate of speed but still climbing; a few clicks of down trim was all it needed. Landing was my greatest fear but what goes up must come down. I added about 10% flaps at altitude which did not cause any adverse effect. The landing was fairly hard as one prop slightly tapped the runway on touchdown; plan to use the entire runway for roll out; would need brakes for short runways.