Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:23 PM
fire_paramedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Well, i got mine built and flew it recently. I cant wait to get it back out, time and weather permitting of course. It really does fly well. Its fun! I used os46ax's in mine and have had no problems so far (Cross xx fingers) with the fuel tanks (using the stock ones) with about a 9 min flight time and 1 1/2 -2min reserve seems to be working out. I used the spektrum ds821 servos all the way around. (already had 4 from radio purchse) CG is at 110mm and 8oz lead in nose. Heres a video of its first few flights and me getting used to its flight characteristics.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nImX9Y23doM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nImX9Y23doM[/link]
Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
mrbassman

Just curious - did anyone ever try putting 70 size four strokes in the Dual -Ace ? I know as far as cosmetics go it will look terrible, but how about just for breaking in the engines?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:14 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

Pictures as requested will look much cleaner when I fit the new nacells
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93500.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	791507  
Old 10-27-2007, 12:24 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

More Tripple Ace Pictures

Name:	Bz77042.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	791511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89501.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	791512  
Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 PM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all...

I have been fling a DA for several months and have over 100 flights. I like this airframe so much that I have picked up a new one at my LHS and plan a full blown kit bash.

Here are my plans and questions:

1: Strip color trim and repaint. Plan to use Coast Guard color scheme with INternational Orange for visibility. Anyone tried to remove the trim colors? I'm gonna use Klas Kote.

2: Retracts. Either an old NIB set of Kraft/Multicons or Robarts pneumatic. Robostruts in either case. Will follow an earlier thread on the subject. May use Intairco pneumatic brakes unless I can find electrics. Anyone know a source for electrics?

3: Twin-sync.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Bo
Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 PM
mrbassman

OK guys, I've been following this for a while and finally took the plunge. Mr Fed-Ex delivered my DA today along with two Evolution 46 engines. First impressions of the plane were very good, I was impressed with the packaging. Anyway, That rudder pushrod looks a bit flimsy and there is a long way from where it exits the fuselage to the rudder. Is that ok, or should I brace it some more or maybe go with a heavier rod? Also, I read that people have put larger fuel tanks in the nacelles, any help there would be greatly appreciated. It seems a good balance point from what I read is 100 cm back, if anyone agrees let know. Also, it's only cosmetic, but that windshield looks nasty the way it was installed to the rest of the cabin. Anyone have the same problem?

I probably won't get to this for a while, need to finish up some other projects first, but thank you to everyone for whatever help can be offered.

Ken
Old 11-20-2007, 07:31 PM
CrashPro
My Feedback: (1)

Hello mrbassman

I put 10 ounce Sullivan flex tanks in mine.....nice snug fit with no mods.
Yep,..good idea to beef up the rudder pushrod......
I forget exactly where the balance point was.....just look back in this thread...you'll find it.....
Old 11-20-2007, 07:53 PM
arck

Mine has over 50 flights with the .46 evos, 10x6 prop, cg at 105 from the LE,,,,
Stock tanks (8oz) about 7 minutes full TH,,,,,for me is enough time,,,,,,
wm
Old 11-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

Yes I would go with bigger tanks. Read the thread back on what I used and how I did it. Not much change is needed, I also went with Du Bro push rods and control horns. I did not like the the set that came with the plane. Need any more help let me know.

Walt
Old 11-26-2007, 08:43 AM
mrbassman

Since this doesn't have flaps, I'm just wondering if anyone is using the flaperon function? If so, what are your settings?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Pilot P51

Yes I am using flaperons, I THINK I am only using like 15% on my setting. You do not need much. If you have not used them before, start out with very little deflection and increase it on each landing until you have it the way you want it. You CAN NOT use the flaperon as a full flap. You have to remember you still have to use them as ailerons also. I hope this helps you out.

Walt
Old 12-07-2007, 09:51 AM
mrbassman

Well, here's an update on the DA, it's in the final stages of building

1) Went with pull-pull on the rudder.
2) Replaced the elevator push rods with 4-40. They fit in the rod guides and are very rigid, no binding at all.
3) Sullivan 10oz flex tanks. Opened up the hole in the firewall so the plastic cap fits in it. Lots of room and was able to pad the tanks.
4) 2 3/4 wheels for more ground clearance.
5) Each aileron on its own channel so I can adjust the throws individually and experiment with flaperon.
6) Each throttle on its own channel. After those engines are set up indivdually if I need to match them I can do it through servo travel, not tweaking the needles.
7) Dedicated servo for nose wheel. I need the weight to balance it, and that nose wheel takes a lot of pounding, I would rather tear up a 10 dollar servo than a 30 dollar one.
8) White spinners with 10-7 three blade props. Might change the props depending on performance and fuel consumption.
9) Balanced at 100mm

It's raining here in So Cal (believe that !!) so the first flight will probably be next weekend.

Ken
Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

10-7 three blades are too big for a 46. They will tend to overheat and you may have an engine quit in flight.

The rule of thumb for three blades is to use the same pitch with one inch smaller diameter, or the same diameter with 2 inches lower pitch, as compared with the two blade. Your 10-7 three blades are equivilent to two blade 11-7s. Too much prop for a 46. You need 10-7 two blades or 9-7 three blades.

Jim
Old 12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Pilot P51

JRF
That is incorrect as far as the 10 x7 3 blade being to big for a 46 engine. I have been running 10 x 7 3 blade Graupner props on my OS 46's with NO problems. I broke them in on an 11 x 7 prop. Which is what OS recommends on this engine. I have over 60 flights on this plane, knock on wood I have not had an engine quit yet.

Ken
it looks like you have your plane set up good. I have both my twins (Cessna 310) also set up on their own engine channel. Great for fine tunning the engines. I checked my Flapperon settings for you. I have 15% differerential set, I have mine set up on the landing mode to 25% down and that gives me 1/4" up of ailerons. Play with setting while flying in the air to see what you need, the plane will not flare up, mine didn't any.
As stated eariler in this thread the plane does land a little hot. I love flying this twin, it has plenty of speed.
Good luck on your test flight.
Walt
Old 12-07-2007, 02:48 PM
boingram

Hi all...

I too love the DA Dual Ace and have over 100 flights on mine.

A full kit bash on a new one is underway. I plan to install retracts, brakes, new nacelles, and a full paint-job.

Yes, it lands fast and I'm gonna experiment with flaperons.

Bo
Old 12-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Pilot P51

Hey Bo
you ever going to get that 310 in the air, I can't believe you are going to build another DA twin. II have to say I like flying the DA more then the 310. I guess because I have to much money in the 310, but it too is a great flying plane.

Walt
Old 12-07-2007, 03:57 PM
boingram

Walt...the 310 is ready, just finished working out soem issues with the brakes.

I also have a CoxDuelist I am working out seom bugs on...great airframe and very pretty...attcaches is a pic...gear down....

Name:	Zx70246.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	820472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79165.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	820474  
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2007, 04:05 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pilot P51: He is running Evolution 46's and the recommended prop for them is 11x6. For sport planes a 10x7 usually gives a 46 a little more pep. An 11x7 is a great prop for a 61.

FYI: OS sells a lot of engines in countries with severe noise limitations. Their recommended props are selected to keep the rpm (and thus the noise) down. Most of the other engine manufacturers base their recommendations on performance and reliability, rather than noise.

Jim
Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 PM
moodier

Hwhat Couple posts back fellow asked about using bigger 4 stroke. I knowearlier they recomended against overpowering,but I do have a pair of YS 63s thinking could use these and use the pressure system to mountcentral tank in the fuselage.But maybe they are just to much engine for this airframe,not looking for a speed plane only sport flyer!!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:11 PM
mrbassman

Well, took the DA to the field today. Had previously ran the engines in the driveway and got them "pretty close". Today I fine tuned them individually then matched them through servo adjustment. I have the engines still running rich. I intended to just run the engines and do some high speed taxi stuff. Ran the engines for about 20 minutes at all different throttle settings. They sounded great and didn't miss a beat. Wind was dying down and what wind there was is right down the runway. One other guy was there and as luck would have it, he had twin engine experience. So I decided to go for it. Far end of the runway, fed in the throttle and she got fast and light on the gear, little up elevator and it was airborne. Took up trim and some right aileron to hold straight and level flight. Then I set up for the landing. Holding 1/4 throttle until final, when the plane was eye level I gradually started to reduce throttle and it settled in a lot slower then I thought it would. I was shaking like a leaf. Didn't even try flaperon yet. The whole flight lasted about 5 minutes. The Evolution 46's with 10-7 3 blades it was a rocket. Don't think I went over 3/4 throttle the whole flight, and most of the time I was at 1/2 throttle

It's a great plane, yes, the nacelles are less then perfect, but I'm using this to get muti-engine experience for possible bigger projects later on.

I would like send a big thank you to everyone on this forum for all your help and knowledge, I know it prevented me from learning things the hard way.

Ken
Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 PM
boingram

Ken,

Congrats on a successfull maiden flight. This is a great airframe and I have over 100 flights on mine.

I am starting a full blown kit bash on a new one!

Bo
Old 12-15-2007, 07:51 AM
fire_paramedic

Yes it is a great plane, i flew mine yesterday, i have about 20 flights on mine, running os46ax's, 2 blade 10x6 props and it has plenty of power fly at half throttle most of the time at full its really moving, does not take much elevator either, i am still using the initial setting on elevator but aileron i moved up to the high rate setting after the first flight just not enough response for me. I ahve not tried flaperon yet and have been thinking of doing that when i get time. i read somewhere it was done i think you just have to be careful how much as they said it would wingtip stall with to much flaperon rather easily. I do love this plane..
Old 12-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Pilot P51

Do be careful when using flaperons. Read back on how I set mine up and I gave the settings to Ken. Remember you still have to have some aileron control when setting up the flaperons.

Ken
Glad to hear your first flight went good. Did you use the flaperons yet?? You will love this plane. Once you get the hang of flying this plane you can move up to the TF 310 as Bo had I did.
Have a great Christmas
Walt
Old 12-15-2007, 09:23 PM
mrbassman

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's been a tough year for me, I whacked my 35% IMAC plane earlier in the year (took it home in a dog poop bag), so my confidence took a real hit, I need to recover from that.

Walt, I plan on trying the flaperons tomorrow (Sunday). I'll let you know how I make out.

I do plan on using this as a stepping stone to something else. I figure if I can fly this until May or June with no problems, Then I'll look into something more sophisticated and more scale. I would like to move away from IMAC and get more into scale competition.

Ken
Old 12-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Capt. Crackup

What have you guys been setting your wing incidence at??? thanks, Skip D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.