Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/6 Mosquito Build (108")

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

1/6 Mosquito Build (108")

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Jetjockey_3
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Mosquito Build (108")

Lou,

Your Mossie is coming along fine.

I am very pleased with my progress. Today I made my landing gear . It was a critical part. If they didn't work than I would have to re-design the nacelles. They operate via the mechanical linkage. I haven't hooked up the air assist yet, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

I will post pictures tomorrow if I get a chance. There was a lot of grinding and drilling and soldering ... but they work smoothly. As a matter of fact it is sitting on the gear for the first time. I am happy so far. I just have to finish off the strut covers to look like the full size. If the weather stays mild here I will prime the plane it this week.

Cary
Old 02-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Jetjockey_3

Time for an update!!

I have been working on all those little bits of detail that we wouldn't even notice are missing, but the judges find with the documentation in their hands.

I have been adding fairings on hinges, bumps for the fuel tanks, frames for the dingy and antenna, frames around the access door in the fuse, cover for tail wheel, slots on the bottom of the exhaust covers, slots for the spent cartridges under the fuse, hinging the gear doors (left off in the pictures below), ................. fairing over the aileron linkage.

Finally have the strut legs working and the brake hubs ( see pictures below ). Getting the canopy and frame right has been a bit of a challenge, but it is coming along nicely.

Here are the struts without the fairing to see how they are set up. I have included a picture of Mossie gears from a plastic model for reference.

Cheers,

Cary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66006.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	412485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54737.jpg
Views:	110
ID:	412486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95440.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	412487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96191.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	412488  
Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 PM
BWooster

Very nice indeed!

Keep posting Cary. It's a beautiful aircraft.

I am installing engines and the radio. Should be ready to fly in April. I don't see it happening before then.

Lou
Old 02-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Cary looking good. That's a lot of work on the gear. Rich
Old 09-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Dave in UAE

Hello Cary

Glad I found this thread, I have been searching for web info regarding building the Mossie for a while. I've just received the kit for the Don Smith Mosquito and am in the process of getting the plans, a nice kit from Precision Cut Kits.

Just a quick question Don says Century Jet or Sierra both make retracts for his design, did you look into any of those. I was going to ask John Clark of Clark Industries to put together two of his Perrigrine engines for me, I have his merlin on my Mk Vb spitfire and really have enjoyed working with it so far.

Anyway I am a ways off from starting yet, have to get the Spitfire flying first, but just thought I would ask about the retracts.

Dave
Old 09-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Jetjockey_3

Hi Dave,

From what I have seen on the web, Century Jet makes a very sturdy looking set for the Don Smith Mossie. However, I am aiming for a more scale looking set. I have made my own by butchering a couple of retract sets I had around the shop. The pictures I have show the retracts before I have attached the strut covers. I am not sure if they will stand up to a hard landing, but they should. The fact that they are made up of two sets of Century Jets 1/5 size P47 and Mustang landing gear struts, they should hold up. The last couple show the tailwheel I made from Cewntury Jet's Mustang tailwheel.

I am happy to help you where I can.

Cary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19043.jpg
Views:	64
ID:	519861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68642.jpg
Views:	61
ID:	519862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86120.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	519863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94360.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	519864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf51144.jpg
Views:	56
ID:	519865  
Old 09-07-2006, 07:01 AM
Dave in UAE

I think looking at those you could go up in scale a few notches and not have to worry about them breaking! I know Sierra advertises the scale tail-wheel unit, but they don't show the mains.

With the G-38's how do you think the CofG/balance will come out and have you done any preliminary weigh-ins yet. My search for an engine has begun but here in the UAE the stores are more "jet oriented" because that's what the locals with all the cash want, very few warbirds here and very few "kit-built" aircarft.

Haven't decided on a livery yet, I would like to stay with the "Canadian theme" if I can. My spitfires are done in VZ-W of Lucky Likeness from 412 Sqn (my old squadron) and the Clark Spitfire will be done in the colours of SK-F (165 Sqn RAF) Doug "Duke" Warren from Comox,BC, great guy to chat with. He was a Canadian, along with his twin brother flying for the RAF.

Have you come across anyone building a large Mossie with the perspex nose, I left the task of chosing the varient and RCAF livery with a good friend back in Ontario and he is partial to the recce and bomber birds.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Jetjockey_3

Hey Dave,

What you are seeing in the photos isn't the finished product! There is a lot of detail pieces that I have made, but still have to put on (cosmetics). I want to test fly the plane without the scale detail first. Then add them later. Regarding the balance, I have built the nose with about 3/4 Kg of lead in it. I have mocked up the Mossie with the engines installed and found that I will still need a bit of weight in the nose. However, I hope to balance it with the batteries and radio equipment (located in the machine gun access bay forward of the cockpit).

The colour scheme I am doing is from the RCAF 418 "City of Edmonton" Squadron (see earlier post). They were the most successful Canadian unit during WWII. They were a night fighting unit, but used the FB Mk VI without radar. I like the versatility of the FB version. I have a functioning bomb bay for that extra 'WOW' factor during my flying routine.

Cary
Old 09-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Dave in UAE

Standing-by for the finished product, looks great so far!

Dave