Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Will they be enough?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:41 PM
fearless fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will they be enough?

Hi all,I recently bought myself the newly released AWESOME DH88 Comet,(88" w/s). A friend was in need of some travelin' money,so I scored a real bargain. She came with the specially made oleo strut,rear retracting undercart,and two as new Saito .40 four strokes. The engine description says,"two .32--.40 2 strokes",or two .52 four strokes".The question I'm asking is,(as I have had no experience with Saito's of any size),will these be powerful enough to fly her,or should I go for the .52's,(which would be OS's).

Hoping you can advise me,

Fearless Fly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34486.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	398208  
Old 01-30-2006, 05:53 AM
Bad Driver

Default RE: Will they be enough?

Hi Fearless,
I am far from an experienced twin flyer, in fact I'm just starting to build my first 'twin-trainer', but I have been searching around this forum for quite awhile now doing some research

I had a look at the Awesome web-page ([link]http://www.modelengines.com.au/awesome%20rc.htm[/link]) but unfortunately they do not give the weight of the DH88. At 88" wingspan it could be a real heavy bird; similar sized warbirds - VQ P-61, KMP B-25 - are quoted at 15-18lbs+ so I very much doubt that your .40's will be big enough. Maybe if the Comet was specifically designed for electric power it would be lighter - as they always seem to be designed lighter - but I'd be looking at a pair of Saito 72's or similar to be on the safe side.

I would suggest you weigh the model plus all your electronics & accessories (retracts, etc) and come up with a AUW excluding the engines... I think you need to know this before anything else.

Hope that's helpful!
Old 01-30-2006, 05:58 AM
Bad Driver

Is this thread about the same model? Appears so... [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3556583/anchors_3556583/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3556583[/link]

Most people in that thread seem to suggest .52 four-cycle but no flying reports yet
Old 01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
fearless fly

Hi BD,thanks for your reply,and the links.She has been designed to fly electric or fuel,so it is very light. As mentioned in other posts the fuz is blown plastic with carbon fibre,(sic),stringers and longerons. Reading the posts you directed me to,it seems .52's will be more than enough power.So I have decided to trade in the Saito's,(even though I have been told they are exellent engines),on a couple of .52's. I have been jokingly told I can always back the throttle off.

Thanks again,
Fearless Fly.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:43 PM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Fearless

I have seen the Model Engines electric "test hack" fly and tested the weight and the model is incredibly light for it's size (I would guess under 7kg!), The structure is mostly vacuum form ABS (fuse and engine nacelles) and does seem a little flimsy for IC four stroke power (the four bangers may shake it to bits!)
From the weight and the wing span, I would think the 40s would be ample (I fly an ESM B25 weighing 9kg with 70 f/s and they are plenty!)

I was almost tempted to buy one myself but was put off by the cost of the retracts (more than the cost of the model!)

cheers

Alan
Old 01-30-2006, 10:41 PM
fearless fly

Hi Spitmad,decisions,decisions. You think the .40 Saito's will be enough power?.You also say you're flying an ESM B-25 on .70's.My next build,(after the DH88),will be my Mitchell,and I was,repeat was,going to fit OS 91's,but if .70's will do, then .70's it will be.

Cheers,

Fearless Fly
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the 40's are enough and Saito engines are great engines.
I've had a .72, .80, 1.00 and two 1.80 Saito's, no such thing as a bad one.

Forgot to mention the 1.50, unless they have lessened the compression on the Saito 1.50 they are a somewhat temperamental and need some experience to operate because they are "hot rod" engines.