Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

ASM/Global Comet DH88 Out of the Box

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

ASM/Global Comet DH88 Out of the Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:35 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: ASM/Global Comet DH88 Out of the Box

Dave:

The Aero Commander has a much shallower taper, and to get them tamed they take about 6 1/2 degrees of washout. As you know, the DH-88 was intended as a pure racing plane, they may well have had zero wshout to aviod the induced drag.

With the experience of the Aero Commander I'd say put at least the same 6.5 degrees in the Comet.

Getting back to you? If I weren't answering "The Mail" that would mean I wasn't enjoying tbis mess, and I wouldn't be here to comment anyway.

Confusing? Yep.

Bill.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:45 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bill:
Thank you for the info on the washout I will relay it to my friend . We do have a lot done to the plane but still may be able to work on that area.

BRG,,,,Dave
Old 02-16-2006, 03:43 PM
kev71h

I got mine for my anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to read more about this airplane on these forums

Subscribe.

Kevin
San Jose, CA
Old 02-22-2006, 03:03 PM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you read the instruction manual it advises "wheel" landings, not 3 points. That should be your clue not to get low and slow with this one. Since I had a pair of OS .70 4 strokes needing a home, that's what I'm putting in mine. I wouldn't bother with trying to jury rig struts. If you are using fixed gear, they are supplied in the kit. If you are going to add retracts, and don't want to buy the ones from the importer, at least drop $25 and get the struts for the retracts, they are dual strut like the prototype, and sprung to boot.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:12 PM
MerlinFan
My Feedback: (27)

I got mine and so far like it. Looks real easy to build, maybe a little cramped in the nacelles with fuel, throttle servo, and retracts but we'll see. I noticed it's distributed in England by Ripmax who made my Red Baron racer, a real rock solid flyer that will turn around and bite you if you get slow. I has a wicked snap. Pretty high wing loading. Its quality was pretty bad so I'm real happy with the way the DH88 looks. Planned to go brushless till I saw it. OS 52s will be be a perfect fit so I ordered 2 from Tower. Have 2 other arfs to assemble first, look forward to seeing how you guys do with your builds and flights.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:27 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Just got mine too. Haven't decided on engines yet but am leaning toward four strokes. I purchased the retracts as well. I haven't had the opportunity to examine the plane yet as it went directly to my builder but he says it looks great.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I got to fondle one yesterday. It looks very impressive, all those curves - very spitfire-ish (if that is a word). It will certainly look different at the flying field! While I'm pretty confident the manufacturer has made compromises to ensure that it flies reasonably well..I noticed it is recommended for intermediate to advanced flyers, and they call it semi-scale................however, I couldn't help but notice the sharply tapered wing, and how thin the wing tip is. Both of those can be a recipe for nasty flying characteristics. However, maybe being an ex pilot, like WR, I know too much...after all, Bumble bees can't fly, can they? [sm=lol.gif]

I'd be very interested to read some flying reports and see some photos......
Old 03-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Tailgunner-RCU

I saw one of these planes at the WRAM show for sale (in the Swap Shop). The seller was asking $2000. I don't know what the actual selling price was.

It's certainly a beautiful aircraft.

I have to admit the thought of a "plastic" body does bring up concerns about durability. Reminds me of the old ARF's...

I would be interested, if anyone is flying these, how they hold up...
Old 04-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Eric.Henderson

If you look inside the shell you can see four carbon 1/8" fiber rods that are used as longerons or stringners that are glued to a plywood frame. the "shell" does not apear to be that structural.

I found it facinating to see that the engine pods bolt onto the wings like a wing normally bolts onto a fuselage.

More pic's etc. when I get into the building.

Eric.

ORIGINAL: Tailgunner-RCU

I have to admit the thought of a "plastic" body does bring up concerns about durability. Reminds me of the old ARF's...

I would be interested, if anyone is flying these, how they hold up...
Old 04-19-2006, 09:05 PM
nitrous pete
My Feedback: (40)

Merlinfan , I would put a pair of 65-72 4strok . or a pair 50s , I flew a friend's today - 2 flights w/os 52 4cyl, Tried 11x8 prop , and then 12x6,
What a *** turdddd.., Wont do a loop , but does sound nice .. it will fly slow , then snap, come in with flaps on and good power . down Ele . maby 4-6 %
Had 8-9% too much . , I will try a boley 11.5X 8 , Peace

OH 11x8 = 1100rpm
12x6 1050
12x8 9000 Not good for me "DNF " did not fly
Old 05-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Tailgunner-RCU

[quote]ORIGINAL: Eric.Henderson

If you look inside the shell you can see four carbon 1/8" fiber rods that are used as longerons or stringners that are glued to a plywood frame. the "shell" does not apear to be that structural.

I found it facinating to see that the engine pods bolt onto the wings like a wing normally bolts onto a fuselage.

More pic's etc. when I get into the building.

Eric.

Eric,

Thanks for the info. My concern is towards vibration induced cracking, not structrual loads...But time will tell.

Anyway, I'll probably get one because it's a neat and different plane...
Old 05-04-2006, 12:32 PM
MerlinFan
My Feedback: (27)

Won't loop? It should loop on one engine or even no engines, its all in the energy management.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

How are the ASM brand retracts holding up on these birds. I bought Robart 510s and the more I look at them am wondering if they are sturdy enought for this plane. They are recommended up to 12 lbs if I remember correctly.

I'm waiting on the YS 63s to get back in stock so I can get started on mine.

It would be great to hear some more flight reports and comments form people with different engine combos.

Thanks all!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:14 AM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

I flew one this weekend.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3556583/anchors_4367705/mpage_4/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4367705]Another Thread[/link]

On the second flight the right gear failed. It did not retract and when I cycled the gear, the left gear was working fine so it was not for lack of air. The right gear just hung limp. After a one-wheel landing with only slight scratching on the right wingtip, we found that the threaded rod that extends from the plunger in the cylinder had unthreaded from the little barrel on the end. I have heard that these gear are made by Century. They seem to be OK so far. I will locktite mine now. I am disgusted that you get tires with the airplane and you get tires again with the recommended struts that you have to buy along with the retracts. A small detail with cheap tires but it is just one more example of the fact that Global doesn't put any effort into "providing a quality experience". Lousy instructioins that could be corrected with One Day's work by any American that cares.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:32 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lousy instructioins that could be corrected with One Day's work by any American that cares.
Good point! Why don't these importers at least have someone go over the manuals and correct the english. What could that cost, $40-50? Free, if they have their wife do it. They obviously don't think it matters.

Jim