Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Seagull Dual Ace what a nice bird

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seagull Dual Ace what a nice bird

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:11 AM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Dual Ace what a nice bird

ED,

You do balance this plane inverted...........right? Most low wing planes want to be inverted
and this is my first twin so just wanted to make sure I'm setting the CG right. Also......for
us died in the wool SAE guys...........what is 105mm in inches?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 09-11-2006, 11:24 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

4 1/8"

I bought a 6 foot measuring tape at True-Value that has SAE on one side and metric on the other for $2. I got tired of not knowing.

Jim
Old 09-11-2006, 05:33 PM
pilot727

I think that almost everyone hears you on that one they put so many different things in a way that i just have to start looking for a chart myself.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:33 AM
planerc49

Great looking airplane. Just lost my Duelist over the weekend. Lost and engine and could not save it.
Darn, now I need a new twin. Looking for something that will fly on two OS 52 four strokes. Do you think they would be enough for the Dual Ace??
Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-18-2006, 01:07 PM
pilot727

Depends on where your flying from, have you seen the new phoenix that is out it is a very beautiful twin with a 70 inch wingspan and the engines are in the open i kind of like my twins that way it is so easy to adjust whatever but there are many other twin out to at different sites, cedar hobbies.com have a few nice twins and there are a few more sites i have save that have some really nice twins if you would like to see them i would gladly send the sites to you to look at them, i love the duelist but that phoenix is another unreal nice looking twin, if you would like for me to send you some of the sites i have found i would be happy to, rollie
Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Pilot, hows about telling us where this Phoenix is located and can be bought. From who ? Us Logan guys up north of you have a very nice brand new flying site here in Cache Valley and is great for flying twins. Check out www. Bridgerlandrc.org Seeya, MM
Old 09-18-2006, 01:26 PM
pilot727

the phoenix is at http://cedarhobbies.net/ click on rc waebirds and scroll down to the forth plane and there she is i know many site with beautiful twins i am disabled and try to spend my time helping who i can as i sure have learned so much from others in here, if you would like more sites just email me and i will send some more to you, thanks rollie
Old 09-18-2006, 01:29 PM
pilot727

Also go to http://www.ne-aero.com/index.html they have some nice twins here also some are kits others are arf's, rollie
Old 09-18-2006, 01:31 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Planerc (and Mormon Mike):

After flying a Duellist I think you will not be happy with the Dual Ace unless you just fly in circles.

Cedar Hobbies, http://www.cedarhobbies.net/ , is the source for the Phoenix and also the Twin Stick.

The Phoenix is an almost perfect copy of the Super Duellist 2/60 Mk II that EHFleming and I kitted a few years ago, change the nacelles and the tail, then it is an exact copy. Excellent plane, if I do say so myself.

If you want the 2/40 version, Estes/Cox was supposed to have an ARF on the market a couple months ago, I don’t know why it has been delayed.

Northeast Aerodynamics is about to release a genuine Duellist 2/60 Mk II in an ARF version with a fiberglass fuselage and sheeted foam wings.

If you want a military plane, many are already on the market.

If you happen to be a fan of the Tigercat F7F as I am, VQ is supposed to have one around the first of the year for $800, Cedar Hobbies also has an F7F ARF about ready. I have a prototype, very nice, and I have a pair of XLS91A Magnum engines going in it.

But no, not the Dual Ace. If you want an inexpensive aerobat get the Twin Stick from Cedar Hobbies, or a good looking larger sport twin then the Phoenix from them. Or wait a little while and get a “Real†Duellist. Nothing else will satisfy after having one. I have four at the moment, with a couple more (different sizes) in very slow progress.

Bill.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:32 PM
pilot727

another site is http://coxmodels.com/ of course this is where the duelist is located at, i hope that i have been helpful to a few guys, rollie
Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 PM
pilot727

Bill
I have a twinstar which isnt a good plane for a geginner for sure but it is cheap and rugged and flies ok i also have a c-160 transall with two os-32sx for engines and it flies so nice but i really want to save for that phoenix but the duelist has always been my dream there is nothing compared to a twin people are a little nervous of loosing an engine but if they would pull the power back make the turn then add a little power in a straight line if needed and they will be ok if the have the alt. when i first got my twinstar the engines were 40 size and old and always one would quit and i swear i have had more then 30 deadsticks, i put the two os-25fx onto it and it is a nice plane now and still is very fast, to much weight on that little twin is asking for a deadstick going into a spin get out and go into another, i had many spins with it till i went with the 25s, rollie
Old 09-18-2006, 02:08 PM
William Robison

Rollie:

Not long ago I literally gave a TwinStar away. Not a bad plane, but I do regard it as a trainer. It’s relatively unresponsive to controls, to make it a nice sport plane all the control surfaces have to be enlarged by about 50%. Our user “Robby†did a complete redo on a TwinStar and called it the “Phoenix†long before Cedar Hobbies introduced theirs. Do a search on Phoenixd and you might find his thread, a lot of the returns will be the CH plane of course.

For engine out the TwinStar, NEAero’s Twin-Air series, the TwinStick, and even the Duellist are easily flown on one engine.
For single engine flight others such as the P-38, B-25, and my favorite Tigercat F7F will bite you in the buns very quickly if an engine dies. They are the ones for your most reliable engines.

If you have an engine that finishes ten flights out of ten still running, it’s OK for a twin. On the other hand, if you only land with it running eight times out of ten, a pair of that engine will give you almost a 50-50 probability of losing one in flight.

And yes, the Duellist is a twin to strive for. Just think about it. A 30 year old design that’s still very popular. How many other planes can you name, still popular after only three or four years? Speaks for itself.

Bill.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 PM
pilot727

Since i put two new os-25fx engines in it i now have no dead sticks, its a nice twin and i sure have learned so much from it, i have given two away and kept the new one i bought but i want the phoenix for the bigger wing and the wingspan of 70 inches, also when i put my landing gear in i always put a drop of epoxy into the block they fit in that way i have never had any wear or movement from the landing gear if i crashed it there probably would be no landing gear left anyways, one day i lost an engine before i put the new ones in and it was out a little far and it was just going circles around this pole for about five times i could not get control of it so i pulled my power and by luck done the smoothest landing in the grass and i was not in a great area, just lucky on that one, santa is going to bring me that phoenix i just know it, he has too, rollie
Old 09-18-2006, 04:58 PM
William Robison

Found a picture of Robby's Phoenix. Nose and nacelles are lengthened, all control surfaces enlarged. Still looks a little like a TwinStar, but not much.

Bill.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98177.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	526385  
Old 09-18-2006, 05:11 PM
pilot727

Bill
That is a piece of art, im a sport flyer for several years and if i go to the field and i have to work on my plane even without flying it does not bother me at all i love working on them but a builder i am not but i built my c-160 twin with my good friend at his shop and i had his advise when needed but i am learning, where i am disabled it is hard for me so i just do a little at a time, even if i go to the field and just get one or two flights in i am such a happy camper, i am completely hooked on this hobby, without this hobby and everyones help and advise i just do not know what i would do, this is a hobby that i am able to do and enjoy, he done such a great job on the twinstar, you know that i also love watching someone making repairs, you guys are just so good at what you do and it just makes my day a little better, rollie
Old 09-19-2006, 11:12 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Well Bill, there in lies a story about me and twins. Break-time's just about over so I have to go back to work [ or at least, look like I'm doing something ] Would I dissapoint you if I said I'm having more fun with this silly Dual Ace than all the other twins I've had [ and pulled my hair out with ] Talk to you later, Seeya, MM
Old 05-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Capt. Crackup
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Guys, After reading all the forum stuff, I'm hooked on the Dual Ace. I just won one on e-bay. How does the landing gear hold up? Do you recommend any mods? Thanks Skip D
Old 05-11-2007, 12:51 PM
pilot727

Capt
I always put a little epoxy into the block the gear goes into to keeo it from making a groove in the block and i also put epoxy all along the the length of the landing gear where the two pieces of plastic go over the landing gear and it will keep the landing gear rock solid, do not forget the epoxy gets hot so only brush a little onto the landing gear is all it take. mine have never loosened up, not even a little and that is what you want.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Capt. Crackup

Hey Rollie,
Thanks for the advice. We have chatted before. Specifically about C 160 Transalls. Is yours still flying good? Mine is and I'm still loving it.
But back to the dual ace, I was thinking of OS LA 46s. Do you know anything about that combination?
Thanks Skip D
Old 05-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I am also buiding one and using two Saito .62s, they turn Graupner 12x7s at 9.000 plus.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Capt. Crackup

dmartin168, Could you post some pics of your 4-stroke install. was the throttle linkage cramped? I'm thinking of 52 magnum 4-strokes or Thundertiger 46 2 strokes. Thanks Skip D
Old 12-28-2007, 04:11 PM
pilot727

I like a nice engine on a twin specially as i live in utah and you need the extra power, i used two OS-25 fx on my twinstar as i do not want the exra weight and you could not ask for a nicer plane with great speed but also if one engine dies you do not have the extra weight, my C-160 was a great airplane with two OS-32 SX engines, would pull a loop with plenty of power, i always use an engine that will give me what i want but without the weight of a heavy engine as you will lose all the way around, your a great guy capt and i enjoy talking with you anytime, i am one that when i get tired of a plane i give it away after i have gotten my use out of it, i gave three twinstars with engines complete, the C-160 transall with engines, a new seawind completely built but not flown without the engine, after i put it together i then understood that it would be hard on my back as i am totally disabled and i love twins, they are my favorite, also a phonix twin and all of my OS engines a new in box 120 FS /W pump, two of them one used a few years on a big stick a most wonderful plane and engine and two OS-91 FS also with the pump, i am a sport pilot but i like to have a most powerful engine that runs like no other so i gave every one of my engines away except for my OS-32 i have on a lt-25 with ski's to fly off of the snow, i will not mount an engine without a soft mount by merle hyde, the hyde soft mount and i now run all YS-Engines, i have 2 of the 110's and a 140 and the brute 160 DZ, they all start well, idle well and when i need power and i hit the throttle i get just what i paid for, i ever have the hyde soft mount on my lt-25, before my planes were like holding a chain saw, the vibration that you hear when every plane take off, the plane that jumps around on the ground, i moved up to a DA-50 I made no mistake doing so, but the ones that did not use the hyde mount and used the 10dollar mount, they got just what they paid for, what i do not understand is the pilots that take so much time and spend so much money and do not use the most important product needed to keep a plane clean and running good, i have lost so many mufflers, since i got the hyde mount i have lost none and ask anyone at the field, they are amased at the loss of vibration in my planes if any at all, there is a nice artical at central hobbies about merle, it took him over 10 years to invent this mount, i only paid 55 dollars for a soft mount for my ys-110 and 140 dollars for my DA-50 now after feeling my airplane run at all speeds on the bench there are many soft mounts at our field, but that is only me and what i want out of a plane, i only wished that i learned this years ago, happy new year capt and keep in touch, it is always so ice to hear from pilots like yourself and many others
Old 12-29-2007, 10:32 AM
dmartin168
My Feedback: (11)

The OS 52 4-strokes fit very good into the cowling. The throttle linkage was a not a problem. I will pull the cowling off one of the engine and take some pictures so you can see the installation, it will be awail. The airplane flys great with the OS 52's. I am not a big fan of Magnum engines, OS is the only way to go....... Take care and good flying......
Old 12-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Capt. Crackup

Thanks dmartin168, I am looking forward to seeing your install. I have had my Dual Ace since last Febuary. I am looking forward to putting it together. Should be starting in the next week or so.

Pilot727, I also have a Twinstar with FX25s on it. It is a strong combination. My C 160 had La 25s. I just sold my Transall at a recent fly-in. Will be using that money for the "Build Skippy an Airplane Fund". Thanks to all for the advice, and help. Skip D
Old 12-30-2007, 04:10 PM
dmartin168
My Feedback: (11)

Attached are the pictures of the fuel tank installation and throttle linkage. I used throttle cable thru a nyrod and glued it to the side. You can see this in the pictures. I suggest you use Sullivan Flextank 10 oz (Sullivan 1728) the fuel tanks that come with the model are only about 8 oz. and will cut down your flying time..... Whey you go to balance the airplane, the CD needs to be moved back. Anyway, take care and good flying. If you have any more questions feel free to email me.
Take care and good flying.......
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54024.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	837481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22729.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	837482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92481.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	837483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94822.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	837484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97179.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	837485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98095.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	837486  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.