Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

*Eletronic Engine Syncronizer *

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

*Eletronic Engine Syncronizer *

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:47 AM
MLDELARUELLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eletronic engine syncronizer - no joke

Hi all,

Are the twin sync ready now ?
Are all known bugs fixed ?
I don't want to hurry up you Bill.
Just to know if it's time to order to RCShowcase.

Bill, as you did a great job. I was waitting such a device since 2 years, may I suggest you an other interresting stuff that perhaps you
could manufacture : a securized transmitter/receiver.
I'm waiting for it too

Please have a look there :

[link=http://home.nordnet.fr/~fthobois/anglais/introstf96.htm]http://home.nordnet.fr/~fthobois/anglais/introstf96.htm[/link]

This on the fly frequency shift RC equipment is not manufactured, one have to build it oneself...
I was thinking of a upgrade kit on a standard RC.

Thanks
ML
Old 08-23-2006, 09:30 PM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

I would say that I should have confirmation that all reported issues are resolved by this weekend. I have already received confirmation that "test devices" have solved all issues. I just need to verify that the fixes put into the test devices work as expected on production level devices.

I am not saying that all reported issues were issues with the TwinSync either (actually very few were). I have been solving many problems including installation, throttle mechanical setup, radio programming, RFI noise from ignition systems, manual and documentation issues, etc. The field/beta testers in general have been fantastic in reporting any issue that an in-experienced modeler may hit even though the field testers in general have been in the "expert" or above class and I thank all of you that I have been working directly with and are actively using the TwinSync.

So I think everyone would like to hear about all issues found and the solutions...

The following are issues that have been found:
- low RPM hunting or oscillations on big gas engines - Resolved a couple of weeks ago for electronic ignition engines. Report I got today is that that same fix resolves it on Magneto equipped engines but spark RFI was continuing to cause what appeared to be an issue. Should be verified fix by this weekend. Also we found much better results are achived with two magnets on engines that will never exceed about 10K RPM at low RPM.
- The above hunting or oscillation has also resulted in upcoming recomendations on using expanded end points for gas engines, a new programmable "sync engagement point" on new software, and mechanical recomendations for non-linear (differential) throttle push rod setup for GAS engines (i.e. a lot of servo movement producesvery little throttle arm movement below 1/2 stick). The reason being is that 1% servo movement can result in a 300+ rpm change on some gas engine setups.
- Multiplex radios run a frame rate sufficiently slow than all other radios to result in what the TwinSync interprets as transmitter signal loss and does a PCM lock out and kills both engines. This algoritm was completely changed so that 6 pulses in a row have to be missed and it will operate with a frame rate as low as 20Hz. (Multiplex is about 33Hz and 40hz is standard in the industry).
- Sensor mounting. Seems simple but it is not and sensor wires can pick up RFI interference from spark systems. Sensor faces and not tops must face magnets which requires bending the sensors as they come from the factory. Plastic spinners or no spinners takes some fore thought (I am thinking about offering an optical upgrade). Sensor wire must be kept away from Gas engines and their ignition system due to spark noise. Non-conductive sensor mounts should be used.
- the varity of engine response, rpm range, and servo speeds have resulted in my adding a response time adjustment and more recently this response time varies based on RPM range. Why slow response times for glow users or high performance gas engines to meet the slow response times of big magneto and flywheel gas engines. Factory default will probably be glow engines for now. Gas engine users will probably need to make some response time program changes. Feedback is welcome here but Glow is the bulk of the users. If I make the fatory default for gas engines glow, will work fine but sync time, dead stick, and sagging engine response times will suffer. Gas guys will see "hunting" at low RPM and have to add a second magnet and change the response time setting.
- I am planning on adding what I call a "dead band". The dead band is a target RPM range in which the device declares the engines are "in sync" and stops moving the servos. Beta devices out there now are set at 100 rpm. Early devices were set to no dead band and moved the servos unless both engines were measured at the "same" rpm which was about 10 rpm at 5000rpm and 50rpm at about 20,000RPM. No servo and carb can hit these targets and this resulted in some hunting that could only be observed with brushless motors or big gas engines.

So in general no issues with the device were found with glow. All issues were Gas engine related except manual/documentation and the multiplex radio issue.

As a result, I have continued to hold all requests for software updates that have come in the last week and RC Showcases' inventory until I get final confirmation that everything is solved....

I am traveling this week with work and hopefully will have confirmation before or over this weekend that everything is resolved. I will do a major post and/or a new thread when I release product for general distribution and ship RCS's inventory...

This has been a challenge... There is more electronic technology in this device than in the first moon landing - no joke...

As for the frequency hopping transmitter- it is not legal in the US and probably not in the EU either. Besides, I have a better idea for solving that issue anyway - i.e. that's probably why that can only be offered as a kit. This kit could keep your plane flying while crashing other planes at your club.

I haven't decided if my next project will be a multi-axis heading-hold solid-state gyro or a scale light flashing device (i.e. do I want something simple or the 8th wonder of the world)... That is a surprise but it will be sold through RCS and is not that far off - I will tell no more...

If you want your TwinSync to ship the same day you order it from RC Showcase you are probably 1-2 weeks away from that point.

One other reminder is that I am increasing prices after their introductory inventory is sold out...
Old 08-23-2006, 10:14 PM
yl5295

P.S. Where is my B-17? .... I am going to start calling CD's to find a B-17 owner? The 4-engine versions of the twin sync could be ready for bench testing in a few weeks... (2) complete 4 enging units free to the first person to send me a B-17 arf or kit.

If I have to build an ugly test bench out of 2x4"s to test four engines I am going to raise the MSRP by $50-100US on the four engine version.... Looks like $250-350 right now on the 3-4 engine version... I will prove that it works and stop there until some one is serious about it and not productize it.

I have the remote display very close that gives a RPM and led status read out for each engine (I know WR - It's fluff and unecssary weight and expense - which I agree with - I don't need it either - but it also works with a new undiscussed product). The same serial link (2 pin connector) enables the up to 4 engine syncronization capability with two TwinSyncs.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:19 AM
GPFleming

Thanks for the reply to mixing Genesys and TwinSync together. Sounds like a relatively simple task to mount the TwinSync magnet further outboard on the spinner backplate and keep the inner ring of Genesys magnets in place. However, how far is far? How sensitive is the sensor? Will it pick up the pulse from a magnet that's 1/2" away? 1/4"? 1/8".

I've also been holding off on my engine selection partially because of this entire discussion on the TwinSync. I've got a Ziroli P-61 all set to go minus the engines. For me it's all about the sound!! I love 4-stroke multi and will probably go with the Saito 300 Twin but hate to cut the holes in my cowls to let the rocker covers stick out. I've spent many months trying to find a 4-stroke glow that will fit inside the 7½" cowl (190 cm) and still let me swing a 4 blade 20" prop. Twins, radials, in-line, they all have that extra 1" that just won't fit completely inside the cowl. I've tried going with Erikson's 2.0, then RCV"s 1.2. They will fit great but won't swing the prop (and I'm not looking for vertical performance. This bird is 50+ lbs. and needs at least 3.5 hp X 2)[]. Anyone with a suggestion? I love Saito but hate chopped up cowls.[]
Old 08-24-2006, 01:06 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

GPF:

With the magnet and sensor in line the signal becomes erratic when the separation gets over ¼ inch, at 3/8 inch it almost never triggers. With the Genesys magnets not only ¼ inch or more away but off axis as well, you’ll probably be OK. If you can put the TwinSync magnet and sensor further off the axis of the Genesys magnet ring I’d do it – the more margin the les likely to have any interference.

In any case, you should do some careful testing to be certain the space is sufficient.

Engine? How about a nine cylinder genuine radial, 7 1/16 inch diameter, and swing a 20x8 prop? That’s the Technopower 9B engine. Call them at (714) 546-6194 and check on availability.

Bill.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:11 AM
MLDELARUELLE

Hi,
I never seen a law against a two frequency transmistter in France. I don't know for other countries of Europe.

Really, it's illegal in US to use a transmitter transmitting on 35.160 Mhz and 35.200Mhz simultaneously, while the receiver select the best signal ? (I don't know exactly the frequency range of RC in US)

What's a pity, it could be good for security, if you think for instance of the deadly crash in Roumania this summer during a championship (2 people killed), and for keeping the glue in a corner of our workshop....

"This kit could keep your plane flying while crashing other planes at your club. "
What do you mean ? It's like an autopilot ? If so, it will not avoid the plane to hit something or someone.

Will the optical upgrade need of a firmware upgrade ?

I don't want the twinsync shipped the same day I order it, I just want to avoid to have to send it to you back for an upgrade.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
yl5295

Freq hopping transmitter should be a different thread.

Optical upgrade will be a piece of hardware and require no software changes/updates.

I will post when I ship production software and RCS' inventory.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 AM
yl5295

OK guys... I am releasing the product now and shipping RC Showcase's inventory today!!!

I have been wrestling with one last issue I wanted to get to the bottom of. To explain this last issue it was basically spark noise was being picked up by the sensor wires on magneto equipped gas engines. I have long heard not to use metal push rods to connect to the throttle on a gas engine. The problem is much worse than I expected when running a wire by the engine that is connected to the twinsync. The good news is that it appears even if noise gets into the TwinSync it does not get into the receiver.

So I am going to have to add a few cautions... Magnetos are worse than Electronic ignitions. Rubber spark boots are a very bad thing - Only Bosch shielded plug caps should be used. If you see RF interference after these steps you may need to shield the sensor wires with the shield grounded to radio ground. Run the sensor wires as far away from the engine and ignition system as possible.

No issues have been seen on glow. EI Gas engines are working fine. Stock Zenoah engines introduce RF noise into the sensor wires and result in erratic behavior. They can been cleaned up with a bosch plug cap.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:40 AM
baerentp

Hi Bill,

That is really good news! Looking forward trying out the system in Danish airspace... making it a bit safer... I hope!

Pete
Old 08-29-2006, 09:11 AM
yl5295

Product has shipped!!! I will get an updated manual out this week and RCS to post it to match the software in their inventory.

Two things to note... default timing parameters will be for GAS engines. They will work fine on glow synchronization will be faster by changing the timing parameters to be a little faster.

Rubber plug boots with magnetos is a bad combination. The hall effect sensor wires can pick up the RF spark interference and result in erratic servo behavior and/or poor synchronization.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two things to note... default timing parameters will be for GAS engines. They will work fine on glow synchronization will be faster by changing the timing parameters to be a little faster.
Can you please clarify this? Is the unit I am going to receive from RCS set up more for gasoline ignition engines instead of methanol glow engines?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:10 PM
yl5295

All of the TwinSyncs now have a programmable parameter for "response time". This basically let's you setup the device to perfectly match the throttle and servo response times of your airplane. If the "response time" is set to fast the servos will "hunt" or "oscillate" arround the "sync point" - i.e. go in and out of sync a little. If the "response time" is set too slow then the engines are just a little slower to synchronize - no other down side.

The servos are constantly moving a little to sync the engines so you have to go by sound not by watching the throttle arms if you want to change this setting.

So I set all of the units that shipped to RCS (as well as the units that were returned for software updates) to be optomized for gasoline engines. You can improve the time to sync on glow motors by speeding up the response time. The devices will still work fine for glow just that you can improve the time to sync from maybe 1-1.5 sec to ~0.5sec by changing this. The downside if I had set them for optimal glow settings is that the gas engine guys would have had bad oscillations out of the box. By setting them to the gas engine setting everyone should be able to use them out of the box without having to reprogram anything. Glow guys now have the option to improve things some by changing this setting.

To change it move the selector switch to position 4. Power up the unit. Wait until the leds stop flashing fast (3 seconds) and start flashing slowly. Write down what lights are flashing slowly after the first 3 seconds. Then look at where it is currently set to in the instructions (included below). Then mash either button until you get to the next faster setting in the table below. I marked in the table below where glow motors should be set to. Onces the desired lights are slowing flashing move the selector switch back to "0". Power cycle the device and you are ready to go.

LED5 LED3 LED4 MODE
RED YELLOW YELLOW
ON ON ON Fastest possible setting…
ON ON OFF Very fast setting good for use with Brushless ESCs
ON OFF ON *** This is best for fast glow and servos
ON OFF OFF *** This is best for standard glow and servos
OFF ON ON Factory default mode for fast responding Gas engines
OFF ON OFF
OFF OFF ON
OFF OFF OFF Slowest possible setting

Note that LED3 is closest to the button and LED 4 is closest to the selector switch.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM
yl5295

If this is not clear drop me an email with your phone number when you get the unit and I'll call you and walk you through it.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:53 AM
orcrest

HI

I've ordered one of these beauties for my KMP P38. Just reading through the instructions about onboard glow and had a few questions about what battery to use. I'm not real bright when it comes to working out voltages and stuff (probably why I've put off trying electrics ) so I'd appreciate it if you could give me a straight forward answer.[sm=drowning.gif]

For each option of 1. a single battery source; and 2. a dual battery source:

What voltage battery do I need to use? (from the manual I read 1.8V and not over 2.0V)

Will I need to use a voltage regulator? (I haven't found a single cell nicad/nimh at 1.8V)

As I said, I'm not real bright about these things and I'd really like someone to just tell me what I need[sm=red_smile.gif]

Thanks

Da Orc
Old 08-30-2006, 09:04 AM
MLDELARUELLE

Hi guys,

I've just order it. But RCshowcase told me it was back ordered. I thought it was avalaible.
Just a little more time to wait ?

Thanks
ML
Old 08-30-2006, 09:20 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Orc:

Just use ordinary 1.2v NiCads for the glow heat, whether you use a single battery or a pair is up to you, the greater battery capacity the longer you can go between charges.

MLDELARUELLE:

BillW shipped them to RCS a few days ago, should be there by now.

Bill.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 AM
orcrest

Ah Bill

Thankyou, simple and direct as always! [sm=biggrin.gif]

I was hoping 1.2V would be OK like on my SJPROPO glow driver but I wanted to be sure.

Cheers

Da Orc
Old 08-31-2006, 09:15 AM
orcrest

Just got an email from Stacey at Rcshowcase and she says she still hasn't seen the units yet. Hopefully it won't be too long![sm=47_47.gif]

Anyone know how many units were sent? I hope there's enough to go round.

Cheers

Da Orc
Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 AM
yl5295

I just tracked the package and it was delievered. They probably have to log them into inventory etc.. So should be anytime now.

As of a couple of weeks ago, the number of back orders was much less than the number of units that they received.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:10 PM
orcrest

HURRAY!!!!!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Stacey just emailed me to advise they have the units and are shipping them out Friday!!!! Can't wait.

Cheers All

Da Orc
Old 08-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I received my shipping confirmation at 9:17 AM PDT this morning.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Jim Reeves

RCS Showcase has e mailed to say that the unit has been dispatched to the UK so will advise later when I get it!

Thanks for all your effort Bill, I'm sure that flyin a twin with one of these babys is gonna be a whole lot easier on the mind!

Jim
Old 09-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Closed at the request of the origniator

For SUPPORT, UPDATES, and questions/answers regarding this product
please refer to RCU thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#4700596