Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

KMP CUSTOMER SATISFACTION P-38 WARNING

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

KMP CUSTOMER SATISFACTION P-38 WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:09 PM
tofly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP CUSTOMER SATISFACTION P-38 WARNING

I won't rehash whole story on my KMP-38 its on other post ,but in short center section internal bulkheads and wing tube box fell apart after 3 flights. I contacted Andrew Kondor by email he was on vacation but emailed me back promptly I explained the problem he did offer to send me a center section but those that have built P-38 know that is usless everything is epoxied to it,he said I could return airframe to factory let them determine problem see if they would replace (ship that size plane to BC or China undetermined amount of time and headache both agreed not practical)we left it at me trying to repair plane $50.00 dollar gift certificate he'd pay for epoxy. At this point I,m discouraged about this, new plane falls apart $50.00, anyway was able to remove internal bulkheads build new wing tube boxes ordered aeropoxy from BVM jets best epoxy for composite construction,epoxy kit 2 tubes epoxy application gun $93.00 with shipping 3 hours labor. Called Andrew he called right back told him didn't think $50.00 certificate was fair now $100.00 dollar certificate for my troubles .Still not happy cost me that in glue, anyway he was going to factory in a few days would look into matter more deeply.I emailed him to see what he found got his email replay which is posted at bottom. I'm not bashing KMP
I like the plane it looks good flys good ,Andrew very responsive to calls and emails ,but his email says planes center section built with wrong type glue it is being corrected in all new kits to me thats admitting plane not right from factory and to me $100.00 gift certificate for there products which I now question does not seem very fair to me, maybe I'm wrong but thats my opinion.

Sent : Friday, May 12, 2006 1:13 PM
To : [email protected]
Subject : Re: P-38

| | | Inbox

Yes I did actually. I found out that they used regular wood glue for that area. Its a good idea and we're going to mention it to those with P-38's to take a quick peak and with some epoxy and a brush to cote the entire area for extra strength where the wing tubes meet. The actual construction itself is good but the glue will be switched to epoxy in that area from this point on.

Regards,

Andrew Kondor
President - Kondor Model Products
www.kmp.ca

Old 05-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: KMP CUSTOMER SATISFACTION P-38 WARNING

tofly,

As the customer...

WHAT, could you like KMP to do to make you happy..?

Andrew has proven to be an asset to the hobby time and time again..
He has stood behind his product even at times when it was more than
questionable.. He has listened to his customers for both the good and
the bad... Where we all know you can't please everyone all the time,,
he sure as heck trys to...
Be reasonable with him and I am willing to bet he will be reasonable with,, you...

Robby
Old 05-16-2006, 02:40 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tofly,

I understand your frustration. I have had times recently where I've come close to wanting to get out of this hobby due to a defective item that cost me a brand new plane. It is ridiculous that there is not better quality control to have determined ahead of time that they were using the wrong type of glue. For me it's a no-brainer, but I don't design planes nor do I work in a manufacturing plant in China making a ridiculously low wage, but I digress.

It sounds to me like, short of sending you a full new kit, you are probably not going to be satisfied. Even then, you have invested all this time and energy that seems wasted to you now. The only way you'll really feel like things have been made right, I'm guessing, is if they sent you, via overnight shipping, a fully-assembled, brand-new aircraft. I'm not saying you should be satisfied with less, by any means, because quite frankly you have been cheated, allbeit unintentionally, by the manufacturer. It sounds to me, though, like this Andrew guy has gone waaaay beyond what most people would do in his shoes. I think that his efforts at making things right should be commended as, basically, an act of good ethics. Legally one would be hard-pressed to get him compelled to give back anything.

These ARF's are almost all produced overseas nowadays and the craftmanship ain't usually very good. I have had hit-and-miss luck with them so far. I find myself flowing CA in lots of the cracks and crevices just in case. And, in those places that you can't see into, you basically have to hold your breath and say a little prayer in hopes that whoever built it did so with pride.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:14 AM
tofly

Robby not once did I mention anything negative about Andrew in fact I said he was great in responding I'm just not satisfied with solution .As a customer what would make me happy, I dont want a new kit fixed mine and I like the plane Andrew assured me that its not the norm for them to have these problems ok so I suggested a discount on ME109 kit half of retail in my opinion that was fair I spent $93.00 in repairing plus my time and aggravation.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Phantom pty

Tofly
How long ago did you buy this P38 I wonder if this is one of the newer versions
Old 05-17-2006, 09:15 PM
tofly

nope new generation kit just got it ruffly 2 months ago
Old 05-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Deadeye

I know nothing about the KMP line of models, other than they make me drool excessivley. But the last time I checked, 'wood' glue usually doesn't fail. The wood around the glue fails. So either it was 'hot' glue, or poor quality wood that won't hold any type of glue. Now, with that said, I can assume that Andrew doesn't skimp on wood (based on his reputation). So maybe he got ahold of some poor quality wood glue? Whats the wood look like?

Also, maybe you should consider polyurethane glue for your next repair. I recently covered a friend's 1/3 scale Lanier Extra built 14 years ago. EVERY epoxy (West Systems) joint had yellowed and was so brittle, the epoxy would break by just picking it up! I could flake it off with a toothpick. No way in heck would it have survived a maiden flight. Everything is reinforced and reglued with Elmer's Probond polyurethane glue now. To say it is strong now is an understatement.

Hope the plane flys well for you. Good luck on the maiden.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:43 AM
robert waldo
My Feedback: (1)

I purchased what was the first prodution P-38's from KMP, they were a mess! Kondor at first responded to my calls but when all of the P. R. B.S. was over I was unable to exchange or even credit the unbuilt POS. Luckly for me the hobby store owner was interested in keeping my buisiness and after exaiming the issues I had he gave me my money back. I have noticed he is very generous with some key people though.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:37 PM
AKondor

HI Everyone:

I just came back from a trip to China visiting the factories that make the models for us so I appreciate the patience in responding to these concerns.

First, We don't want our customers who make efforts to repair something which should have arrived in otherwise perfect condition to go unrecognized.

Second, We also don't want our customers who have flown our models and later find an anomaly in the kit to also go unrecognized.

If any of our customers have any concerns regarding our models new or old I urge you to call me personally (toll free) and I will do everything I can to remedy the situation. 888-968-7251

Regards[8D],
Old 05-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Patto

FYI, the fact that he is monitoring these forums and offering to help resolve issues, new and old, is more than a lot of distributors are willing to do... just my $.02