Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

New twin design project

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

New twin design project

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:29 AM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New twin design project

Hi 'goose,

I was looking at another part of RCU and came across this model, Gee Bee R3. It's in the style of a 30s racer, looks as if you could have a hand in it's design.

Take a look, it's rather interesting as is the convoluted story that goes with it.

Try this address; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35..._1/key_/tm.htm

old git - - - - - - aka John L.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:58 PM
old git

Hi goose,

How is the model coming on, seems to me it could have flown by now. Not at my build speed but yours!

pld git
Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Hi John, here's a pic of the progress, not that much more than before. It's been too rainy to paint the rest so far. I did go to a float fly (the one that i wanted to bring this plane to), it was at least nice a sunny and hot there and we all had a great time. I'll finish this now as weather permits but definitely want it done and flying well before the fall float fly. Here's a couple pics from the spring float fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56451.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	702859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37955.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	702860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19900.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	702861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi80828.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	702862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33585.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	702863  
Old 06-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Cdallas2

Who's Twin Otter is that?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:10 PM
canadagoose

Can't remember his name, flies really good, with scale operating full span flaps! I can only imagine how hard it would be to get that right especially with the outer ones acting as ailerons too.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Cdallas2

I was working on one a couple years ago. Martin at Mr Aerodesign [link=http://Mr Aerodesign]http://www.mraerodesign.com/MRAero-EN.html[/link] is working on one as well (several years actually). The setup is suprisingly simple. If he ever finishes his I'm deifinately getting a set.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:36 AM
old git

Hi Goose,

Your model looks really nice now with the trim stripes, nice shine too. I think the scenery at the float meeting was as good as the models. I suppose the cost is the inclement weather, it must limit flying time as well as spray finishing time.

All in all I guess it's probably worth it. I live in a London suburb and flying fields are being lost time and again. There is a tendancy of local authorities to lump model flying with other types of anti-social behaviour such as motorcycling and general vandalism. Smoking is not allowed in a public enclosed space or place of work. That may be OK but smoking in the firms van counts as a place of work and is not allowed. We are now the world capital of surveilance cameras!

Yes, I am jealous of your wilderness and the rest of it. I wish I could have seen the float fly, some lovely aircraft.

I hope the maiden flight goes well, I did understand that you had flown twins before, is that so? I saw a mention of a method/device for keeping the motors synchronised earlier on RCU.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 PM
canadagoose

Hi Goose,

Your model looks really nice now with the trim stripes, nice shine too. I think the scenery at the float meeting was as good as the models. I suppose the cost is the inclement weather, it must limit flying time as well as spray finishing time.

All in all I guess it's probably worth it. I live in a London suburb and flying fields are being lost time and again. There is a tendancy of local authorities to lump model flying with other types of anti-social behaviour such as motorcycling and general vandalism. Smoking is not allowed in a public enclosed space or place of work. That may be OK but smoking in the firms van counts as a place of work and is not allowed. We are now the world capital of surveilance cameras!

Yes, I am jealous of your wilderness and the rest of it. I wish I could have seen the float fly, some lovely aircraft.

I hope the maiden flight goes well, I did understand that you had flown twins before, is that so? I saw a mention of a method/device for keeping the motors synchronised earlier on RCU.
Hi John, should be able to get some painting done again when i get my days off work looks like sun in the forcast. I've almost got my sons plane finished anyways during all this rainy weather (the little one in the background on that last photo of my VeeRod) so he's really happy about that. That will be the first plane i've power with an electric motor.
The scenery at the float fly isn't too bad, nice area and beautiful beach! After spending 16 years living up in Northern BC though, I look at this area where the float fly is held as being very civilized and quite populated. I guess it's all in the perspective of what a persons used to. I remember driving a hiway up north one winter night for 4 hours and only seeing 3 other vehicles. It really felt desolate!
That's really bad about loosing flying fields, i guess that is one thing we are lucky for is having quite alot of fresh water lakes to fly from. BTW our government is imposing alot of new laws and regulations on us as well. I'd say the anti smoking laws here are close to the same, i'm an ex smoker now so am not bothered by that anyways.
This will be the first twin for me, i'm crossing my fingers.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Slowjohn

Howdy Goose,
Your an inspiration to us my man. One heck of a great job your doing. I've finally started on my 1st "Twin" conversion project just yesterday. The message from old git aka John (Hi John) came just at the right time so he gits to share in the blame here I was trying to decide which "Project" to start next when the notification came about his latest post here. That's all it took for me to go digging through all my plans and came up with a set of plans for a Lainer ST 40. I'd bought a set of wings about a year ago but put them aside after USPS did a Tap Dance on them it looked like. Just so happens that where the most damage was is where the left nacelle will go. The seller I got the wing from sent me the plans for the fuselage along with the wing sheet when I told him what USPS had done. Of course I'll be powering mine with electric motors and I'm seriously thinking about going with retracts also, sort of like an Aero Commander. I also bought a GWS C-47 to throw together for a little practice but by me running electric motors on everything I don't have to worry much about a one out situation.
Sure looking forward to you completing this build and it's maiden flight report. Also, Good Luck on your son's plane and his maiden as well.

Standing By,
Slowjohn
Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 AM
canadagoose

Just an update, the painting is just about done, it would be otherwise but i want to change the nacelles so that they have a scallop on top, then that will be it. I did change the bottom of the fuse behind the CG, mostly black now. Not looking too bad i think. I found that Tremclad is best to paint with on really warm days, hard to get a run and dries fast in that kind of weather.

Name:	Qo40460.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	715969  
Old 07-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Slowjohn

Hey Goose,
Absolutely Awesome!!!

Slowjohn
Old 07-26-2007, 10:28 PM
canadagoose

Have been working on getting all the radio gear in and the 40fp engines mounted. I set the right engine with a little right thrust, the left at 0 degrees. Will have to see how this works out. I had to mount the servos, switch, reciever and battery in the fuse as far forward as i could get it. I really didn't think that this plane would turn out tail heavy but it did. Had to glue some ugly lead weights to the float tips. The elevator control horn ended up sticking out the top of the back cover through a slot i had to cut in it. Oh well. All servos except for the throttle are hitec standards. The throttle servos are Hitec hs-81's. Only have a couple things left to do now. (bracing the floats, make the water rudder and ca the cowl mount rings so that they are fuel proof, ithink that's about it) Here's some pics. I have the throws set as follows: ailerons 1/2", elevators 3/4" and the rudders at 1" either way. I will still need to run the engines quite a bit on the ground before trying to fly it. When the kids had their little blow up pool out i had to see how she looked sitting in some water

Name:	Vt58861.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	730588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53727.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	730589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22047.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	730590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37936.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	730591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92352.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	730592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65752.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	730593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21493.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	730594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50802.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	730595  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60790.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	730596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35975.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	730597  
Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 PM
iron eagel

Looks great Goose, best wishes for your maiden!
Old 07-27-2007, 04:00 AM
old git

Hi 'goose,

It's looking rather good especially on the water, shame the pool water is so clear (for my interests, understand it should be clear for the kids). I spent some time perusing the pic' to see how it sat on the water, I just couldn't make out the waterline.

Have you used this design of float before? it looks as if you have the centre of buoyancy directly under the C/G which is I suppose the way to set up a floatplane.

I just had a thought, with your computing skills you might use a set of cross sections to establish a centre of buoyancy (C/B) for the design of float. It would be possible to modify the cross section to put the C/B in the desired position. Better than just dropping it in the water to see where the C/B had come out.

Great stuff, maiden flight soon please, get pics'.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:38 AM
Slowjohn

Good Morning Goose,
Well my man, You have done it!!! I had promised myself "No More" but we all know how that goes in this hobby. Please email me what it'll take to get the plans and a fiberglass kit when you get it all figured out. I must be honest and say I didn't even think it would look as "Absolutely Awesome" as it does. I've never been inclined to build a Float plane before much less a Twin and a Racer but I'll have to build this one. I see that I'll also have to build one or two first to get the feel for one and I have a kit to bash in mind that I have stuck back. I only bought it because of the price so that'll work out great along with living on the Gulf Coast of Texas and all of the water around here not taking into account all of the rain we've had this year so far.

I finally started on my 1st Twin bash of a Lanier ST-40 from plans. About all I have left to build is the H. stab, elevator, twin V. stabs & rudders. Then finish the nacelle hatches and then cover it all. Still a lot to do for sure.

Best Wishes on a Successful Maiden,
Slowjohn
Old 07-27-2007, 08:36 AM
canadagoose

Hello old git, i've used this design of float on both the small and the large VeeBee and i've been really happy with the way the floats perform on them. They aren't sitting very deep in the water on this plane, they don't on the VeeBee's either, the transom is submerged maybe a 1/4" and at the step about 1 1/2". On the VeeBee's I liked the way these floats sit when taxiing with the elevator deflected up fully, the transom sinks in more and allows the nose to sit up higher so the prop isn't picking up water.
I'm not sure how to calculate center of bouyancy. You'll have to give a tutorial on it.
When i do maiden it i'll try to get pics and a video.

Good morning Slowjohn, i'll need to work on the plans after the summer make a least the changes to them that i've made so far on the model. I'm just hoping i won't have to make major changes because of bad flight behaviour. I need to work on my glassing technique too, the cowls for the fp40's had alot of pinholes that needed filling. The first ones for the Saitos were only a little better. I'll let you know though.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Ichy

[sm=thumbs_up.gif] Stunning!
Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 PM
octane-link

Not sure if anyone talked about Freeman Manufacturing for your cowlings. They make a great product for creating molds, and its very quick to use. I'd recommend that, even with your foam, I made plugs from that. As long as the plug is smooth (fill the pores), its a great product.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:21 PM
canadagoose

Not sure if anyone talked about Freeman Manufacturing for your cowlings. They make a great product for creating molds, and its very quick to use. I'd recommend that, even with your foam, I made plugs from that. As long as the plug is smooth (fill the pores), its a great product.
Hello octane-link, i went to their website but don't know what product you're referring to. What's it called? I would like to read a little on it to see if it would be suitable for my use.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
canadagoose

Bracing of the floats is complete, i made a couple spreader bars to strengthen the spreader music wires. Sanded them to an airfoil shape and filed a groove in the bottoms near the leading edge for the music wire to fit into. I covered these with monocote, painted them red and epoxied them to the music wires. Does make a big difference for resistance to bending as i had used fairly thin music wire for the spreaders. I used some Proctor rigging cable and turnbuckles for the diagonal bracing.

Name:	Fc90494.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	732507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26452.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	732508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40959.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	732509  
Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 PM
iron eagel

Have you thought about using fairings on your verticals and to where it connects to the fuse, floats and spreaders? I wonder if you could make it stiff enough eliminate the wire diagonals. You have reduced the drag of the spreaders why not the verticals to the floats and uprights to the fuse.
Where it is bent it weaker and might want to move around a bit or fractures on the bends but you have it pretty solid.
Looks like it should work as is and looks cool, just a thought....

How about something like this for your cowls???
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 PM
canadagoose

I was going to do the verticals as well but i want to test fly it first, do you have a bigger pic of the cowl, looks good from what i can see.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 PM
iron eagel

It is part of this airplane see pic below, I have yet to cut the opening for muffler (it will be installed on an extension out of the side), I just spun the picture upside down to give you an idea. The hot air exits below the fuse under the cockpit on mine,you could use a NACA scoop on the top of nacelles for the exit point.

I don't have the original picture on this computer. I'll try to dig it up later

Regards,

Paul

Name:	Wt59188.jpg
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	732687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74245.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	732688  
Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 PM
canadagoose

iron eagle, i have built cowls like that before but i've put too much work in making a mold for the ones i've got to discard them now. Looks good though.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

I was thinking about trying to use differential engine thrust for taxiing instead of using a water rudder. I know twinman has described the practice as being dangerous, but it sounds like it would be dangerous if the programming was to spool up one of the engines. What about programming to decrease rpm on an engine for turning? Any thoughts on this anyone? Some of of the guys i've talked to at the float fly i go to use differential on their twins for taxiing. I will test the plane out without a water rudder or differential thrust to see how effective the rudders are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.