Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

RCM Twin Trainer - First Flight

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

RCM Twin Trainer - First Flight

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:43 PM
meaden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCM Twin Trainer - First Flight

Hi everyone,

Rather than jump right into that Ziroli B-25 I thought I'd get some twin experience

I've built this RCM Twin Trainer from plans and I'm looking to see if she'll fly on Sunday. I have a bit left to do, final radio setup, final balance, and run the engines in. Everything looks good per the plans, wing incidence, thrust angles on the engines, weight...etc. I was planning on running 3-4 tanks through both engines tomorrow depending on how they break in.

I've built and have been flying the single engine version so I think I have a feel for how the design will handle.

I'm interested in general advice anyone might have pre-first-twin-flight. (besides having plenty of help from the peanut gallery

Specs and Pics follow....(I'll post better pictures of the Twin after the first flight...my superstition...)

RCM Twin Trainer
62" wings
2 Super Tiger .45's on 10oz tanks
5 servos one for each engine on a "Y"
Weight about 7 - 7.5 lb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69625.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	540661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95207.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	540662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53927.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	540663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42256.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	540664  
Old 10-13-2006, 08:02 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: RCM Twin Trainer - First Flight

M:

The single locating peg for the LE of the wing is going to be trouble - any vibration at all and it will be ground away. I'm sure you can figure the result. It will be OK for a flight or two, but I'd replace it with a couple more screws as soon as possible.

Otherwise looks fine.

Keep your left thumb spring loaded to pull the throttles to idle, more damage caused by uneven power than by a complete dead stick in sport twins.

Enjoy it, and welcome to an entirely different world that's not really all that different.

Bill.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:47 PM
meaden

Yeah, I did a little "engineering" on the wing attachment. The plans called for rubber bands like the single engine but I was worried about that arrangement. An I wanted something a little more precise in relation to the angles involved setting up the engines.

I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:34 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When in doubt about an engine treat it like a dead stick. Minor damage from a dead stick can almost always be repaired. Must have had 200 engine outs over time and all were successful dead stick (1/4 throttle) landings with zero damage. Power is not your friend when an engine drops.

Bill
Old 10-22-2006, 08:32 AM
meaden

I had to push it back a week, but she flew! Man, what a cool sound with the two Super Tigers humming along! Lots of power too, she cruses along at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle nicely. I ran into a fellow club member with twin experience that helped me tweak the throttle linkages and get the low end together (and raise my confidence.) A few adjustments to the engine thrust and the wing incidence and she'll be flying straight as an arrow.

This is only my second plans built plane so now I have confidence that the first wasn't a fluke. Humm...what should I build next...

Here are some pics after the first flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41645.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	545690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83525.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	545691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59449.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	545692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11340.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	545693  
Old 11-17-2006, 06:30 PM
wm6929

Where did you get the plans for this? I was considering somthing just like this for my 2nd or 3rd plane.

Will
Old 11-17-2006, 06:51 PM
drone pilot

Hmmmm, veddy interestink. Love odd ball twins, not meant to be offensive. just mean something different. When set up right , you should have no trouble flying on one engine. You probably have already been warned, but it won't hurt to hear it again. When (if) one engine dies, throttle back and DO NOT turn into dead engine with any power on the good one. You will enjoy..."double your pleasure..double your fun..try flying with two engines istead of just one....."Cliff
Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 PM
meaden

Here is the link. Search for plan #724 or under the alphabetical link for RCM Twin Trainer

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/store-plans.html

There has been a lot of talk about weather RCM is out of business as far as plans go. But I got these earlier this year and it took a LONG time but I got them (about a month.) I figure if their site is still up their selling plans.

drone pilot,

No offence taken. I like to build. An I like that what I build can be a little different.

In the first few flights I cracked the nose gear mount on hot landings but she'll get sorted out for spring.