Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

New "Harmony" sport twin!

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

New "Harmony" sport twin!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New "Harmony" sport twin!

I have been waiting for someone else to post this, but since no one else has I will make another announcement:

A new sport twin has been introduced by Ripmax UK and it is called the Harmony. It has retracts, looks very sleek, and is probably a fast airplane.

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemI...0&Category=010

Old 02-28-2007, 04:09 PM
AIVIA
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New "Harmony" sport twin!

GREAT looking twin ... I gotta have one!

Where can I get one in the US? I did a quick search on Tower's website and they don't have it listed yet.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure. But Global Hobby in the US imports and sells a lot of the same items as Ripmax at their Hobby People stores. So maybe............
Old 02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking plane.

The only thing I don't like is the engine mounting. On their web site, if you click on the photo of the unbuilt kit, it looks like they use a plywood, beam mount. The uncovered area of the wing also indicates a narrow slot for a ply mount. This is the same type of mount used on the Sea Monster and the engine was a shaker after it was started. The quality and strength of Asian plywood is no where near that of birch aircraft ply.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I want one too! Great Planes is the US distributor for Ripmax, but their buyer has never heard of the Harmony and Ripmax said they have not discussed the Harmony with Great Planes. I'd say that it will be six months to a year before we see it here, if we ever do.

I agree with Ed about the engine mounts. The tank appears to be hard-mounted also. Bad idea for any airplane but doubly bad in a twin. (Pun intended.) The other thing I don't like is the wide separation between the engines. They look like they could each be a couple of inches closer to the fuselage.

But I still want one. It is going to cost about $325 to get one from England and I am seriously considering it.

Jim
Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

JRF, where in England are you able to get it?. I tried the Ripmax dealer sites and none had the Harmony listed
Old 03-01-2007, 11:11 AM
ytrewq

HI,
I to have been waiting for one of these for two years. Ordered one from Sussex Model Centre and it should be delivered tomorrow. I am going to electify mine using the same setup as my DualAce. If the motor mount is as shown in the ads. it will be more suitable for electric power. Also in the ads. it specifies mechanical retracts, but air must be easier and lighter.

Alan
Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 AM
jrf

ytrewq:

Ripmax told me that it now comes with the mechanical retracts installed. Please post some info as soon as you get it.

Any obvious changes from the prototype that is shown in the photos? Are the retracts there? Covering material? Airfoil?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-01-2007, 07:07 PM
awood12345

I had a go of on of these and it flew very well. I have no clue what was in it but it went like clappers, nice Sideslip passes, knife edge, 4 pointers, spins even a little bit of prop hanging at height etc. Flew like just like a normal sports plane apart from being a bit faster (but it was a very windy day so can't judge that properly), it slowed up nice for landing aswell.

Not my kinda plane as I prefer scale multi's but it was fun to play with.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:34 AM
ytrewq

jrf
Kit arrived as promised today, so initial opinions.
Build quality seems OK , and it's a lot lighter than my Dual Ace. Motor mounts are a bit of a Micky Mouse affair. There are two
vertical ribs above and below the wing and the engine mount ( like a profile fuselage ) slips between and four predrilled dowels fix
it in place, the motor mount holes are also drilled. A bad point for me as i am electrifying it is that the nacells are pre trimmed for
the motors. Mechanical trike retracts are ready fitted with wells fitted in the wings but not supplied for the nose wheel. I may convert
to air to save the weight of two servos and extra battery.
I have to finish off a Top-Gun Spitfire electric conversion before starting the Harmony so I will post more once I start.

Alan
Old 03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
jrf

but not supplied for the nose wheel
I assume you mean that there is no "well" liner for the nosewheel.

Is the airfoil semi- or fully symmetrical?

Is the covering material iron-on or preprinted sticky-back?

Any obvious changes in the colour scheme from the prototype in the ads? Does it still have the Asian writing on the wing and tail?
Are the nacelle covers cut out for rear needle-valve engines as in the catalog photos, or can I use four-stroke engines without leaving gaping holes in the covers?

Please help me out here. I'm trying to decide whether to spend $325 for this kit. Normally, I would go to the local hobby shop and check it out, but since there are none in the US, I can't do that.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 03-03-2007, 05:53 AM
ytrewq

jrf
Yes there is no well liner for the nose wheel, but I may look into fitting a side hinged door.
The airfoil is semi symetrical
Colour scheme is as in ad. photos, printed check under wings, rest of model in iron on with all markings.
Cowls cut as in ad., I will have to cover all the opening. Cowls are some kind of plastic and quite fragile.
The biggest headache I can see is that it looks like you are limited to 11in props max because of ground clearance.
Hope this helps

Alan
Old 03-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Model Boat Mayhem

Saw one in the local shop yesterday - what can I seel to buy one?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:57 AM
jrf

Allan:

Thank you for the info. I am quite disappointed at the semi-symmetrical airfoil, plastic nacelle covers and Mickey Mouse engine mounts. I think I will wait until it becomes available in the US. The extra cost of the overseas freight doesn't seem to be justified at this point.

I wish you the best of luck with yours. Let us know how it flies.

Jim
Old 03-04-2007, 09:03 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Aw JRF, Look's like I'm in no danger of losing my title of ''Most Stupid Buyer of an over-seas ARf''. It would be to your advantage to be patient and wait for it to get here. I'm the Nit-Wit that thought the Harmon Rocket ARF from H-9 would never be distributed here in the states [ from what I was told by H-9 ] and went ahead and ordered it from the UK. Three weeks later I found out I was the proud owner of an ARF I paid twice as much for. I was so enraged I took it out on a poor fire hydrant out in front of my house and nearly tore it out of the ground. [:@] Anyway,...... just wait, It'll be here. MM
Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM
orygg

I got 1 in norway coll plane,gone use 2 irvin 40 2stroke,retraks not so god plastic fantastic,it is werry easy to bullding ARF.[sm=49_49.gif]