Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

twinstar and rf g2

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default twinstar and rf g2

Hi,
Has anyone flown the twinstar that is in rf g2? If you have how close to the real thing is it?I have been flying twins since 1970 r/c since 1973 and have just gotten a twinstar and noticed it was one of the planes in the g2 library and have been practicing flying that with one engine out to get ready for this flying season.we got a foot of snow last night.Anyway I have not been using speakers so that I am trying to tell by the reaction of the plane when an engine is out.so far I find that it flies on one engine it is hard to tell that it is unless you are going vertical, and the climb rate is reduced.on landing approaches more throttle is required to set the sink rate and the wing with the dead engine drops a bit and the plane wants to turn in that direction but I did not experience that awful engine out roll that I was expecting when an engine died.Is this what I am to expect in real life or is it hooey.one thing on the sim that is not in real life is the wind I have it set at 10 mpf with gust to 20 mph.there have been times when I land into the wind and after the plane stops it is pushed backward by the wind.that does not happen in real life so I suspect that not all the flight charachteristics are like real life either.from what I can tell the twinstar in g2 is using twin os 40 fp's. do to the small tank size I was considering using 25-28 size engines but I do like the way it handles on the 40's may try to edit the engines to see how it flies on g2 with 25's
Old 03-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: twinstar and rf g2

I have both and the G2 does a surprisingly good representation of the TS... If you get it going too slow on one engine, it will snap.....I found this out on the sim, and had it happen in real life. Thanks to the sim time, I knew exactly what to do....throttle back, dump the nose down to get it flying again, and slowly come up on the power of the good engine and land... I have tiny engines in mine, so as soon as one quits, the speed drops right off... and it does get nasty on one engine.... If you have larger engines and keep the speed up, it will keep on flying normally as you found out.

I found G2 to be excellent practice for the TS and credit it for giving me the skill to avoid a certain stall spin crash......
Old 03-17-2007, 07:38 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have over 100 flights on a Twin Star and the G2 sim is very good, has the same flight envelope and flys almost exactly the same -
Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 PM
aerowoof

ronwc and wayne22,
could you tell me what engines you are using as i was originally thinking 25-28 size but after finding out that the sim is using 40's I am now leaning toward webra 40 blackheads
Old 03-17-2007, 07:54 PM
aerowoof

one more question,ronwc have you been able to take off with just one engine running?I have been able to do it on the sim and I think I have read in one of the other twinstar post that it is capable of that manuever.Thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a TwinStar and it flies very well with two .32s. It is OK on 2 .25s. The problem is it has very small tanks, about 3 1/2 ounce and, short of making longer nacelles, there is no way to get larger ones in. Believe me, people have tried.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:18 PM
aerowoof

well I have alot of pairs of engines to chose from and it has alot to do with the 4 ox tanks the old webra 40 blackheads use about 1/2 oz/min so about 8 min running time.plus they are light and I could move the firewall out for 6 oz tanks as I read in one thread.at the moment I have the following to choose from
k&b sporster 20 and 28
fox 25
os 20 fp or 25 fsr
como 29
os 35 fp
hb 25
webra 6.5[40]
k&b 40
the fox 25's will give about 10 minutes run time and they were my original choice before flying on the sim.I wish I could edit the engines in g2 to apoximate the fox 25's [baffle pistons]
I was not really considering the fp's is the air bleed carb.I prefer the twin needle style or perry for twins.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I went the minimum route....I fell in love with the OS 26 cuz it was (or so I thought......) the smallest 4 stroke made....so I had to have one....then two...... When the twinstar was reintroduced, it was a natural. By current standards it is considered underpowered, but those little guys are swinging 10-6 props and it is a fun flying airplane although you have trade altitude for airspeed and vice versa. My timer is set for 9 minutes, and I have plenty of fuel left at the end of each flight.

I was bored one night, so I put a third engine (25FX) in the nose....now it is an incredible flying airplane!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42424.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	644376  
Old 03-23-2007, 10:09 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

aerowolf,

I have two OS 25FP's on my Twinstar and it is more than enough power. It will (and has) gone vertical without any effort. I will admit that landing requires a slight amount of power. It appears if you throttle back to idle the airplane slows down so much it could stall. But adding a little power is not bad at all. I can't tell you how much I enjoy flying this airplane, and for the price it can't be beat.

Sledge_78