Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

aerotech mosquito

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 01:27 PM
northair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aerotech mosquito

Hi folks,
First time at this forum. Would like to know those who have already flown the aerotech Int'l dh Mosquito.
I'm planning to fly mine this season. The only question is about the C of G on the drawing i.e 8" forward
of F3.
According to my calculation, it would be a bit too forward.
Any answers are welcome.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:05 PM
UK Warbird Guy

Default RE: aerotech mosquito

Hi there,

I have just aquired an Aerotech Mossy from Ebay... will post some pics...I wondered about the CofG as well and opted for a little further forward...didn't have any Plans etc or instructions so went on experience but am worried as they are a very heavy model that I will run out of Elevator on Landing !...

Post some pics lets compare what they look like...

Regards,
Wayne
Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 PM
northair

Interesting to here about other individual looking forward or actually flying aerotech mosquito.

this project is my second multi. Last year I flew my scratch built CC-138 Twin Otter powered with a pair of Saito FA-40.
Logged 135 flights and it performed flawlessly. As far as powerplant goes, reliability of 100%, i.e no engine failure.
I highly recommend those FA-40.
Back to the mosquito, my aerotech will tip the scale at 8.75 lbs., ready to fly. Using the same FA-40 with Graupner 12x5 props.
I read some good comments and advice of other folks especially for the take-off and landing phases. Waiting for the flying season
to start. If anyone's looking for aerotech mosquito plans, let me know. Going back to the C 0f G, the plan locate it at 8" forward of bulkhead F3.
My calculation locate it at 6.75" forward of bulkhead F3
Yes, a little forward C of G is safer.
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
UK Warbird Guy

Hi there, when anyone usually mentions Aerotech people usually say burn it or don't waste the fuel flying it. I'll weigh mine later today and take a few pics....would love to see some plans for this baby as I have ni Idea where F6 or F3 is ?

There are two OS LA46's in mine but one isn't happy so may change to something else if I can get a pair from somewhere.

Would be good to share info on this ie have you got retracts in yours etc? Thinking of chopping the nose off and putting Glass nose on mine. Did it come with Exhaust stack as I havn't got any for mine.

Hope you don't mind the questions...

Will post pics late
Regards,
Wayne
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
northair

hello wayne,

On the aerotech dwg, F3 is the bulkhead of the fuselage where the trailing edge of the wing center section meet.
My model will have fixed gears, engines installed sideways. I added extra wing's spar between outboard and inner panels.
The kit had exhaust stack deflectors but I didn't install them. I wanted to keep this plane as simple as I could i.e :engines,
fuel tanks, gears configuration. Reliable engines and overall simplicity in the design has always been successfull for me.
I won't be able to send images or pictures for a while but any exchange of info is always welcome.
Also, because this type of airplane will fly at a higher RPM in every phase of flight, I displaced the firewalls about 3/16"
forward to allow more space in the nacelle so the fuel cells will be completely surronded with foam.
This to avoid any foaming in the fuel that can cause a lean mixture and its consequences, i.e: take-off & climb.
I modified the plastic radiators @(I/B leading edges) supplied in the kit. Instead I built the rads as the original
had, Open at the front with a piece of mesh (from door screen) and a gap at the lower aft end.
This to minimize the disturbance of the relative airflow around the wing's center section.
I used the existing ABS radome and engine's cowl as plugs to built new one with fiberglass cloth and epoxy
resin.
All the best in your multi-engines project.
Charles
Old 04-07-2007, 05:41 PM
cabbie101

ORIGINAL: northair

If anyone's looking for aerotech mosquito plans, let me know.
ive been looking for ages [sm=49_49.gif]
sent you a PM
Old 05-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Jetjockey_3
My Feedback: (8)

Hi I have assembled and built an Aerotech Int'l Mossie and if was a very nice, fast and stable plane to fly. The takeoffs are very smooth once you learn to control the torque. I had a couple of Saito 56 4 strokes in it at first then I switched to a couple of YS 45's. She flew beautifully with both engine configurations. The CG outlined in the plans is the setting I have used and they were fine. One thing to remember with this plane is KEEP THE SPEED UP! Because of the massive taper in the wing she will snap if you get too slow. I lost mine due to radio failure. I have a faulty Tx and I watched my Mossie fly away (straight and level) until she was a tiny speck then it snapped in and was a total write off. I have retired the Tx. (That is another story).
Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
northair

Already 3 session (10 flights) at the field since the maiden flight of my aerotech mosquito. I am very pleased with the aircraft.
The saito FA-40 with graupner 12x5 provides sufficient power. I'll try Zinger 11x6 (wide-blade) in the future. The take -off roll, rotation and flight characteristics proves to be stable all around. I noticed also that I have to fly the A/C in with good speed until touch down so to avoid tip stalls. The C of G is just a bit aft compare to the one specified on the plans. It's configured with fixed gears and painted per the full scale Mosquito fighter (HR 147) flown by a Canadian aircrew in WW11. Gross weight turn a bit heavier at 9.5 lbs.

Prior to first flight, I made sure the engine's carbs. were operating equally, rechecked the propellers and spinners for proper balancing.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:42 AM
T.W.

Can someone point me at a web-page showing Aerotech's Mosquito kit please? I found an Aerotech website, but there's no mention of the Mozzie - is it still available?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:58 AM
UK Warbird Guy

How did you find the Aerotec Website, they went bust about a year ago....whats the link?...

Pics guys anyone got a pic of their models?

I intend to do some today and post them later... Also have you guys installed retracts? If so any details would be appreciated as the ones that are in mine have a bent leg to allow for the CofG but in doing this won't retract all the way into the wells??

Speak to you lot later

Wayne
Old 07-05-2007, 08:08 AM
T.W.

http://www.aerotechmodels.com/
Old 07-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Jetjockey_3
My Feedback: (8)

T.W.

The link you posted is for a different company. Wayne Siewart (sp?) owns and runs Aerotech Models. Very nice well detailed warbirds. However, the Mossie was produced by Aerotech International from the UK.

Hope this helps,
Old 08-16-2007, 01:27 PM
sven_9t9

Hi all
I'm new to the world of mossies and would like a balsa /ply kit or plans for a 80"ish wingspan mossie but i'm having difficulty find a good one or set.
If anyone can point me in the right direction i'd be grateful. PM or email me would be fine.

many thanks
steve
Old 08-23-2007, 05:43 AM
jamie_duff

Brian Taylor's plans.

71" FB.VI or 81" PR.XVI

I'll make a bold claim that they are the best Mosquito plans around...

He lives in Somerset and advertises in magazines. I believe Unitracts have his address and can supply you with Bob Holman's cut parts if you want them. Brian will sell you the plans, spinners, canopy (and glass nose for the PR.XVI), cowlings and u/c doors.

I think Unitracts have his address and phone number on their website IIRC? Oh and Unitracts make the scale retracts for the BT Mossies too.

Can't go wrong with that
Old 05-03-2009, 02:25 AM
pshel176

Hi all you mossie lovers out there. I am also a fan, and have just completed an Aerotech Mossie. I have fitted RCV 58's as i think they will sound as good as it gets, so far i have only been running in the engines and yesterday i had one short taxi run. she seemed to go OK and i felt that had i opened up the throtal she would have been up and away. i have fitted spring air retracts as i feel planes fly better without the drag of the wheel. 10X7.5" three blade props and balanced her as per plan. 8" forward of the precribed former. don't knoe how you guy's have managed 8 1/2 - 9 lbs all up weight. because to get mine ballanced it took it up to 11 1/4 lbs. Makes me think something or someone is wrong somwhere as the old flair or CM Pro model which is vertually same size is advertised at 11 1/2. "Maiden flight will decied whats right or wrong".
For anyone interested there is some pics on my clubs web site. www.dallachy-aeromodellers.org.uk
the colour scheme come from a particular plane that was stationed at my local war time costal command base at Banff.
Fingers Crossed as the maiden is going to be today weather permitting.