Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Dual Electrics on One Controller

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Dual Electrics on One Controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:38 AM
dougiegraves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Electrics on One Controller

I'm builiding a Hobby-Lobby P-38 Profile Twin Electric Airplane using 2 Esskay Brushless Outrunner Motors (cheap). My questions is, can these 2 small motors be run off one ESC & one lipo battery?

Thx's for your help......Doug
Old 04-06-2007, 11:22 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Dual Electrics on One Controller

As far as I can tell, answers to the question about running more than one brushless motor on one ESC tend to be along the lines "no - probably not - maybe". A brushless motor is stupid. The electronics in the ESC must sense the position of the motor and and deliver the AC pulses at perfect timing.

Brushed motors ... sure you can, no problem.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dual Electrics on One Controller

Doug, Like Perttime said, it's a yes and no answer, a lot depends on the quality of the esc, and the motors.
Some of the Castles will in fact run a twin brushless system. Umm, motors need to be matched as closely as possible, some of the Chinese versions don't often have the same kv rating they are supposed to, or advertised as having, and often two identical motors will be way off kv wise. This can lead to all kinds of fun things.

As for the pack, yep you can run 2 motors off one pack. I have a B25 and 3 or 4 P38s that are set up like that. Just remember a brushless motor pulls the same amount of amps no matter where the throttle is at. It's just how long the the motor sees power that controls the speed. A brushless esc is a basic on/off switch, how long it stays on determines speed, unlike a brushed set up where it's like opening and closing a faucet.
Folks get fooled when using a meter on the system, by seeing lower amp draw at lower throttle positions. A meter averages the readings so the only one to use is the amp reading you get at wide open throttle.