Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Twinstar .36 just built

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twinstar .36 just built

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 AM
jdunehew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twinstar .36 just built

Just finished building my twinstar tonight. Here are some pictures of it

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27809.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	672416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25419.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	672417  
Old 04-26-2007, 03:13 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Twinstar .36 just built

Looks good.

I'm on my third one, the first had OS 40 FP engines mounted sideways, the second had T.T. 36's sideways and my present one has Axi 28-20/10 brushless motors.

I wish they would come out with a 120 size T-Star.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:44 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint some clear on the edges of all the trim. It has a bad habit of peeling off, starting with the red.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Are those TT .36 engines? Thats the setup I use on mine. A little warning, the airframe wont hold up long if you fly it like you stole it. I loved taking mine down the runway almost to the end then pull verticle, out of sight. For awhile, it was the fastest plane at the field. After a couple seasons like that I took it down to recover it. It literally flew the covering right off it. Found a bunch of stress cracks in the wing center section sheeting, along the firewalls and the aileron torque rods were wallowing out the holes in the ailerons. I re-epoxied the firewalls and installed more triangle braces, installed dual aileron servos and made the ailerons 2" wide, and glassed the wing center section out to the nacells. What a plane, the engines are worn out now so it sits waiting for a better covering job and new engines.
Edwin
Old 04-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Capt. Crackup

jdunehew
You are going to like the Twinstar. I have been flying mine for a while now. I have had about 7 or 8 engine outs and it is flyable. I run OS FX 25s on mine. They are a great combination. I also use flaperons which the Twinstar really likes on landing. Good luck.
Skip D
Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 AM
jdunehew

What are flaperons. I can guess WHAT they are from context, but can you explain how to get them?

Old 04-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Capt. Crackup

Flaperons are when the ailerons are dropped like flaps. Actually you mix your aileron and flap channels. usally ch 1 and 6. Like flaps they enhance lift and help stabilize the aircraft at slow speeds. Unlike flaps, if you drop them to far, you will loose aileron effectiveness (?) On the Twinstar they only drop about 1/8-3/16 of an inch. But they allow for a flatter glide and slower touchdown. Although the twinstar will take off in half a heartbeat with flaperons deployed, I don't use them on takeoff. With multi engine models, I like to have plenty of speed before taking off and if you have alot of speed the flaperons will cause your plane to take off at a hi angle of attack, which in my opinion is a no no on multis. If you plan to use flaperons you will have to run twin aileron servos. Also I have found that they work best when you use differential on your ailerons. I also discovered that with twin engine aircraft, the flaperon trim is MUCH MORE SENSITIVE than single engine aircraft. So once you have them hooked up, you deploy them up high at low speed, and use your ATV on ch 1 and 6 to trim them. If you decide to use them let me know and I'll share my setup with you. Perhaps even some pics. Good luck.
Skip D
Old 04-27-2007, 03:30 PM
jdunehew

Could you post or email me your pictures of it? I'm not sure I really understand how it works. It's exactly what I thought they were but I don't think I fully understand it
Old 04-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Ed_Moorman

Flaperons are a combination of ailerons and flaps. the ailerons on the plane move in different direction for roll control, but they also move in the same direction for flaps or spoilers. You do need dual aileron servos and a computer radio.

Generally, you go into your System Set-up menu and set a FLAPERON Wing Type. Then you can adjust each control as needed.

In addition to giving you flaps on a plane that doesn't have separate flaps, you also can individually adjust each aileron for centering and movement. I set a FLAPERON Wing Type on nearly every plane just for this reason alone.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:22 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ED,
must disagree with the statement that a computer radio is required for flaperons.I have been using flaperons in a scratchbuilt twin since 1974.kraft had an elevon mixer that fit on kps-12 servos that would work as flaperons also.flap action was controlled off one of the porportional channels of my 7z.full flaps engines at half throttle the descent was steep and slow almost like an elevator,roll out was about 15 feet after touchdown.used about 5 degrees on take off just as a safety factor.may have been more of a mental safety factor than a real but works for me