Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Maybe a first - for a twin... check out this video

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Maybe a first - for a twin... check out this video

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:40 PM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe a first - for a twin... check out this video

Guys,

Check out this video... awesome in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zokn8UD7EqY

I haven't seen or heard about this with a twin before. I only wish WR could have seen this.

Thanks to the author!!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
anonymouse

Default RE: Maybe a first - for a twin... check out this video

Well.........[&o]
Old 05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Well, I must be in the minority here. I personally thought the engines sounded great, but the flying was less than impressive. If I wanted to hover I would break out my heli.

I too have a twinsync but I prefer scale flying to 3D. I guess I am starting to show my age. Oh well, we all enjoy this hobby in different ways.

Mike
Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would that not be possible without TwinSync?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:54 AM
yl5295

The reason it is hard otherwise is because the response times and thrust of the engines was alway different enough that they could never get it close enough to keep the airplane straight and level.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:58 AM
yl5295

Ukerduke,

How about a compromize and let's get someone to build a V22 Osprey? That sounds perfect for you. A couple of gyros and a twinsync and we are almost there.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:21 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

With the engines that close to center, I'm sure the Twinsinc is not really doing that much. If I see the engines out on the wings, and it still enables it to hover, then I'll be impressed.

Bob
Old 05-25-2007, 11:03 AM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

This hovering, while not my thing, is a combination of constant engine corrections. That is sloppy at best for twins as the engines NEVER respond the same. Then you have your hands full to maintain the hover in an upright manner. Note closely, in the video, the propellors and how close the engines are together due to frame rate of the video.
This plane was not made to hover but is a fun fly. It, with the same pilot bascially could not hover without the twin sync. Now, the idea of the Osprey....I had not considered .but you just may have hit on something!!!
Twinman
Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 AM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

YL-

hhhhhmmm an Osprey, maybe in the 8-10 ft wingspan. Now thats a challenge. Where would I ever get the props for a thing this size?

Please dont get me side-tracked, I'm almost ready to maiden my Hawkeye.[&:] (twinsync installed)

Mike
Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 AM
twinman

Naw on the Osprey http://www.totel.ru/~TRAMP/bv/bvp170.html ...now that is one more idea!!
Tee Hee. Ok ok..I need a nap,,but with the engines together and almost failsafe..Hummm!!! Wonder if Bill will build one for my current project....later!!!
Twinman
Old 05-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: yl5295

The reason it is hard otherwise is because the response times and thrust of the engines was alway different enough that they could never get it close enough to keep the airplane straight and level.
Okay, thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Bill D

Hi Bill.yl5295
Bill I plan to install magmets in the prop hub for my TWINSYNC. dO YOU KNOW OF A COMPANY WHO MAKES A PULLER TO remove the hubs?.
Thamks Bill [email protected]
Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Bill D

Hi Bill.yl5295
Bill I plan to install magmets in the prop hub for my TWINSYNC. dO YOU KNOW OF A COMPANY WHO MAKES A PULLER TO remove the hubs?.
Thamks Bill [email protected]
Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess this just is more evidence of the variety of interests in this hobby. One thing I like about it. Personally, I break out my Yak or similar for such flying and reserve twins with all their added expense and complexity for more scale-like aircraft like the P-38 I'm working on now. I can positively say, it will NEVER hover (intensionally anyway). But, to each his own.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:25 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I'm confused. I hear a single engine rising and falling in rpm, and at the same time I hear one or both of the engines of the twin at a very steady rpm that does not seem to relate very well to what the airplane is doing. Is there a single engine running off camera?

Jim
Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 AM
2engsout

Hi Guys, I just saw the vidio , and as a twin sync beta tester,,lets use this vidio as a perfect teaching example,,,If your engines sound like these do,,,,first confirm that you have a smooth transistion from idle to full throttle with NO flat spots or 4 stroking rich spots with each engine running seperatly,,,then, you need to go to posistion #4 on the rotory switch, turn the power on, and confirm the throttle servo speed setting by reading the red and yellow LED's that are illuminated on the twin sync unit,,, Look at the chart in the manual to confirm the current speed setting....Now set the servo speed one setting faster by pressing the button according to the chart and fly it again...The engines should sync quicker now than they did before...Now repeat the procedure and go one more setting faster and fly it again. The sync should be within 1/2 second to perfect sync. Continue this procedure untill the throttles start to ossolate as they overun the target RPM,,,then simply backoff one speed slower,,this will optimise the servo speed settings for any engines you are using. The factory default is posistion #4. George , try this and let us know if there was an "speed to sync" improvement. The glow motors are "instant sync" when changing throttle settings on the glow engine test I have done. Take care guys...... Rick Simmons