Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

After 3 years flying twins, my first twin crash...

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

After 3 years flying twins, my first twin crash...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 3 years flying twins, my first twin crash...

I re-kitted my Duellist this past weekend. This is the one with the Jett rear exhaust engines and pipes that I got flying a few weeks ago. It was probably the best handling sport airplane of any style that I have ever flown, and as a bonus it was capable of truly amazing speeds- so it is a real loss. The good news is that the wreckage in big pieces so it looks like it will be much easier to repair the plane than build a new one. My Jett-Duellist will not make it to MOM as planned, but it should fly again later this year!

The cause- pilot error, as in I didn't following my own personal twin flying rules! [&o]

So, here is what happened, and a lesson for those just getting into twins-

We lost our home club field a couple of months ago so I joined another club located about an hour away. A nice field with a big runway and good approaches, but I am still getting used to it. There was a direct cross wind but it was only blowing 5-10 so no problem.

The first flight went great. I had the engines synched nicely and the flutter problem was resolved, so I wowed the crowd with 100+ MPH passes, crisp rolls, verticle pulls, etc. The Duellist really flew great. First landing, no problem. I set it down easily.

Then I flew my P-61. Again, a great flight with a perfect landing. And I had the crowd at the "new" field going. They clapped after the landing.

Back to the Duellist and another show-off flight. Then its time to land... set up for a short approach, gliding straight down the runway, trim the throttles back, it passes me at 10', still gliding, still gliding, oops it will be off in the weeds shortly after touchdown, better go back around.... WRONG!!! When I realized the left engine was out I was already out of room. I babied it up almost to the level of the approaching small trees before it stalled and went down.

Lesson- with twins I never decide to go back around once the plane has passed me on landing- ESPECIALLY if I have already trimmed the throttles back! If it looks long then I cut the engines completely to help slow the plane down and ride it on in. I have no idea what I was thinking... oh yeah I didn't want the crowd to see me run it off into the weeds...

The moral of the story is that a little humble pie is much better than eating crow.

For those that didn't see the earlier thread here is a pic before the crash. Stay tuned and I'll post a pic of the resurrected bird later on in the year.

Walt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74475.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	702221  
Old 06-11-2007, 08:34 PM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: After 3 years flying twins, my first twin crash...

Sorry to hear about the "learning opportunity", but thanks for the feedback. Flying model planes can be a humbling experience, especially with twins. Personally I think you just flew into a "gravity storm"...they come out of nowhere! Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:45 PM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Hey, I can feel your pain with dealing with a tough lesson. I too just crashed my baby. Good news is, I will rebuild.

Sorry for your loss.

Keep 'em flying!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28670.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	702284  
Old 06-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, Walt. I just planted one of mine. I was checking out my T-Raider, the twin fuselage Sky Raider, getting it ready for a third trip to Multis-Over-McDonough, when the left wing folded and broke off. I throttled back, but the fall was too great. One of the OS .46AXs was destroyed. The other seems OK.

I still have several twins and I'll be at M-O-M again this year.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Well at least I am in good company.

I don't consider myself a very talented pilot, but I rarely crash. Its been 2+ years since the last time any of my planes went in hard and that was due to radio failure. The Duellist was a real tease since I only got a few really good flights in with it. And it promised to be a favorite. And I was really looking forward to bringing it to MOM. And the crash had nothing to do with the plane's performance or reliability.

I still have the 'Widow and the Twin-Air. Ed, I'm looking forward to meeting up with you again in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully the Duellist will be back in action and it will make it to next year's MOM meet.

Walt
Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Show off!!!!...Congratulations ,but sorry.
Twinman
Old 06-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Now Twinman I would have thought that this would have been an opportunity for you to go into your standard dissertation about why flying twins was insanity...

Of course most of us that frequent this forum LIKE insanity

Walt
Old 06-15-2007, 07:38 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

Build-n-flyer-RCU ,

I gotta tell ya, Twinman knows what he's talking about, we are only insane if we don't enjoy the twin experience. I mean that knot in your stomach right after take off, the weakness in the knees all through the flight. Besides, those feelings happen every flight. But then there's also the thrill of success, the distinct twin sound, and the other fliers all thinking " I wish I could fly that twin. Then there's the wise guy that says fling a single engine plane is tougher. Next time you have an engine out , let him land it! We know how easy that is. Hey, only us twin fliers will admit those "Depends" really work! I have thoroughly enjoyed flying my Twinstar and looking forward to my Nitro Models Cessna 310. I've always been a kit builder but wanted to learn twin flying without spending so much time building and then learning to fly twins. However, my next project is an "Art Johnson" P-38 that I have the short kit and plans for. Same size as the Cessna 310 but a little more complxity in flying. If anyone has built his P-38 and has a description of the build for the turbo chargers I would appreciate hearing from you. There is no details for this on the plans.

Sledge_78
Old 06-16-2007, 10:37 AM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

A big Thank You Walt for sharing so much about your experiences with this Duellist. It has inspired me to build a Duellist MkII of my own. Crashes happen in this hobby - especially when flying bottle rockets with wings! I am encouraged by your prognosis and look forward to a speedy recovery. I hope the original paint can be matched. Mike.