Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Saving Resident B-25J WWII Bomber "Heavenly BODY"

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Saving Resident B-25J WWII Bomber "Heavenly BODY"

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:54 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saving Resident B-25J WWII Bomber "Heavenly BODY"

Saving Resident Propeller Airplanes and the B-25J WWII Bomber "Heavenly Body" of the Van Nuys Airport, CA

- Sign the Petition http://www.petitiononline.com/N8195H/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles World Airports
Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) policies are forcing rent increases that only corporate jets, increasingly can afford.

The historic WWII North American Aviation B-25J Mitchell Bomber "Heavenly Body" faces eviction from the Van Nuys Airport (VNY) in Van Nuys, California as well as the smaller propeller-driven, general aviation aircraft based at VNY, which LAWA controls.

Private pilots who can’t afford the increases will have to seek space at more remote airports; yet alternative airstrips such as Camarillo (CMA) and Lancaster (WJF) are too far and already crowded.

For its all-volunteer crew, distance is a major issue for the B-25, since they work on her maintenance nearly seven days a week. Incidentally, the other Whiteman Airport (WHP) is not an option for the B-25 because its runway is too short and Burbank Airport (BUR) is a commercial airport and is limited for General Aviation use.

In particular, "Heavenly Body" has been at VNY since 1972. During the last 35 years, "Heavenly Body" has not only developed into a recognized historical icon at the various air shows and events it travels to throughout the year, but has also evolved as a classroom to connect present generations to our common history of this country’s past. It is of value to the community. VNY is its home.

The Van Nuys Airport is, and has always been, an airport to serve the general aviation public, regardless of the size of aircraft -- from big-business jets to small propeller planes.

VNY is owned by the city of Los Angeles, which makes it a taxpayer-supported airport. This should at a minimum, give all aircraft owners that use VNY and at its utmost, residents of Los Angeles a voice concerning its future use.

Please sign our petition to help save our resident propeller planes at Van Nuys Airport, and to support the continued well-being of our precious historical asset, this vintage restored WWII B-25J Bomber, "Heavenly Body".

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

PLEASE SIGN:
http://www.petitiononline.com/N8195H/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Saving Resident Propeller Airplanes and the B-25J WWII Bomber "Heavenly Body" of the Van Nuys Airport, CA Petition to City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles World Airports was created by and written by Douglas Aiken ([email protected]). This petition is hosted here at www.PetitionOnline.com as a public service. There is no endorsement of this petition, express or implied, by Artifice, Inc. or our sponsors. For technical support please use our simple Petition Help form.

JUST WANTED EVERYONE WHO LOVES THIS BIRD and other like it to sign the petition...

I DID TODAY!!

-CHEERS!

TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS/KMP/RCV ENGINE DEALER
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
Old 06-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Default RE: Saving Resident B-25J WWII Bomber "Heavenly BODY"

Me too!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:41 AM
Pilot44
My Feedback: (20)

Signed, done.

Jim
Old 06-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not exactly being evicted. But outside parking is less desirable:

http://www.aero-news.net/news/featur...0bf7&Dynamic=1
Old 06-13-2007, 11:52 AM
gregandhollie

signed it. this also just happened in kansas. boeing kicked out the b-29 restoration project that they have already displaced to new hangers twice. they kicked them outside. i saw a picture of it- it looked like it was crying. now they need a $3 mil hanger to keep all their anti corrosion work from going backwards, let alone finish the restoration.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

I was born and grew up in the San Fernando valley. Van Nuys Airport had so many neat things going on. I took my flight training at Van Nuys Airport. I worked there. I went to A&P school there. This is not just about the warbirds! all the planes for the average Joe are vanishing from the airport. more and more bussiness and private jets are pushing the private general aviation away to a small corner of the airport. it will be like a leper colony. how can you change "progress"? money makes things happen, and the Biz jets have it.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:46 PM
nemesis4u

Not exactly being evicted. But outside parking is less desirable:

http://www.aero-news.net/news/featur...0bf7&Dynamic=1

Feature Stories

'Heavenly Body' May Soon Be Out In The Cold
Thu, 31 May '07

Lack Of Funds + Rising Hangar Costs = No Hangar
Heavenly Body, a B-25 bomber well known in California's San Fernando Valley, is facing eviction [sm=cry_smile.gif] from Van Nuys Airport... all in the name of progress.

It is like telling someone they have to move out of their Garage Apartment... But they can sleep outside Year round!!!!!!!!!!! Not getting any shelter from the elements year round.....

NOT VERY GOOD ON THE AIRFRAME....especially a rare WWII piece!!

Not arguing ... just saying THIS SUCKS!!!!!![:@] I wish them luck .... Too bad.....

PLEASE....EVERYONE sign the petition!! AND PASS / SPREAD THE WORD!!!

CHEERS!!

-TOMAS
www.vqwarbirds.com

-TOMAS
Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well okay, but lets show both sides of the article in the interest of accuracy:

Diane Sanchez, Van Nuys Airport spokeswoman said officials are taking steps to temporarily relocate the B-25 as well as other propeller airplane tenants to a tie-down area outside until a future Propeller Park is built -- several years from now, according to the LA Daily News.

The hangar, owned by Mark Sullivan of Skytrails Aviation, has rented Pupich his current hangar at a reduced rate of $850 a month. But that hangar is scheduled to be demolished to make way for more space to accommodate corporate aircraft.

Sullivan said building another hangar for Heavenly Body is out of the question due to cost, but he has done everything he can to find a suitable tie-down area.

"There's a place for Mike's plane on the ground outside," said Sullivan. "In a nutshell, we're here to accommodate these guys; we're not telling them to leave the airport."

"Outside would be an option," Pupich said, "but it would be a slow death of the airplane."

"I wouldn't say that they are being kicked out (of the airport)," Sanchez said. "You can't fault Mr. Sullivan for upgrading his facility."
I see this plane and many others fly over my house all the time. I am 100% for keeping the warbirds at VNY and all. But if someone can't pay the bills, the lights go off.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 PM
nemesis4u

TOM K,

Cool...... 6 one way ... half a dozen the other.... Many ways to skin a cat......

BACK ON SUBJECT....LETS KEEP SIGNING PETITIONS!!!

Save a NEST!!!!!!

-Cheers!!

-TOMAS
www.vqwarbirds.com
Old 06-17-2007, 10:39 PM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm number 825 so far on this drive.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Fili