Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Gyro questions:

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Holeshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro questions:

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone can answer a couple of Qs...

*) Can a person use a gyro and a Futaba PAL at the same time?
(use the tx mix or hard wired?)

*) Can a gyro be mixed in to run only when the gear or flaps are down? (use the tx mix or hard wired?)

Thanx......Dave
Old 03-05-2003, 01:24 AM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Default gyros

Have no information about the Futaba Pal.
As for the mix to turn on the gyro with gear, I have never done it,but see no reason as to why not.......just make sure you have a gyro that has the external channel input for sensitivity control...not all do for single axis control. The Hobbico Mulitpurpose would fall in that description.
It would be easy to do this with a mix and set the end points. Hard wired.....as long as the end points for your gear or flaps match the requirements of the gyro, it should work. Many gyros, the extra lead is connected to a separate channel of on off or high and low. Suggest review instruction manual for individual gyro and or talk to tech support.
One thought about the flaps and a mix. One usually has partial flaps for take off and full for landing. This would result in partial sensitivity at partial flaps and full or too much at full flaps. It would take some experimenting to hard wire this. Electronic mix would not be so difficult as the end point for the gyro can be set.
Good Luck
Old 03-06-2003, 06:44 PM
mulligan

Default Gyro questions:

On your first question, theoretically it can be done because:

The PAL uses external input (horizon reference) to create automatic commands to control surfaces.

A gyro provides negative feedback to changes in attitude that are not caused by stick input. , so...

If the PAL is connected to the receiver and the gyro is connected to the output of the PAL, the gyro will pass through the stick commands it receives (either generated by the pilot or the PAL), but with no inputs will provide the negative feedback to maintain attitude.

That said, this is a redundant setup, because although the gyro may react a little faster to rotational accelerations, the change in the plane's attitude is going to cause the PAL to create signals to return to straight and level. In the worst case, you will have the gyro AND PAL creating a negative feedback signal that MAY be an over correction and result in oscillations.

It's an interesting experiment, but I would suggest that you be able to disable the gyro with a mix just in case.

- George
Old 04-21-2003, 01:03 PM
roadtrip

Default gyros

Anybody have any experience with the FMA CO-Pilot?(www.fmadirect.com).
Old 04-22-2003, 01:18 PM
El Ladrillo

Default Gyro questions:

hi roadtryp: I have one, and its great. for many years I have try to flying alone, and have rebuilt my plane for 5 or 6 times , no problem with these but it take a way from fly , no with the co pilot is fantastic, U must only folow the instructions an it's WORK , I'm very hapy a make these purchase (119$) but is good stuff, know i'm ready to put it into my second plane ( a piper cub 2mts.) and I very shure it will give the security to fly and bring it to land safely. at the time is comming thet I can fly securly whitout help.I hope these will help U , if u have some questioins i'n here.