Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Kit Bashed Thunder Tigre Twin Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Kit Bashed Thunder Tigre Twin Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:13 AM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit Bashed Thunder Tigre Twin Trainer

Our modest modeler (roofus4...Opps..stupid computer!!) strikes again, with the prototype of this twin kit bashes..I thought I would share this one too.
Drug the story out of him here too.

Just for fun I thought I'd send some pics of my Quad's older sister, my Twin. It is a Thunder Tiger World Trainer 40. A 40 size trainer with 2 OS 91FX's. More power than the Quad on a smaller plane. This is the plane that I worked out my rudder system on. It has the same landing gear as the Quad because when I was looking for a gear system for the Quad, I thought it would solve the problems I was having with the twins gear. So the landing gear is new.

Thought others would like to see something unique and different. Personally have not seen this one, but is good for the imagination.
Twinman

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99923.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	724646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10574.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	724647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76369.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	724648  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ax72759.jpg (69.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: Kit Bashed Thunder Tigre Twin Trainer

I bet you those rubber bands on the wing really like those two OS .91's pulling like a bull...you would think "Wing Bolts" would be employed considering all of the great work the guy has done...!!! Great bird though as well as the 4-engine one...!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 05:38 PM
twinman

You know, I thought about that too..but consider this...On a single engine plane, all the weight and stress is on those rubber bands..on a multi,,the weight and stress really is in the wing, so MUCH less stress on the wing to fuse connections..even during violent manuvers.
Just a thought..but it is still alive after around 4 years he tells me...so what do I know.
Twinman
Old 07-17-2007, 07:02 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the rubber bands hold the fuse to the wing, not the wing to the fuse.... Less mass in the fuse his way. Did you see my four engine version?
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 AM
twinman

Hey Evan..Can you repost your picture..Cannot get it to enlarge??
You thougth no one would notice..Four engines are good!!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:00 PM
roofus4

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for the kind comments about my plane. Special thanks to you, Twinman. I thought I would explain a little about my twin. The plane is actually about 8 yrs old. Twinman is right. As far as the rubber bands go, the wing is really just pulling the fuse along for the ride. The fuse is relatively light. I do have some blocks on the underside of the wing that slide inside the wing saddle to keep the wing from becoming misaligned. I think that wing bolts are much better, but at the time I was building it, my skills were very primitive, and I didn't have the knowhow to fit it with wing bolts. The twin was an experiment. I didn't even know if it would fly. It has some bad engineering aspects that I made sure to change on my Quad. The nacelles on the twin are, get this, 1/4 inch ply. Very heavy! Back then I just didn't know how much was too much. Also, a little side note, I started with 2 61FX's and then found out the 91's are the same size and weight.

Rob
Old 07-18-2007, 08:07 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have better pics at home but I'm in Seattle for the next few days.... sorry
Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 PM
twinman

roofus4 ..We are humbled..Great Job
evan-RCU..I hate it when the job that pays for the hobby gets in the way...7 years platinum Continental Airlines.