Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Engine choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:50 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine choice

I want to get into twins. I am thinking of starting with a Hobbico Twinstar and after getting some experience moving on to a Toflight DC-3. I want to use the same engines. Would a pair of Thunder Tiger Pro 36 engines be a good choice? I want to keep the cost down but not compromise engine reliability.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine choice

My buddy and I (he is 85 and now just builds and I fly) are on our 24th twin. We have tried various engines to date and, although they run perfectly well in our single engine planes, they tend to not be reliable in twins. Just about all our twins now have OS engines in them. I have yanked GMS, Thunder Tiger and Magnum engines for OS in several twins (.25FX, .46AX, .65LA). They are more expensive, but to me as the pilot, I am more than willing to spend the extra amount for the reliability.

OS .25LAs are good for basic flying. OS .32FXs will give more speed. OS .40LAs will also be powerful and probably the best choice. As I recall, the tanks are only 3.5 ounces and there is no way to install larger ones.

I do have a TwinStar. It does fly like a trainer and will do basic aerobatics. The control surfaces are fairly small. The most disagreeable thing about the plane is the covering. First the trim peels off, then the rest of the covering starts. I ironed during construction and I ironed after flights to no avail. I finally recovered the outer wings and installed larger ailerons. The nacelles are now peeling. I have it on floats with GMS .32s which, on a rare occasion, will give me a flight where I can land with both engines running.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Thunder Tiger Pro 36 engines are a nice choice for the Twinstar...
And yes, they will work fine on a TF DC3...
The Thunder Tiger Pro 36 engines are pretty reliable just remember to keep any needle
adjustment to a min. One or two clicks,, try it to see if more or less needed.. Then adjust
again if needed..

And if you want, I have a TF DC3 that I am never going to finish I would let go reasonable..

Robby
Old 08-12-2007, 07:25 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the responses. I would certainly be open to using 40LAs instead of the Pro 36 engines. I was thinking the Pro 36 would be more reliable. I had a 40LA in my trainer years ago and had problems with it. But if you all are having good results with 40LAs then I will try them again.

Robby, I'm not quite ready to purchase the DC-3 but I'll keep you in mind when the time comes.

Thanks