Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

B17 Kit using .25 sized engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

B17 Kit using .25 sized engines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:16 PM
foosball_movie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B17 Kit using .25 sized engines?

Cool. I didn't know there was Mulit-Engine forum on RCU. I flew a TwinStar over the weekend and loved it. Now I'm trying to find a 4 -engine kit. I have 3 OS .25 engines and would like a kit that uses the same sized engines. I found a Royal B17 that uses .25's, but apparently the kit is now longer available. Any other kits out there? It doesn't have to be a B17.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: B17 Kit using .25 sized engines?

Jack Stanford made a B24 Liberator. A new company took them over. I can't remember their name. A guy by the name of Randy did a build in this fourm. Try a search in this fourm for B24 Liberator. Rich
Old 08-27-2007, 02:25 PM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foos,

If you are going to go multi...may I suggest that you perhaps consider starting with a twin. Two engines are a lot of fun....four sounds like a big bite to chew if you don't have multi experience.

Bo
Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wing Manufacturing may still have a B-17 available.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM
foosball_movie

Thanks R8893

Wing Manufacturing is a fantastic kit site. I recently purchased a P39 at a swap meet and they even have a kit for it! And yes, they do have a B17:

[link=http://www.wingmfg.com/Pages/WingB17.html]see it here[/link]

If you are going to go multi...may I suggest that you perhaps consider starting with a twin.
I purchased a TwinStar at a swap meet and flew here over the weekend. It has two OS .25 LA's and they sung. That's a great plane. Flew like my Hobbistar trainer.

But how much different can 4 engines be compared to 2 engines? What are some of the issues? I imagine I'll have some time to practice with my TwinStar, because that kit looks like it would take a while.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:10 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few differences,mostly engine starting procedures and the fact that there is a prop sponning next to you.and some are staggered.on my b-24 the inner engines are in front of the rear engines.start each one set it and kill it,refuel all of them then I start the iutside engines first then the inners.when you loose an engine not much happens other than the plane slows down a bit.luckily I have not lost 2 on the same side .I used a dubro kwik clip for the glow plug connection so I could stay away from props.in most cases 4 engine planes are scale and are heavier and have a higher wing loading than what you are flying now we are talking over 30 oz/sq ft closer to 40 oz/sq ft.because they are scale they are more complex and cost more.If you want a multi engined sport model for four .25 get a 90-120 size plane like a sportster or 4* and add 4 nacelles and point the nose.should fly easier than a scale ship.right know fly the twinstar and see what happens when you loose an engine,then see if you weant to continue.You say you have 3 .25.how about a tri motor,rcm plans has a ju-52s that is foe 3 .20 size engines and would not be difficult to build.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM
foosball_movie

Yes, a junker would be great too.

Thanks aerowoof.

So the RCM plans wouldn't be a kit? Just the plans? I've put together a couple of kits, but I don't have the tools to scratch build, plus it would be a little time intensive for me. It there is a junker kit out there, it would be a perfect upgrade.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:54 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

New to the forum?? Welcome to Twin Sanity...or in your case four sanity.
Four engines are a pain, but you asked. Here is an arf that you can customize to your hearts happiness.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42...%2CB-17/tm.htm
Good Luck
twinman