Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Bolt on twin nacelles?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Bolt on twin nacelles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 07:21 PM
teufelhund
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt on twin nacelles?

Hello All, This is my first post in this forum as I am going to attempt my first twin. I have researched these threads and found that you can bolt on wing nacelles to an airframe originally designed as a single engine aircraft. Mr. Buckner's nacelle design really makes me wonder how far you can go. I have two OS .91 FXs' that I plan on installing in a single engine aircraft design. I have looked over all the photos I can find of this design and I can't see how exactly they are attached to the wing. He says he used two 1/4 wing bolts to hold the nacelles on. What are they attached to? How is this attached to the wing? How do they adjust for different thrust angles? I know he has a proven design in his approach and I like the idea. I just can't figure out how to do it on a wing thats already built. Any other ideas are welcome also, as of right now I just have a built up wing from a set of plans. Just be sure to include lots of photos! Thank you in advance for any help in this matter. Ben
Old 10-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Bolt on twin nacelles?

Ben To install bolt on necessels you would have to cut into the wing and add support blocks, like 1/4 ply. I have converted several planes to twins. To me it is easer to cut the wing at the wing ribs and glue your necessels sides to the ribs. You may have to make a new rib in the wing if the spacing doesent come out right.
You will need an incidence meter to set up your motor and firewall, it isn't hard to do. sorry no pictures. Rich
Old 10-07-2007, 06:11 PM
teufelhund

Thanks for the reply Rich. I didn't know if you would actually go the full length of the space between the ribs with 1/4 ply or not. It would seem to be the strongest way to bolt on the nacelles though. When you cut into the leading edge rib space, you then add the 1/4 ply to the front of the wing spar. Correct? Thanks again! Ben
Old 10-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Ben that is correct. I try not to cut the leading edge if at all possible. Do you have a pic of your bolt on necessels? Rich
Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 AM
teufelhund

Hi Rich, Sorry, I haven't built the nacelles yet because I was trying to gather information for mounting and as you very well know they go hand in hand. I will post pics when it starts coming together though. Ben