Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

HELP AND TIPS WITH C 160

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

HELP AND TIPS WITH C 160

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 02:01 AM
ALO 111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP AND TIPS WITH C 160

I HAVE RESTORED A CMP C 160 THAT WAS LYING AROUND IN A FRIENDS GARAGE.
DONT KNOW IF IT HAS FLOWN BEFORE. I HAVE RECOVERED IT AND SPRAYED IT CAMO AMD SHE IS ALMOST READY TO FLY.
SHE IS FITTED WITH 2X LA 40,S. APPARENTLY FOR RELYABILTY.
ANY SUGGESTIONS AND TIPS LIKE CONTROL THROWS AND CG AS I HAVE NO PLANS.
ANY HELP WILL BE WELCOME AS THIS IS MY FIRST TWIN.
WILL POST SOME PICS SOON(I AM RATHER HAPPY WITH HOW SHE TURNED OUT)
Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM
waldo

Default RE: HELP AND TIPS WITH C 160

Hi, If you go back some time on this forum you'll find plenty of comment on this plane. I have one which flies on OS 25LAs with absolutely no problem. I would think that your 40 LAs are too much power. Also if scale flight is important to you the lighter the better. You will enjoy the model, takeoffs and landings can be very realistic.

Details from my instruction sheet; COG- 62 -68mm from leading edge
Aileron 15 - 20 mm
Elevator 15 -20 mm
Rudder 30 -35mm

In reality the elevator and aileron will probably be best at the lower setting. After some flights I moved my COG marginally back from the 68 mm point with no ill effects.
I have only tuned the engines by ear, as attempting to sync them on a tacho can be frustrating to get right througout the rev range. I tune by ear at full throttle and then fly. You will be able to throttle well back after takeoff and for most of the flight my 25s are only at half throttle. Find out what your maximum fuel time in minutes is and plan to be back on the ground with a minute to spare. I have never had an engine cut on the Transall. Good luck with it.

Waldo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84624.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	793621  
Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 AM
ALO 111

THANX FOR THE ADVICE, THEY SURE ARE GOOD LOOKING.
I FLEW A LOT OF HOURS TO AND FROM THE BORDER WAR WHEN I WAS IN THE S.A. AIRFORCE THEY ARE GREAT A/C
I BOUGHT THE PLANE FITTED WITH THESE MOTORS THEY ARE BRAND NEW. I UNDERSTAND THEY FITTED THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT HEAVIER BUT ARE A BIT MORE RELYABLE.
I PLAN TO FLY IT SCALE SO WILL PUT SOME 3 BLADE PROPS ON WITH A SLOW PITCH ( CANT GET FOUR BLADES HERE)
AND FLY AT LOW THROTTLE.
DONT YOU FIND IT YAWS WITH THE ENGINES NOT IN SYNC?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:55 AM
waldo

Tuning by ear for full throttle I find gives me sync for take off which sounds lovely. If one engine comes up slightly slower than the other during the throttle up it is quiet controlabe on the noewheel/rudder. Once throttled back in the air the model just grooves around at about half throttle. Once you are completely happy with your throttle response low fly bys are great. I've even done a few touch and goes. When throttling up from a low fly by do it slowly to give those carbs a chance.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:35 AM
ALO 111

CANT WAIT TO GET HER FLYING, I RAN THE MOTORS BEFORE I STRIPPED THE PLANE AND DAM THEY DO SOUND NICE.
THINK ITS REALLY GOING TO SOUND NICE WITH THE THREE BLADE PROPS.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 PM
rchotrod

A pair of os25's would be a better choice of engine for this plane, but those 40's are probably going to cause more harm than good. I can take off from grass at 2/3 throttle and cruise at 1/3. The OS25fx's are a ball bearing engine and great quallity and reliable. Not one engine out and aproaching a dozen flights on my 160. And I can fly for a solid 15 min and still have 1/4 to 1/3 fuel left. I am using 9-5 wood props and hand flipping to start. Easy starting engines.

Tuning each engine for best performance is a key to getting this plane reliable. I tuned each of my OS25fx's so I had a reliable idle, without added glow power, and a smooth transition from idle to full throttle. Then I checked and double checked that my throttle linkages were working together as close as I could make them. I set my lowest throttle trim to just close the carb, so I can kill the engines, and made sure that both were fully open at full throttle. Took awhile but it was worth it. My engines seem to be really close throughout the entire throttle range. The more time you spend getting the engines right, the more you will enjoy this plane. I can take off and just ease on the rudder to stay lined up.

Good luck with it and have fun. It is a great flyer if treated well.

See ya,
Rod
Old 11-06-2007, 01:23 AM
ALO 111

THANX, I WILL SPEND TIME ON THE THROTTLE SET UP FOR SURE.
JUST TRYING TO GET MY ULTIMATE FINISHED FIRST,
WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW SHE MAIDENS