Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models 90" P-38 (1/7 scale) with 3 piece wing and more

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Nitro Models 90" P-38 (1/7 scale) with 3 piece wing and more

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:31 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Nitroplanes 90" P-38 (1/7 scale) with 3 piece wing and more

ORIGINAL: mr chuck

I am going to buy a Nitro P38 90''. I was planning on just building it and flying it. No modifications.
Is there anything I need to know that could cause me problems. ( mandatory modifications ) Should I go with OS 55s or 61s.
Is the standard hardware package sufficient? { bigger wheels, stronger push rods, or whatever }
Please give me a little advice.
Chuck
Hello Chuck. If you stay stock, your plane will be under 14lbs I would think. OS 55AX engines should be fine. I have seen them pull a Top Flight 310 at 19lbs like it weighed 10 lbs, and this plane has a big flat bottom wing. As far as hardware, the tires are way too small and look silly. You need at least a 3 3/4 to 4" on the nose and 4 3/4 to 5" on the mains to be close to scale and look correct.

The stock nose gear wire is too short as well. The P-38 should sit nose high on the ground. At our scale, the tail should be just under 3" off the ground at rest, for the correct ground attitude (with scale size tires). Strut covers are a simple thing to add for a better look on the wire gear.

You will need to make some kind of cradle, because with a one piece wing, a lot off stress is put on the tail / boom connection when the wing is removed, and that is the weakest area of the booms. Nitro needs to address this, but they won't.

I replaced all my metal push rods with Precision Nyrod, but it was easy for me because the booms were open on the bottom. I would say what they send will work, unless you dramatically overpower it.

Also, install your engines before the tanks and see where the supply line needs to come out to be in line with your spray bar. I had to raise my tanks 3/4" to get it right (drilled a new hole in the firewall). I added a picture to show what I had to do, but you have plenty of room to work with. I also replaced the EOM tanks with larger ones.

I will edit this reply if I think of anything else. Hope this all make sense and don't be scared. From the feedback, this is a very good flyer and well worth the price, time, and effort.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33129.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	902712  
Old 03-13-2008, 08:16 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gary have you decided to keep this one? you said you might sell.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:03 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: mistermnkim

gary have you decided to keep this one? you said you might sell.
I don't have much that isn't for sale or trade if the deal excites me, but for now, I'd like to make the local circuit with her to show her off this season. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gary, I even thought of cooling. I do still have occational moments of clarity.And yes they are becoming fewer and fewer.
They're gun pods right? Well two holes for the guns and a couple of holes for the shell casing exits should do it.

And YES, you need to fly it first, especially after all the workmanship you've done. I'm still kicking myself for selling mine. Make sure you video it. Would love to see her take wing.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:11 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Gary, I even thought of cooling. I do still have occational moments of clarity.And yes they are becoming fewer and fewer.
They're gun pods right? Well two holes for the guns and a couple of holes for the shell casing exits should do it.

And YES, you need to fly it first, especially after all the workmanship you've done. I'm still kicking myself for selling mine. Make sure you video it. Would love to see her take wing.
Looks like you have covered all the bases. I love it.

Yes, for sure. The flight report will be part of this thread, with pictures and video, in the not too distant future, I hope. I have a new World Models AT6 that is also 1/7 scale. My brother and I plan to maided and then fly these two together the same day. We do formation flying from time to time. How cool would that be!!

Checked again today and my Robart nose gear is STILL on back-order. I could have gotten Sierra Gear by now!!! Just kidding Darrel if you're out there.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 PM
mr chuck

Gary, Thanks for the information. I ordered the P38. I am going to order a pair of OS 55s.
I hope I can count on you for more info as I get into the build.
Thanks again
Chuck

Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: mr chuck

Gary, Thanks for the information. I ordered the P38. I am going to order a pair of OS 55s.
I hope I can count on you for more info as I get into the build.
Thanks again
Chuck

Chuck, I'll be here to help any way I can. There are a few others popping in, that have or have had this plane as well. Lots of good info and help available from them as well.

You'll probably have yours ready to fly before mine. Mine is still a 'nose dragger'. Gear still back ordered.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Glacier Girl

Come on now Gary, it's been like 3 days since you posted anything.

Found a neat site while looking for more info on my SS version.
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/usafserials.html

You can track a tail/serial number . I found the SS, tail # 424649, is actually serial # 24649.
They used the serial number for the tail number. If the serial number was less then 5 digits they used part of the year of mfg to complete it. So in this case, built in 1944, serial # 24649 = tail #424649. And it lists it as the Lockheed modded 8 nose gun Lightning.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:22 PM
ram3500-RCU

Come on now Gary, it's been like 3 days since you posted anything.

Found a neat site while looking for more info on my SS version.
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/usafserials.html

You can track a tail/serial number . I found the SS, tail # 424649, is actually serial # 24649.
They used the serial number for the tail number. If the serial number was less then 5 digits they used part of the year of mfg to complete it. So in this case, built in 1944, serial # 24649 = tail #424649. And it lists it as the Lockheed modded 8 nose gun Lightning.
Sorry guys, been very busy at work with little gas left in the tank when I get home. Still waiting on nose gear. Very disappointing.

I did look at that site and love it. I could spend hours there (and probably will). I did find this B-17G on the site, and was intrigued.

39914 (351st BG) completed 50 missions and used as assembly ship *The Black ****** (it was painted all black). Used 1945 as communication aircraft by 351st BG.Returned to USA Jun 6, 1945. To RFC at Kingman, AZ Nov 9, 1945

If I ever build a B-17 (one of my favorite planes), I think it would be cool to have a black one (I don't ever recall having seen this plane modeled). What a conversation piece, and, it would be nice to honor a plane that was able to complete 50 missions and made it all the way back to the States.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Glacier Girl

Alright now, it's time to get your priorities straight. Tell the boss you have many folks waiting on you to finish up and report on your plane.

If you don't hurry up, I'm going to have mine done first. I did the chrome treatment on it on Sat.

Name:	Pn36369.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	918484  
Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 PM
ram3500-RCU

Sorry folks. I wasn't even able to spend any time on it even over the week end. I have a couple contract RC builds to finish up with my spare time, and try to get some work in on the 38 in between working on them, but it didn't work out. I'm STILL waiting on nose gear from Robart, and am very disappointed in how long that has taken to get that. Although I will work on cockpit parts anyway, i really wanted to have the gear in so as to work around it. I don't want to paint myself in a corner with the gondola. I did get some aluminum oxide color mixed in flat latex at Walmart, for some of the interior parts on the 38 and the giant P-47, and dug my airbrush stuff out because I'm just about ready for some airbrushing on the 38 fuselage now.

GG, your 38 is looking very good. Your right. I'd better get on the stick. Where are you going to get your graphics from? I'm going to either print my own, if I can find some, on water slide (I do this for the small jets I build all the time), or have them made in the correct scale. Here are some I made for a small F-14.

Name:	Vt58623.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	918852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89550.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	918853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79249.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	918854  
Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 PM
TeamMuir1
My Feedback: (-1)

Hello Guys.
I have been reading this Thread...
WOW. what can I say I have ordered my Olive Green P-38 and it is awaiting for me to START on it.
I must say I am Highly impressed on the time and effort put into this BUILD... so much so that I will
ATTEMPT... yes ATTEMPT... to replicate what you have started .
I have aquired 2 BRAND NEW HB 61's and from what I was told by others these motors were POWER houses.
I have also purchased 2 in cowl Mufflers TOP FLIGHT military style.
THANKS SO MUCH for your Thread I will be looking forward to MORE .....
Old 04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
TeamMuir1

I have been studying this THREAD over and over .... lol I really cant wait to tackle my
build... if we are all worried about weight.. why not use some MINI or MICRO servos
for the smaller things... like the throttle and if we use the Air Retracks why not use
mini or micro servos for the actuators...
I think we could definatly save some over all weight using small servos..
and there more profficant now than what they were 5 yrs ago...
WHATCHA think?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:41 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: TeamMuir1

Hello Guys.
I have been reading this Thread...
WOW. what can I say I have ordered my Olive Green P-38 and it is awaiting for me to START on it.
I must say I am Highly impressed on the time and effort put into this BUILD... so much so that I will
ATTEMPT... yes ATTEMPT... to replicate what you have started .
I have aquired 2 BRAND NEW HB 61's and from what I was told by others these motors were POWER houses.
I have also purchased 2 in cowl Mufflers TOP FLIGHT military style.
THANKS SO MUCH for your Thread I will be looking forward to MORE .....
Hello. I sent you a PM with a lot of info in it. Looking forward to seeing your progress as well. Your right about those engines. They are good ones. I would like to see those mufflers when you get that far. Wish I had them on mine. I already had my cowls cut. I may change that later. Given this almost flat bottom wing, I think we will be alright at anything under 19lbs, even with the 61s. I'm shooting for around 17lbs. Ive seen a Top Flight 310 fly like a bat out of h..l at just under 20lbs on a couple OS 55s!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Glacier Girl

Gary, I'm having one of my club buds do the graphics. He's in the business, actually he does full scale. He just finished a couple of the birds used for display on the aircraft carrier Intrepid.

TeamMuir1, welcome to the site, follow Gary's lead, he's done wonders with this bird.
And yes you're right, with the advancement in technology, you can save weight on some of the servos. I used a Hitec 81 for my air retract operation, probably could have gotten away with something as small as a 55.
But what ever you do don't skimp on the nose gear steering servo. Unlike a tail dragger, the nose gear on a P38 takes a pounding, especially on grass. I ran a metal geared Bluebird 160oz version in mine.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 PM
TeamMuir1

Thanks Glacier Girl
Whats your real name..... mine is Ron Muir
I appreciate the warm welcome.
I fortunitly lol have a couple a projects that I have to finish
up..
but in the mean time I get to watch Gary build this thing....the way
it should have came .
I have already purchased 2 HB 61's
2 Top Flight in cowl mufflers
1 inch robart gear door cylinders (3) still need 2 more
I have some NEW Robart air parts Valves
Cool thing about this plane we dont need any Quick disconnects
here... Plumb her and leave her lol....
I honestly cant wait to get started....
I really like the scale pilot too. but I think it will all depend on how much mine
will weigh......
Thanks again GUYS...... I will keep in touch and POST offten. Ron
cans and hoses t fittings,
Old 04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Glacier Girl

Ron, It's Brad Mitchell.

And just from my experience I wouldn't go thumping too hard on the NitroPlanes version.
It is what it is. A bare bones, mod it to your pleasure, P-38 for $250.00
I had both the 90" and the 52" versions. Gave em both away, and bought the VQ 83" version.

For roughly $550.00 more then I paid for the N/P I have had way more things factory induced on it. Like VQ used silicone caulking to adhere the gondola formers to the fiberglass shell. It didn't stick. The formers blew out the first time I operated the nose retract. [:@]

Had to send the gondola back to be replaced. VQ assured me everything else was fine.

Or how bout they neglected to glue in the Fowler flap bellcrank supports, all four.
I spent roughly 2 hours with a syringe trying to reach every joint inside the wing to hopefully glue what they didn't. [:@]

The 90" flies more like a big old trainer, because of it wing design. The VQ being more scale, is a fly it all the way to the ground airplane.

Honestly given my druthers, I should have kept the 90" and invested the money in it.

In some cases more for something doesn't mean it's better. Heck I was going to buy the KMP Tigercat, until I read the horror stories of what's involved in getting it in the air.
A $900.00 ARF, that needs stuff like a $650.00 set of retracts, as the included ones don't work. Or the you need to add 5 POUNDS of nose weight as it's built too tail heavy.
You should read the couple of forums right here on all the misery involved in getting her to fly. Yikes!

Nah, the 90 ain't no beauty queen, but she does fly nice, and she makes a great foundation for building on. Like Gary's doing. Helps if you are as good as Gary is too thou.

Ok off the soap box, sorry Gary. Back to you.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
ram3500-RCU

GG, I really enjoyed that post, as I do all you posts in this and other threads, but this one was full of wisdom. We live in a society that is somewhat conditioned to believe that you 'get what you pay for'. Sometimes you get more than you pay for, and sometimes less. Your post points this out nicely.

When I looked at this P-38, checked its general proportions against a scale, saw the airfoil, and it's stock weight, I saw a plane that had the makings of something much better than it is out of the box, for a modest investment, compared to others of this type in this size. You seem to have reached the same conclusion and that, after having others to compare it to. Valuable experience and feedback, to be sure.

A friend bought an ARF Yellow P-38 for, oh, I think $2600 or close, and is redoing almost everything inside and out, for one reason or another (mostly sub-par workmanship). I shudder to think what he will have in it when the dust settles and it is only 10" larger and weighs almost 20lbs more! Now, I must say here that I love the Yellow bird, and if I have $3000 of disposable income, it would be tempting (they do fly well), but , for now, it will be the more economical version in my fleet.

I have poured over his Yellow and always come away with another ' hey, my P-38 needs that', then go home and figure a way. I have made supercharger intakes out of Estes rocket nose cones. Soon as I get them painted and mounted, I will post pictures. Pretty cool.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I'm still bummin a little about my nose gear and need a boost once in a while. I may have the first P-38 tail dragger.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:06 PM
ram3500-RCU

Quote from GG; "Gary, I'm having one of my club buds do the graphics. He's in the business, actually he does full scale. He just finished a couple of the birds used for display on the aircraft carrier Intrepid."

HOW MUCH, and will you loan him out! All I am looking for is the information on the access panels and the warnings and such, in 1/7 scale. I'll do the rest.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:31 PM
TeamMuir1

I will WANT SOME TOO....lol dont forget me...... lol...
Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 PM
ram3500-RCU

Sorry guys. I played hooky from the shop and went flying for the first time since last October. Brought everything home in one piece.

It was an interesting day. Couldn't get the 3W in my Yak started and found that the silicon boot in the plug cap had cracked and allowed a carbon trail to develop which shorted out the cap. It was running fine on the last flight last year. I couldn't make a field repair, so, she survived her fist outing this year.

Then I turned to my CG Ultimate, sporting a new Saito 180 for this year. Only to realize that I had left my 'nitro' support box at home. A fellow modeler helped with a pump and hot shot and we were off for my first flight of the new year with shaking thumbs, knees, and a plane with a new, way oversize engine and a new JR9303 radio not yet fully dialed in. Well, not quite yet. I found I had reversed the ailerons somehow, a mistake that would have been the end for this plane on my first flight this year. Preflight saved it.

WOW!!! I love this plane more than ever with, what is now, truly unlimited power to really turn this plane loose. I'll be toning it down some in my take-off and landing flight mode, but this is going to be fun. I managed a rolling circle, and some other simple aerobatics and made a couple touch and goes to knock the dust off my landing approaches. Here she is after all the excitement was over.

Back to the P-38

Name:	Eb86869.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	923491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25764.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	923492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19500.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	923493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46928.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	923494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67011.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	923495  
Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 PM
TeamMuir1

Awsome Gary..
I have been flying since the First of the YEAR.. we call it the annual FREEZE FLY.
I like the Ultimate... I HAVE ONE TOO>>>
not complete still Covering it.
I will have to get you some pics for you ...
have a good one and take care. Ron
Old 04-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Glacier Girl

Gary, I'll do some more digging for you, one of the sites I stumbled across in the search for the Super Strafer, had I think every bit of all the little details you are looking for.

May take a bit but I'll find it.

Good thing your YAK didn't start, from the picture I think you forgot something in the rush to get it airborne. Wings? LOL
Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 PM
ram3500-RCU

Gary, I'll do some more digging for you, one of the sites I stumbled across in the search for the Super Strafer, had I think every bit of all the little details you are looking for.

May take a bit but I'll find it.

Good thing your YAK didn't start, from the picture I think you forgot something in the rush to get it airborne. Wings? LOL
GG, thanks for checking on that for me. Guess I can quit wondering if anyone would rib me about the Yak.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Glacier Girl

Gary,
You might want to look at this for your info on all the little touches to make your bird complete. It's a P38 manual for sale. 273 pages if I remember correctly. Should have a lot of good info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AAF-WW2-Lockheed...QQcmdZViewItem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.