Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale Bud Nosen 310

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

1/4 scale Bud Nosen 310

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 PM
timstoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale Bud Nosen 310

I have this plane built and hopefully ready for its first flight this spring. How do you think this will fly? any thoughts or opinions welcome.
Set-up:
Tower hobbies glow .75 (wanted to stay inside cowl) weight to hp. due to having a TopFlite Cessna 182 which wieghs 11 pounds RTF and had 1 of these .75 engines onboard which flew it fast and lots of power for 80 inch wing span.
Robarts retract landing gear.
I covered the whole plane with Monokote even the windows.
Weight is 28 to 30 pounds RTF.
This plane is going to fly only scale like (sunday flier) and sound of twins being this is my first twin,have other planes to fly stunts.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 1/4 scale Bud Nosen 310

Timstoro,
My only question: Do you trust the Towerhobbies engines? You doubled the engines and tripled the weight. You might have a very scale flying aircraft or a flying brick.

I wish you the best during the maiden flight, but personally I might rethink the engine selection.

Mike
Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Mooney_driver

I agree with UkerDuker. I would question whether a pair of .75's would have the muscle for that bird. I also have a Nosen 310. Someone else built it for me (and did a great job) but then a let a big hobby shop that used to be in the area cover and paint it for me. To lighten the bird they removed ALL of the Aft bulkheads. For that reason I will probably never fly it since I do not trust the structural integrety (except that some on this list have told me that the bulkheads were only there to give the skin something to form to but my plane weighs close to 50 pounds and has a pair of Quadra's). I never understood how a few ounces would make that much differenc--especially with bigger heavier engines on the other end of the CG that more than made up for the weight savings in the back! I do not have any cowls since I could not find any longer cowls that the Quadras would fit in. Granted, Quadras are overkill but this was built in the late 70's and engines between .90's and Quadras were not very common yet.

The specs listed .60's as the low end engines to use but that thing would be lucky ot get off of the ground in a reasonable distance with 60's and then not fly real well when it did get off of the ground. That is a big plane for a pair of .60's or .75's. If you have the engines it might be worth trying the .75's and find out how it will fly with them but my opinion is that it would be underpowered.

Let us know how it comes out.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:11 PM
timstoro

I thank you for your thoughts. The reason I have a set of Tower hobbies .75 engines is that I had 1 on my Cessna 182 love the way it ran and prefromed thought it was to much for it to scale fly slow and with flaps, so when looking at gas engines HP vs weight for example: 1 at 4.5 lbs same Hp vs my .75 at 2.5 same Hp (yes different RPM's) and only double the wieght between the two planes also looking at flat bottom wings. I hope I'm looking and thinking correctly because I dont want to pile the plane in on its first flight then wounder WHAT IF?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I had one of these as well. The wing has a high lift airfoil. It can handle a little more weight, but why pile it on if you don't have to. I sold mine before flying it. If I had it now, I think I would put a couple OS AX120s in it. They will swing a good size disk and IMO, the AX line is OS top shelf and a perfect mate for multi engine aircraft. A couple AX55s pulls a friends Top Flight 310 at way above scale speed at about 19lbs, and safely landed it when one went lean and quit (his fault, poor tuning)!!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:19 PM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timstoro,

I built my Nosen 310 19 years ago, it's still flying nicely. When I first built mine I had two main concerns with the plane, one was the landing gear and the other was the power department. I opted to go with Robart gear and finally ended up with two O.S. 1.20's on CH Ignition. I had first thought of going with O.S. .90 four strokes, and then decided that the 1.20's would be a better choice. I did have to make four little air scoops to add clearance for the rocker covers, but they don't look that bad. Last year I updated the motors with two new, Saito 1.20's and I'm using MPI onboard glo units. Mine weighs in at 38 pounds and doesn't seem to lack for power or seem that it's overpowered either. Like it was mentioned, good, reliable engines are a MUST for any twin. I would definitely make sure the motors are trustworthy and broke in before flying it. Good luck with the maiden flight, and if you have any pics to share of it, I would enjoy looking at them.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:50 PM
timstoro

Thanks Delray for the info about your plane, One question about yours, How is it finished fiberGlass & painted or Monokoted?
I'm feeling alittle better on the choices I made for this plane. I have been studing the books and specs of engines for days woundering if I should go bigger but that means heavier. The .75 and your 120 have close to the same Hp top end you have more torque. I have these engines runnig very well I has aprox. 50 hours fly time around half throttle or less on one and the other has 6 or more break in tanks. I'll try to get pictures for you. When I go the my work shop I'll load pictures off the computer from there in install them next time I log into this site then I'll try to figure out how in install them. Do you have any pictures of yours?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 AM
DelRay

Timstoro,

I decided to glass and paint mine, figuring a plane of this size would be better suited covered in that manner. Not that a good looking job can't be had with Monokote either, just what I decided to do. Like I mentioned, I do use on-board glo units to keep the fires lit, not that they wouldn't be fine without them, just makes it easier for start ups and it does give me a little peace of mind knowing that there's less chance of a flame out at landing time.
I did buy a built up Nosen 310 several years back, mainly I bought it for the Robart nose gear it had in it along with some other accessories that came with it.It does need some (lots) of T.L.C. if I ever decide to get it into the air. It was covered all in white Monokote and I stripped it all off to get an idea of what was underneath. I'll probably glass and paint this one also eventually.
Yes, I have lots of pictures of mine all the way from the building board to it's present state. I have some more run time to put on the new Saitos before I fly it this season, anxious for the snow to disappear and get to it. I also built aluminum wheels and pneumatic brakes for mine, and built strobe lights into each tip tank nose. Looking forward to seeing some pics of yours, I'll glady post some of mine but didn't want to hijack your thread. Jim
Old 03-13-2008, 05:01 PM
timstoro

I have some pictures but how do you installed them on one of these replies?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:35 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

DelRay & timstoro , I would love to see any pics either of you have . Please post them or email them to me.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM
DelRay

Timstoro,

When you open the reply box, notice in the bottom, left hand corner where it says "click here to upload images and files". Click on that and it will let you browze your computer areas where you have your pics stored. Select a pic and click ok. It might take longer if you're on dial-up, but it will tell you after the pic file is successfully uploaded. I usually upload one picture at a time even though you can select several at one time. You won't see the pics until the post is finished and entered. I usually type my text explanations first then upload my pics to the reply.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 PM
timstoro

Well hopefully this works. I see where I was having trouble I was useing the fast reply it does't have that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79007.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	902647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65329.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	902648  
Old 03-13-2008, 05:59 PM
DelRay

Timstoro,

Hey, that looks very nice, thanks for posting the pics. I really enjoy sharing and receiving pics, especially of nice airplanes. Like the ol' saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words", how true. That will look super in the air, I really like your trim scheme and color selection. Mine is white with red trim also.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:11 PM
timstoro

Thanks, This was one way I figured on saving #'s My next project is going to be glassed and painted. Thats why I'm asking all the questions about how everyone else has done there plane or telling me their opinions of what I should do with mine before the maiden flight. Also any pictures would be nice to see.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

timstoro,
Thats a very nice 310 . I have one partialy started but is on hold . I may have a source for a fiberglass fuselage . I'm hoping to save some weight with it.
I should know in about a month on the glass fuse so i can get started again.
Please keep the pics coming guys.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
DelRay

Timstoro,

That's not a bad idea to ask around and get some ideas. My Nosen 310 was my first large scale plane to build, and I really enjoyed the project. One of the first items I checked on was if it was going to fit in my wagon.It just fits with just a little room left over for a few other items. I do have that other Nosen 310 that I bought a few years back, and was thinking maybe of not going quite as fancy with it, but we all know how that goes. A friend that lives 30 miles south of me has several Nosen 310's, maybe he'll see this thread and join in. He brought his military version Nosen 310 to our "warbird" event last year, I was thinking of making my second version similar to his. Here's a few shots of mine. Jim

Name:	Hf98470.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	903047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29255.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	903048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89698.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	903049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90727.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	903050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78396.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	903051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30352.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	903052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27441.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	903053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99535.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	903054  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70299.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	903055  
Old 03-15-2008, 03:24 PM
timstoro

Vevy nice set of pics. Delray.
I was looking threw pics on my computer in the work I'm trying to find the group photo of all 24 planes in one but have not ran across it yet but I will then I will post it in my gallery.
Well back to the shop I'm building a recovered Ultimate bipe that someone threw away, I'm makeing into a 3-d flier.

Is there any else that is looking at this post have any stories or pictures to share?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM
litemasterC

Hi everyone...I used Saito 1.20's on my Cessna 310 as well...good power and reliable...Did some full power ground runs to test landing gear but it did float off the ground once....I needed new underwear...lol...pics included...Anyone interested in buying it locally without engines?????

Name:	Wt59359.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	942194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36873.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	942195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40461.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	942196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30672.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	942197  
Old 05-04-2008, 06:34 AM
DelRay

LitemasterC, thanks for the pics. I can't believe you're already wanting to part with your 310, or is it the fact that it will cost you too much buying new underwear? The Saitos should be plenty of go for it, and I guess you can say that it has flown , sorta, kinda. Just one question, which one would win the drag race, the 310 or the Chevy? What I should ask is which one can actually fly.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:53 PM
litemasterC

Your welcome...[8D]...I was always more of a builder than a flyer...I haven't been doing as much in the hobby lately so I sold alot of my stuff...as far as the drag race, not sure...The Monte is an 82 with an 87 tuned port MFI engine and completely custom suspension....So you could say they both fly..............