Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

buying a twinstar need engine advice

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

buying a twinstar need engine advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:36 PM
dschroeder
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a twinstar need engine advice

I'm ordering a twinstar, and would like some input on engines...I would rather not spend the money for a pair of OS 25FX engines...i was considering these as a possiblility...kinda leaning the OS 25La, magnum or supertiger

OS25LA
Magnum 28
Supertiger 34
GMS 25 or 32
thundertiger GP 28
Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: buying a twinstar need engine advice

Of my .25 powered multi's which includes two twins a quad and and a Six Pack I have been in the process of converting over from prior cheaper engines to new .25FX's, almost there now (with tremendous results in terms of enjoying my flights) with only my latest and uncompleted one to go a scale triple and it will get .25FX's.

The engines that were replaced included Magnum .28's, Magnum .30FS and two were TT 28GP

Sorry not what you wanted to hear but The little FX remains absolutely the best for the application than anything in my opinion and has absolutely the best Throttle response and user friendliness for a multi, and that of course is just my opinion.

Have seen a lot of dispair when folks try to economise on engines, a poor plan with glow powered multi's.

John
Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from OS.25fp to TT.36, and now to OS.40FS 4-strokes. The TT.36 were great fun, but you have to be mindfull of the stresses put on the airframe. It was the fastest plane at the field for about a year. After one season with the TT.36 I had cracks in the both firewal glue joints and stress cracks in the wing sheeting in the center section. I fixed it by glassing with 2 oz cloth out to nacels top and bottom and used triangle stock to reinforce the fire walls. Flew the covering literally off the plane. So I recovered it with solartex. I'm on my third covering job now and will be using ultracoat and putting retracts in the wing, replaceing the last of the plastic with wood block or make my own fiberglass parts. I had to go to dual aileron servoes to cure a flutter problem at high speed.
Edwin
Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
The OS .25 LA's are the ideal engines for that airplane. They are light, throttle extremely well and a dead reliable!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:26 PM
dschroeder

my girl friend just ordered me a pair of the Magnum 28 2-strokes for the airplane...I guess I'm stuck with them....oh well...free is a good price
Old 09-20-2008, 12:42 PM
JohnBuckner

Well you can't knock the price and they will do the job for you. I used mag 28's for a long time on quite a few multi's but next time around you may want to try the FX's in those displacements you will notice a number of advantages.

John
Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 AM
dschroeder

John~

Yeah you're right, can't beat the price...and one hell of a girlfriend to support, let alone fund a hobby. What are the advantages I'm missing by not going OS?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:05 AM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: dschroeder

John~

Yeah you're right, can't beat the price...and one hell of a girlfriend to support, let alone fund a hobby. What are the advantages I'm missing by not going OS?

With the Magnums it seems to be consistancy is what is missing some are good and it seems others less so. While they put out about the same power where they are weak is throttling and consistant response. Its possibly the carbs poor quality control that causes this.

With the four engine airplane and mag 28's considerable time was spent every time getting them just right but not always successful. The FX's are far more carefree in that respect and much time is saved and more flying.

I did at one time with the Quad have one of the mags blow out a large hole in the bottom of the crankcase. For unknown reasons. That was at about 100 flights with that airplane which is now close to 200 flights and I did convert over to FX at about 180 flights. Much happier with them and the flights more enjoyable.

John

Old 09-22-2008, 08:28 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

DS,

I have had my twinstar for two years and many flights. I power it with two os .25FP's. The 25Fp's are very similar to the OS LA engine. Mine flys beautifully with the OS .25fp's and it is fast.The engines are in good shape and very reliable. Although the Twinstar will fly on one engine easily. I had one engine out in the two years of flying this Twinstar. I didn't realize I had lost an engine until I tried to turn into it. It wouldn't turn in that direction, so I turned the other way, held some rudder and landed without stress. I don't know why anyone needs to put bigger or faster engines on the Twinstar because it is fast with the Fp .25's. Besides it has only 4 Oz. tanks Best advice I can give you is to use the La .25's, tune them individually so they run properly. Don't try to tune one to match the other. You increase the risk of engine out if you try to match one to the other. A few hundred RPM difference will not affect flying. Mine sound close but are not exactly synched at all speed ranges. If you really want that effect I would suggest purchasing a "Twinsynch" unit. It might be an over kill on a Twinstar.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Gerry
Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, the twinstar is a great twin trainer. After I re-engined mine I had an engine out right after takeoff, and then had a throttle linkage problem on the other engine. There I am with an engine out and the other stuck at wide open throttle. I just ran the fuel out and landed. That says more about the plane than my flying abilities.
Ediwn
Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Just flew a friends twinstare for the first flight and two 25's looked good to me.
But, I found the ailerons super sensitive, so have your duel rates sit up.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:37 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

MX240,

It has been two years since I first flew the Twinstar but I did have to tone down the ailerons also. Basically I limited the end points and that cured the sensitivity for me. After that nothing more required.

Gerry