RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Seagull's "Dual Ace" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/3664845-seagulls-%22dual-ace%22.html)

moodier 01-16-2006 10:02 AM

RE: Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Whoops!Missed seeing knots post that horizon was going to bring then in.Did quick look nothing on there site yet but will watch!

Kmot 01-16-2006 01:20 PM

:D

Kmot 01-25-2006 11:11 AM

Horizon is listing it now! Due mid February:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...025&tag=aq_art

:D:D:D

paper_hunter_2000 01-25-2006 02:45 PM

Is the Dual Ace equipped with two tanks ?, are they located in each nacelle and how many ounces of fuel do they carry. I have a twinstar equipped with 40LA's, okay plane but 4 ounce fuel tanks behind each engine give it a paltry 5-6 minute flight time.

Thanks in advance,

PH

Kmot 01-25-2006 06:39 PM

Download the manual and see:

http://www.seagullmodels.com/sach/34.pdf

William Robison 01-25-2006 06:47 PM

tHE Dual Ace manual is also on the Horizon site now.

Bill.

PeterC 01-26-2006 12:35 PM

Yes, the Dual Ace has twin tanks and each is around 8-9 oz. They seem plenty big for most flying. The cowl comes off quite easily, although there are a lot of screws, which gives easy access to the tanks and the throttle servos. Mine is nearly finished now. I bent up a new set of main gear and used a nose gear from a wreck. The wire provided seems fairly poor and did'nt fit the cut out in the wing well. These are not serious problems but I had the material so I thought it could be fixed easily. I have two 2-1/2" aluminum spinners on order so they should dress up the front end when they arrive. If I ever tear out the gear I'm going to investigate installing retracts. The plane screams for them. I also installed a piece of Monocote trim film along the top of the side windows to straighten up that line. It gives the plane a much smoother appearance.
Peter

Kmot 01-26-2006 01:34 PM

I also installed a piece of Monocote trim film along the top of the side windows to straighten up that line. It gives the plane a much smoother appearance
Pictures, Peter, pictures!! :D

paper_hunter_2000 01-26-2006 02:58 PM

Thanks gents for the response...I'm ready to spend another 6 Franklins (when it's all said and done) on this bird...Looks like I'll have to wait a month or so...

PH

skycom 01-28-2006 02:43 AM

What other engine combo's are folks using in the Dual Ace. It's designed for 46's so the engine choice is quite wide, but it could even take a couple of 50's or 53's I guess.
Are there any cabin sets which would fit the cockpit on this model. I know Tower do some but I'm not sure on scale/dimensions etc.

PeterC 01-28-2006 10:37 AM

Mine happens to have a pair of Royal 45's. They have proven very reliable over the years I've used them. For props I'm planning on starting with 11 X 6's. I think a three line fuel tank will be necessary with a fuel dot on the filler line.
I still have to take the picture to show the trim line on the side windows but imagine a straight line from the top of the second window on the side going straight back parallel to the cabin roof line. Like a Cessna 310 etc.
Peter

Rcpilot 01-28-2006 02:43 PM

I gotta have it!!

Bigger than a Twinstar and will be a perfect match for my 2 NIB TH .46 engines.

Wish it had retracts.[:o]

Still, it looks 100% better than the Twinstar IMO. Bigger, more wing area, will work on the engines I have, clear windows instead of stupid black covering on the Twinstar (simulated windows) Not bad for the price. I would have easily paid that price instead of the $120 for the Twinstar--had the plane been available last month.

I can't wait. Anyone wanna buy a NIB Twinstar?[sm=lol.gif] I ain't even gonna bother putting it together now.

Kmot 01-28-2006 09:13 PM

Rcpilet: did you read how it resembled a Piper Seneca? Do a google image search for Seneca and check out all the posibble paint schemes!

desmobob 01-29-2006 02:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

I can't wait. Anyone wanna buy a NIB Twinstar?[sm=lol.gif] I ain't even gonna bother putting it together now.
I was about to order a back-up TwinStar to stash in the shop. Looks like I'll be buying the Seagull instead.....

Good flying,
desmobob

Twin_Flyer 01-30-2006 09:04 PM

I am going to the WRAM show at the end of Feb. in NY. I hope Horizon has a booth there (or Seagull) so i can see one up close. If they have them or are taking orders, My name will be on that list!

Bill

Wayne22 02-01-2006 12:12 AM

Rcpilet, why are you bad mouthing the twinstar? For the money it is a pretty darn good flying airplane. For that kinda money you can't buy anything for looks, ...:D.

It's got its niche, and it fills it very well. The Seagull is a different animal. It's been available up here for about a month now..price works out to a little less than $220 US..(or two twinstars :):) )

a65l 02-19-2006 07:39 AM

I happened by the LHS yesterday and got a look at a Dual Ace, not suprisingly it went home with me. I have one unemployed .46 AX so I'm halfway there in the engine department. I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far of teh airplane. I would like to work out some retracts but being as this is my first twin I beleive i'm gonna pass, got enough other stuff to worry about for now. But everything seems to fit very nicely and it seems that seagull has finally figured out how to build soemthing light.

Now, I'll bet I can put some sale PT-6 looking exhausts on the cowls, and figure out some way to do tip tanks.... should be one nice looking airplane.

Andy

Kmot 02-19-2006 01:38 PM

Cool! Horizon still lists as not available till mid March!

Dart373 03-01-2006 02:10 PM

How impossible would it be to put mechanical retracts in this bird?

Dart373 03-01-2006 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: steve2972

Not a bad looking airplane.Its a shame there is no option for retracts though.It looks very simular to my Twin Comanche

Steve
uk

That Comanche is not an arf is it? As for the video... I cant find the link to make it work. Thanks.

tailskid 03-09-2006 02:47 PM

My personal feeling is that the picture on the box top and advertisements were poorly done! They were tooooooooo close to the front end and it makes the tail feathers appear too small!

Looking forward to assembling mine! Have two Evol. .46 for it already....

Jerry

Blindsides 03-11-2006 05:20 PM

I just picked up my new Dual Ace from the hobby store. All I can say is "Pictures Do Not Do This Plane Justice!" You have to see this plane with your own eyes to see how nice it is. I am trying to decide if I am going to put OS .46's on it or go with Saito 56 4-Stroke. Will probably end up going with the OS.

Can not wait to finish it and get to the field!

Blindsides 03-11-2006 10:35 PM

I have a buddy who swears by the Thunder Tiger Pro .40 and .46's. Does anyone have any thoughts on these engines? I was going to get a pair of OS .46's but it looks like the Super Tiger might do just as good as a job and be just as reliable.

Looking for some insight!

tailskid 03-11-2006 11:02 PM

I've only owned one TT .46 Pro and loved it! Very powerful and reliable.

Concerning that 'mishap' a few post back....was there any problem getting the plane to balance at the recommended location?

desmobob 03-12-2006 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Blindsides

I have a buddy who swears by the Thunder Tiger Pro .40 and .46's. Does anyone have any thoughts on these engines? I was going to get a pair of OS .46's but it looks like the Super Tiger might do just as good as a job and be just as reliable.

Looking for some insight!
I would not hesitate for a second to put a pair of Thunder Tiger Pros in a twin. My TT Pro engines are extremely reliable and very user-friendly; perfect for a twin.

As for Super Tigres, my TwinStar is powered by a pair of ST G34 heli engines.

Good flying,
desmobob