RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT ** (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4700596-eletronic-engine-syncronizer-%2A%2Asupport-%2A%2A.html)

jfail1 12-16-2006 03:27 PM

RE: Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

I flew my C-160 with O.S. 32's and the TwinSync this morning. Absolutely flawless, the TwinSync performed perfectly. I had some minor issues with carburation and idle on one engine (nothing to do with the TwinSync) but got them straightend out and all was fine. The .32's/TwinSync synced right up from the getgo. I now have two planes with TwinSync's installed, C-160 and HobbiCo TwinStar with O.S. 25's. The Dual Ace with O.S. .46's is next. Love the product, highly recommended.

Blade47 12-28-2006 03:49 PM

Bill: Has there been anymore flight reports? When will the magazine reviews hit the stand?

yl5295 12-28-2006 04:01 PM

Yes, I have heard from one more person that said it "worked great" - a mag reviewer. I am not exactly sure on the timing of reviews in magazines but I expect no earlier than March or April issues.

bhdutch 01-07-2007 09:28 PM

Bill,

I'm not sure if this has been covered but....

I will be running two twin cylinder engines, two engines, 4 glow plugs.
Can I run each engines glow drivers in parallel to provide glow to both plugs without problems?

Thanks,

Dutch

Acetronics 01-08-2007 05:51 AM

Hi, Bill

First of all ...Wish you a Happy new year !!![8D]

Here is one more reason for an external slave Glow module !!!

Bench testing showed Twinsync works really great ( might be too many options available [:-] ... LOL )

Your processors are really nice chips ... So, I've started learning about them ;)

Once more : Thanks and congratulations !!!

Alain

yl5295 01-08-2007 10:40 AM

Yes you can run the two plugs in parallel on each engine. So two plugs per glow driver circuit. The Transistors are rated at 11AMPS.

Bill

yl5295 01-15-2007 01:00 PM

Guys,

A couple of guys have found a receiver with a minor issue when used with the TwinSync. The Hitec RCD-3500 receiver has a minor issue. If the transmitter is very close to the receiver with the antenna fully extended you can get some glitching. Fix is to put a resistor in the throttle signal lead (orange wire) between the Twinsync and the receiver with a value of 1.5 - 7.5K ohms. Email me if you have this receiver and I will send you a modified cable at no cost.

orcrest 01-15-2007 06:55 PM

Hi

Is there a new manual out yet in PDF for download with the latest firmware changes for 1.4.3?

Cheers

Da Orc

yl5295 01-16-2007 02:22 PM

I can email you the 1.4.4 manual but you need the manual that matches your unit.

orcrest 01-16-2007 05:05 PM

OK

I have the unit from RCS that came with version 1.2 IC. You are sending me out an IC with 1.4.3 I thought (or 1.4.4 if that is the latest version). I've been following the thread but it's confusing keeping up with all the different versions.

Cheers

Da Orc

yl5295 01-16-2007 05:12 PM

No problem. I will inlude the manual with the chip. You really only need to know what version you have and have the matching manual.

Heli-NuBee 01-18-2007 09:41 PM

Hi guys,

I am almost finished with my Nitro Planes P-38 which will be powered by two OS 91 FS engines. I have been flying RC for more than 35 years but this will be my first twin engine plane. Bill Wike's new twin sync device had a lot to do with my decision to now build a twin engine airplane. It seems to me that flying a twin engine plane with this device should be no more risky than flying any good scale single engine aircraft. I believe the new device will bring many more new twin engine flyers to the table because we can have much more confidence that we will be sucessful. Bill's support of the device is also an important part of the sucess formula. He has proven to me just how helpful and suportive he is. I had a problem getting one of my glow drivers to work on my twin sync earlier this week and Bill took the time to try to work through the problem with me on the phone. We could have done a little further testing and checking but I was to chicken to do anything directly on the circuit board. So I returned it to Bill for review and he found the problem and has shipped it back to me already. As he suspected, there was nothing wrong with the device but one of the orange wires was cut or broken about one inch from the end. I have to say that is outstanding service and support and I am so happy to have folks like Bill Wike in out hobby.

Best wishes and good safe flying to all.

Heli-NuBee(Roger)

Pilot44 01-19-2007 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill,

OK, got a KMP B25 on the board, using 2 RVC 91CD's. I need the full house stuff you have. Like our gal in the Dukes of Hazards (Jessica) says. " I totally don't know squat about this stuff. But I wan it."

Will figure it out.

Check out the picture of the Tru-turn hub I will be dealing with and advise as to how to install magnets here. In the center washer or outer hub itself. For some reason your email addy came back as undeliverable.???

I think with the LED display I need to order the sync from you, Glo driver version. Shoot me a PM or mail and we can get it done. Thanks

Jim

yl5295 01-20-2007 09:51 AM

Pilot44,

I got your email and will respond to it. Sorry my inbox was full the reason you got the error message but I still got your email.

For everyone if you do not have spinners or are using prop saftey nuts/hubs there are two options that I recomend:
1. Put an alumium or fiberglass (PCB materal available from Radio Shack) disk behind the prop and mount the included magnet in it.
2. Order from me a pair of diametric magnets ($2.50 per pair). Then you drill a 1/8" hole in the front of the prop hub on the engine parallel with the crankshaft and expoxy them into the prop hub.

I know of people that ground a flat spot on their prop hub and just JB welded the magnets to that. That scares me a little that it could fly off so I don't recomend that. Pressing the magnets into a drilled hole on the prop hub might be ok though.

n9331v 01-20-2007 10:57 AM

Where would someone order the twin sync from and does anyone know if they make one for a gas engine twin??

Web site or phone would be great.

yl5295 01-20-2007 11:52 AM

You can order them from RC Showcase or from me direct. Their web site is http://www.rcshowcase.com or you can email me at [email protected] Please do not send me RCU PMs since I often do not have computer access and I can respond to emails from my PDA.

The Twinsync is programmed for GAS engines as the factory default. The only difference in GAS and glow is the timing/engine response time curves. Using the factory default timing settings work fine on gas or glow. However, if you speed it up a little when used with glow engines it reduces time to sync from about a second to about 1/4-1/2 a second.

n9331v 01-20-2007 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you, just ordered one from rc showcase. Will install it in my KMP B25 with gas G20ei's

Pilot44 01-22-2007 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill,

How do we handle these hubs for magnet placement and sensor placement...?

Acetronics 01-23-2007 04:24 AM

Hi, Pilot 44

Just a question: on which side of the propeller are these hubs placed ??? ... engine side or bolt side ???

Better sight here: http://www.truturn.com/images/TTH-ASSEMBLY-2-002.jpg

Alain

yl5295 01-23-2007 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys,

The sensors will only work about 1/4" away. So you can not mount the magnets in a spinner/hub like this. You need to mount the magnet into the backplate/prop hub on the engine. The way I recomend doing this is with the 1/8" x 1/4" diametric magnets. I attached a drawing to illustrate.

Blade47 01-25-2007 02:29 PM

Has anyone used the unit with a DX7 radio system?

n9331v 01-25-2007 05:47 PM

Just connected the gas twin sync to my B25. Connected up to a DX7 and it seems to work on the bench test as it states in the manual, I have not run it up yet will do that this weekend.

Ed

yl5295 01-25-2007 10:08 PM

The device supports frame rate from 20-400 fps. That is a much wider band than most servos support so I do not expect any issues.

deltatech 01-26-2007 10:03 AM

I purchased the Twin Sync with glow drivers. I would like peoples opinions on what glow driver attachment I should use. I have a Top Flite DC-3 with 2xO.S. 40la engines. I would like to keep the glow plug clip low profile - I was looking on Tower Hobbies where they have lots to choose from, some were very tall some were shorter but still look like they would stick up allot. What companies have reliable vs unreliable clips? Is there a good home grown connection for the glow plug?

Blade47 01-26-2007 11:31 AM

This is what I used on my unit

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EXRA551