RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT ** (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4700596-eletronic-engine-syncronizer-%2A%2Asupport-%2A%2A.html)

Robby 09-02-2006 09:02 AM

Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

This thread is for questions and help of the

Bill Wike eletronic engine syncronizer

known as the TwinSync

currently available from Troybuilt Models

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/WRCTWINSYNC.html

Robby 09-02-2006 09:12 AM

RE: Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

1 Attachment(s)
TwinSync

Introducing Bill Wike's TwinSync.

What could be better than the sound of a well tuned engine running?- Two engines running in SYNC!

The TwinSync Synchronizer allows twin engine airplanes to keep the engines running at the same RPM and produce that unique sound when engines are synchronized in flight. The TwinSync does NOT operate on the MAster/Slave principal and has a very fast reaction time to engine speed changescommanded or otherwiseNO lag in maintaing sync.

Engine RPM information is supplied by easily installed Hall Effect Sensors.

The TwinSync has a unique safety feature that brings the running engine immediately to idle in the event that one engine stops with no change in throttle stick.

This feature prevents loss of control when one engine stops while flying the model. The pilot can regain control of the idling engine by simply moving the throttle stick to idle. Control is then returned to the throttle stick and the pilot has full control.

The TwinSync has another safety feature to kill both engines if the loss of transmitter signal is detected on a FM radio system. This feature operates similar to how PCM transmitters and receivers operate. If a PCM radio is used with the TwinSync it will operate as normal and the TwinSync has no impact on PCM failsafe operation.

The TwinSync has several additional modes of operation adding capabilities beyond just keeping the engines synchronized. These modes are detailed in the TwinSync manual.

Price $119.95

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=215417

yl5295 09-02-2006 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to all of the beta testers... now that it is in production!

I promise to keep the thread interesting and not just support questions. As proof, check out the two photo below. The first is the four engine version in developement now (no that was not Photoshopped).

The second picture is the optional LED display. Some of you wanted an RPM readout and to be able to have all LEDs remotely mounted. So here it is. $35 + $5 shipping. You have to return your unit to have sw and one hardware change added to support it. It connects to the two pin connector on the TwinSync. You also have to run a (any) servo wire or a power lead to the display for power (just red and black). I have a few ready to ship. Even if you don't want to buy one let me know if you would like to have one because I would like to get an idea of how many people are interested in one because I only ordered a few.

How the display works is it alternates showing each engine's RPM for one second. (displays left engine rpm for 1 second then right engine for 1 secs). All the LEDs work the same as the LEDs on the TwinSync.

Let me know guys. Otherwise I will not order any more.

yl5295 09-02-2006 11:35 AM

I thought I would add the link to the original thread discussing the idea, design and development and beta testing of the device since that thread we be moving down the list since it is now closed:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4211050/tm.htm

Blade47 09-03-2006 09:40 AM

I will take one with the LED read out ...can I place the order with RC show case?

yl5295 09-03-2006 11:24 AM

To add the LED readout you have to send the unit back to me. Therefore I will just sell them direct. The price inludes the upgrades to the unit to support the LED readout.

My shiping address is in the instructions. All of the displays I have are already spoken for so I will go ahead and order some more displays and I will be ready to turn them arround by the end of the week.

When you return your unit include $40 ($35 for the display and $5 return shipping).

a1pcfixer 09-03-2006 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: yl5295

The second picture is the optional LED display. Some of you wanted an RPM readout and to be able to have all LEDs remotely mounted.....Even if you don't want to buy one let me know if you would like to have one because I would like to get an idea of how many people are interested in one because I only ordered a few.

Let me know guys. Otherwise I will not order any more.

I'll want to get one. But first want to setup my Twinsync in my TwinStar & test fly a bit, then send it back to you. So, a couple weeks after I get my unit.

Jim

yl5295 09-03-2006 09:39 PM

No problem - and I would do the same... my minimum order is 25 units so I am going to go ahead and place it. Then I will have them.

eagledancer 09-04-2006 08:08 AM

i will also want one in the near future, still waiting on my backordered unit, i expect it in the next day or 2

g_boxwood 09-05-2006 01:58 AM

Wow! I was surfing the web to get an idea of what to place on my 1/12 CL215 and was almost convinced by the EMS unit when fortunately a search in here introduced me to this great unit!

Very nice work, BillW! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Now back to business... I'd like one + display: where can I get it? RCS? Or you directly? Let me know.

yl5295 09-05-2006 06:52 AM

Order from Troybuilt Models. I will discuss with them getting some with the Display.

Darren D. 09-06-2006 07:40 PM

Hi, And thanks for a great product! I ordered my TwinSync from RCS last Friday, unfortunately they sent me a notice of back-order.
Stacey at RCS said the next shipment would be 3 to 4 weeks. They must be selling well. Any chance you're sending more out sooner?
I really would like to have this on my first twin that I'm putting together now. I'm really glad I found you're thread for the TwinSync...

Darren

elmshoot 09-06-2006 10:25 PM

Bill,
I received my unit yesterday. I was concerned about the size since the box was so large. While I work on other projects I have a few questions that I have in the meantime.
I have had success by connecting the Glow plugs in series using a 3V power supply. I run a wire between the engines and connect the positive to one glow plug post and the negative on the other engines glow plug post. Will the twin sync support that system for glow plug ignition?

Can I select the RPM were the GP heat comes on?

Sparky

a1pcfixer 09-07-2006 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: elmshoot

I have had success by connecting the Glow plugs in series using a 3V power supply. I run a wire between the engines and connect the positive to one glow plug post and the negative on the other engines glow plug post. Will the twin sync support that system for glow plug ignition?

Sparky
The instruction state a limit of 2.0v. for each driver.
Also, running 2 glows in series will result in burning one out, then the other, at the worst moment!

Just like you, I too had success with them in series.....however, such WILL fail eventually!!!

Besides that, a 1.2v. NiCad at full charge should be around 1.65v., more than enough for each glow plug. Just run 2 batteries in parallel for longer usage between charges.

Jim L.

yl5295 09-07-2006 04:17 PM

As for RCS's inventory - yes they are selling very well. I will do all that I can to get them more asap but ordering the custom made cables from Korea takes 2+ weeks so I doubt that I can get them out much faster than 3 weeks and I have no inventory left at the moment.

As for the glow plug driver question - No - 2.0 Volts is is the limit. The device supports a battery for each plug or one battery for both plugs. One good nicad or niMh battery will last a long time.

Darren D. 09-07-2006 06:56 PM

yl5295,

Thanks for the reply. I guess the folks at RCS had there wires crossed, My TwinSync was waiting for me when I got home from work today. Looks like a great piece of equipment!

Thanks
Darren

hydeng 09-08-2006 08:20 PM

When do you think the 4 engine version will be available and what do you feel the cost will be. I have just ordered a twin unit to try in my Lightning, but I have a big B17 on the build bench at the moment, and I want to plan the fit-out.

Thanks

yl5295 09-09-2006 06:03 AM

Maybe by the end of the year. I am stopping work on it until someone with a flyable four engine plane steps up to be a beta tester.

pc55bomber 09-09-2006 06:29 AM

Hi Bill

Any idea when the new updated manual will be available. My version is 1.1.0 dated 31st July 2006 (Before the chip upgrade)
RC Showcase web page still has the old version dated 15th July Version 1.0.1.

Great product
Cheers
Paul
Land Downunder

yl5295 09-09-2006 06:46 AM

Send me an email to [email protected] and I will email you the new manual back.

elmshoot 09-09-2006 08:34 AM

I got an updated manual in snail mail this week.
Sparky

Kmot 09-09-2006 11:24 AM

Bill Wike, will you please respond to a PM sent to you on 9/02!

gsmith6879 09-09-2006 12:08 PM

I just checked the RCShowcase website and they list a Version 1.2.0 dated July 31st. http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/acces.../twinsync.html

pc55bomber 09-09-2006 10:55 PM

Thanks for the update.
RCShowcase has some errors in their web page.
In the online store page they still list the old version manual, that is where I looked.
I have notified them of the errors.

The link you quote is the updated version.
Thanks
Paul

a1pcfixer 09-10-2006 11:06 AM

What's the polarity of the wires for the glow plug drivers?

Top of glow plug= +/positive (red)
Bottom of glow plug/ground= -/negative(brown)
Orange/signal wire= not used - or ? another ground for engine?

Jim L.

a1pcfixer 09-10-2006 05:03 PM

My Hobbico TwinStar has throttle linkages that prevent setting end points @100%. It needs reduced E.P. of around 70%
In the process of setting the TwinSync's throttle (selector switch position 5) I've somehow screwed up the synch function.
LED3 now only comes ON near W.O.T. instead of 20% throttle.

How do I reset/restore that?

yl5295 09-10-2006 09:15 PM

Responses:

Glow plug wires are connected the following way:
RED: Glow battery + terminal
ORANGE: Glow plug positive terminal (tip)
Black/Brown: Battery - terminal and Engine case/ground
see manual for one or two battery wiring diagram...

Sync point and end points:
Any airplane can be set up for longer end points (you may need to use a smaller servo arm though). If the servo arm has limited movement then move the throttle pushrod further out on the throttle arm on the carb.

So here is how you reset the position 5 programming:
1. set up plane mechanically to use at least 100/100% end points.
2. Install TwinSync. Power it on with rotary switch in position 5.
3. move the stick to just above idle and press the button closest to the rotary switch (this sets the sync point to that position). I am also assuming that you have a newer version of the software as shipped from RCS and not one of the first field trial units (because early versions of SW did not have a programmable sync point).
4. Then move the throttle to full throttle and hit the button furthest away from the rotary switch. (This programs the full throttle position).
5. move selector switch back to position 0 and cycle power.

After this you should be able to follow the installation instructions with out problems.

Let me know if you need more help.

a1pcfixer 09-11-2006 01:46 AM

Responses:

Glow plug wires are connected the following way:
RED: Glow battery + terminal
ORANGE: Glow plug positive terminal (tip)
Black/Brown: Battery - terminal and Engine case/ground
Might be good to update future manuals with that info.

Sync point and end points:

So here is how you reset the position 5 programming:

Let me know if you need more help.
I'll try to squeeze some time in during this week, and re-work my throttle linkages.
Thank-you for your help!

a1pcfixer 09-13-2006 02:06 AM

The second picture is the optional LED display. Some of you wanted an RPM readout and to be able to have all LEDs remotely mounted. So here it is. $35 + $5 shipping. You have to return your unit to have sw and one hardware change added to support it. It connects to the two pin connector on the TwinSync.
My TwinSync already has the connector for the display (next to the Red LED), and has the newer sw ver. 1.2.0. Would I still need to send mine back to you for mod's to use this remote display?

Reason I ask, is that RC Showcase now lists these displays.

yl5295 09-13-2006 06:15 AM

No units have shipped yet enabled for the display (except one prototype in the field for testing). All units shipping after now will be display enabled. So yes even with the newer software you need to send the unit back to me because it needs a wiring change and a different software load to support the display.

The two pin connector on all Twinsyncs shipped before now are so that you can wire a remote led to indicate glow plug status (i.e. not to run the display).

7capCub 09-14-2006 07:32 PM

Hi Bill,

I received the TWIN SYNC a few days ago. Nice fast shipping. Thanks.

Will the TWIN SYNC work if I'm using a five cell pack. I've not tried it yet, and didn't want to connect it unless I knew for sure it would be O.K.. What is the Vcc ABS MAX of the pic?

Also I could measure this but I was wondering how much current the syncronizer consumes.

I'm having some problems with interference and am in the process of debugging this problem. I've changed the receiver and a new (same ch.) crystal, but no luck so far. Still more work to do. I'm setting this up on a Seagull Dual Ace.

Thanks, Erik

yl5295 09-14-2006 10:05 PM

Voltage is no issue... it will handle up to about 20Volts.

Let's stay in contact on the interference issue because I have seen problems on magneto equiped gas engines with rubber spark boots but never a problem on glow. Do you have a metal push rod connection to a metal throttle arm on the carb? Are you using the onboard glow? If so could vibration be causing a metal to metal contact vibration?

I am increasing the filtering on the device but almost all interfernce problems observed so far with > 50 units in the field have been due to sensor wires being attached to conductive mounts with the engines - a no-no - or with ignition engines. Regardless I think I about have this solved but most test people solved it without my involvement.

This will be the first report of glow interference.

Bill

a1pcfixer 09-15-2006 01:52 AM

ORIGINAL: 7capCub

Also I could measure this but I was wondering how much current the syncronizer consumes.

I'm having some problems with interference and am in the process of debugging this problem.

Erik
Interference.....as in strange glitching of your throttle &/or rudder servo's???

Mine did that when I had the throttle end points less than 100% each way on my transmitter.
Very odd, as NOTHING was connected from TwinSync to my Rudder channel!
Modified my throttle linkages so I have 125% E.P.'s and so far - so good!

Friday/today I test run the engines with the TwinSync & do both range checks.
Then if all's well, Saturday will be the first airborne test!

yl5295 09-15-2006 08:46 AM

As for power consumption of the device it really depends on how many LEDs are on - on average over time. The device pulls about 10ma with no LEDs lit. Each LED draws about 15ma. There are 5 leds (optional 6th for glow plug status). That means with all LEDS on total power consumption is still less than 100ma.

As for observed interference. The gas engine guys have seen erratic throttle servo movement when they were getting interference from the spark plug. This was limited only to the TwinSync and not in servos connected directly to the receiver. In some cases, it reduced the PCM lockout range of the twinsync (not the receiver) from about 75 yards to about 50 yards.

PS The reason you can run the Twinsync on any voltage is that it has on board regulation - i.e. not powered directly from the battery. This also helps isolate noise so that it doesn't get back to the receiver.

drifter 09-15-2006 08:48 AM

Bill,
Is there a LOW voltage limit for the TwinSync? I ask because while setting up a unit on my P-38 the battery voltage dropped. The servos kept responding slowly, but the TwinSync stopped accepting programming changes. All was well after charging the battery.

Drifter

7capCub 09-15-2006 08:57 AM

Hi Bill and a1pcfixer, thanks for the quick response.

Interesting, I'm using aluminum stock 1/2" x 1/8" for the sensor mounts which are bolted to the engine. Sounds like I should change this first. The interference seems to be the worst when both engines are running.

Good news on the 4 vs 5 cell packs, I prefer 5 cells.

I use cable for the throttle with a nylon socket and metal ball on the carb connection.

I don't have batteries connected to the glow portion of the twin sync yet.

The radio is a Futaba 7CAP. I've set the end point throws in the radio for 125% and the cable to horn servo connection is very close to the center to compensate.

I would like to use the 3 position switch as CH7 to control the AUX but I'm not sure how to assign that "G" switch to CH7 in the transmitter. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Erik

yl5295 09-15-2006 09:37 AM

Low voltage limit on the twinsync is 3.8V for normal operation and the device shuts off at about 3.5V.

Do not use conductive sensor mounts (if so do not attach them to the engine) - double no-no

The rest of your install sounds fine.

I don't have a Futaba 7CAP. On a 9CAP it is the AUX-CH memu you use to program switches to channels. (that's a Futaba question not a TwinSync question)

a1pcfixer 09-15-2006 02:01 PM

I don't have a Futaba 7CAP. On a 9CAP it is the AUX-CH memu you use to program switches to channels. (that's a Futaba question not a TwinSync question)
Hey Erik,

Two demerits for you, and you get to stay after class to clean all the erasers & blackboards!:D

a1pcfixer 09-15-2006 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: 7capCub

Hi Bill and a1pcfixer, thanks for the quick response.

The radio is a Futaba 7CAP.
I would like to use the 3 position switch as CH7 to control the AUX but I'm not sure how to assign that "G" switch to CH7 in the transmitter. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Erik
Ch7??? Don't you mean ch5? as in L.G. (gear).

[link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/index.html]Futaba FAQ's[/link]

[link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-7c.html]7C Radio System FAQ[/link]

7capCub 09-15-2006 08:40 PM

Thanks a1pcfixer, I actually found what I was looking for in the menu.... Just not intuitive. Thanks for the links though.

I made up new sensor mounts using 5-ply and the major interference seems to be gone. However, maybe a low battery has confused the twin sync. I need to go through each menu to confirm that each setting is what I expect. The first symptom is the responce time, both engines hunt for sync. They oscillate around the target and eventually get confused enough that one engine will quit.

I need more time to work on this. I've experimented with faster and slower loop speeds, but ended up putting it back to the default.

Thanks for the good support.

More to come, Erik