RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Palmer 132" AC-130 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4820908-palmer-132%22-ac-130-build.html)

UkerDuker 10-02-2006 09:33 PM

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

1 Attachment(s)
I ordered my Palmer 132" C-130 from Precisioncutkits.com last night. I decided to open another post for those of us building the larger scale C-130's. This will be my winter project. I still need to complete my 100" E-2c Hawkeye before starting this plane.

I intend to build mine with all the scale features, including retracts, lighting, working ramp, and some form of drop capabilities. These capabilities will be anything from paratroopers to pallet drops to the deadly "Diasy Cutter" water balloon bomb. I havent decided on the model to build, but I am looking into the AC-130 and KC-130.

Feel free to comment and add your larger build progress to this post. Its always better when we can pool our resources and knowledge during the builds.

I look forward to the new challenges this aircraft will present.

Mike

Rickles56 10-02-2006 11:26 PM

RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

I think the gunship version is the best. I have seen them close up during the later part of the Viet Nam war, they replaced the C-47 in that role of close in troop support. Those planes really packed a punch, even the C-47's but the C130 gunships are still used today and have played a big part in the Iraq wars. They had 4 - 20mm gatling guns and a 2.4" fast fire canon on each side as well as many other "goodies". You can go nuts adding detail to that version but the tail drop stuff would be great for events.

gsmith6879 10-03-2006 12:35 PM

I recieved my plans for the 132" Palmer C-130 late last week. I just ordered the cowling halves from Brad at Stan's Fibertech. I will scratch build everything. I plan on fabricating the landing gear before I start the airframe. It could be a bit complicated. That was a lessons learned on my Bronco landing gear. This will be a late winter and summer project for me since I still have to finish my Palmer OV10 Bronco. There is something really sick about someone who volunteeringly builds two Palmer designs in a row. I'm doing the Bronco in Vietnam era Navy VAL 4 Black Ponies scheme and will probably follow with a Vietnam era C-130. Gunship or cargo will be decided later.

UkerDuker 10-03-2006 07:11 PM

gsmith6879

I looked at Stans Fibertech website. There are 2 C-130's cowls listed. I see the (halves) cowls that you ordered, but is the second one listed also for the 132" C-130? Please post pics of the cowls when you receive them. I'm interested if they are good quality. This is the only place I have found, so far, that sells the larger C-130 engine cowls.

Do you plan on routing the exhaust through the engine cowling to exit at the scale exhaust location? Does the plans show the scale flaps?

I have my plans waiting at home, when I return. I cant wait to start. THis should be a great winter project.

Mike

gsmith6879 10-03-2006 09:38 PM

Call Brad at Stans Fibertech directly on the cowlings. The website listing is not right. Brad knows which one you need. No one else makes the cowl for the Palmer plans. The drawing shows a half cowl or belly pan type of setup for the nacelles. You build the top half of the cowl and nacelle and use the fiberglass part for the lower half. If my experience with the Bronco and Stan's stuff holds, they will fit very well.

I have not decided what to use for power. Palmer specs a MVVS .48 engine that can be rotated to exhuast to the rear (http://mvvs.nl). Using an MVVS mini tuned pipe then you can exit the exhaust in the scale location. I don't think the .48s will handle the real weight of the C130 so I am looking at MVVS .61 with the same setup or RCV .61-SP 4 stroke (http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv60sp.htm). The RCV will fit very well inside the cowl and will let you swing a scale size 4 blade prop. I need to look at sizing and cooling before making a decision. Electrics are still out there but the cost is way to high right now.

Palmer uses Robart Fowler flap hinges (http://www.robart.com/Hinge.aspx) to actuate the flaps to simulate the fowler flaps. Looks like it will work but like most of Palmer's designs the devil is in the detail.

grinder-RCU 10-04-2006 02:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: UkerDuker

I looked at Stans Fibertech website. There are 2 C-130's cowls listed. I see the (halves) cowls that you ordered, but is the second one listed also for the 132" C-130? Please post pics of the cowls when you receive them. I'm interested if they are good quality. This is the only place I have found, so far, that sells the larger C-130 engine cowls.

Mike
Here is a pic of the fiberglass nacelles from Stan's fibertech for the 132" Herc.

Grinder.

grinder-RCU 10-04-2006 02:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: gsmith6879

I have not decided what to use for power. I don't think the .48s will handle the real weight of the C130 so I am looking at MVVS .61 with the same setup or RCV .61-SP 4 stroke (http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv60sp.htm). The RCV will fit very well inside the cowl and will let you swing a scale size 4 blade prop. I need to look at sizing and cooling before making a decision.

I've deceided to go with the RCV 90's for power. I'm having custom made 4 blade props made up for the Herc. The RCV's fit perfectly inside the cowl with only the carb sticking out. The exhaust will be run out through the rear as in the full scale. The props are still being made up. I wanted that wow factor when you walked up to the Herc. Also i did not want to switch from static props to flying props. The RCV 90 has a stump pulling amount of torque.

Grinder.

grinder-RCU 10-04-2006 02:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)

I ordered my Palmer 132" C-130 from Precisioncutkits.com last night.

I look forward to the new challenges this aircraft will present.

Mike
Be prepared for a small forest when you recieve your order. Alas mine too is going to be a winter project as soon as time, money space, girlfriend permit (read take over the basement) for such a large project.

Grinder.

UkerDuker 10-04-2006 06:22 AM

Grinder

THose are really nice props. Have you received them yet? What diameter are the props going to be? I would be interested in buying a set when the time is right.

Mike

gsmith6879 10-04-2006 08:29 AM

Grinder,

Are you developing the props or have you found someone who makes them? I would like to have a set made also.

Gaines

grinder-RCU 10-04-2006 09:02 AM

Grinder

THose are really nice props. Have you received them yet? What diameter are the props going to be? I would be interested in buying a set when the time is right.

Mike
I have not recieved the props yet. It has been almost 3 yrs in the R & D. I beleive he has a set of props made up for destructive testing. A couple of months ago my hard drive crashed and i lost all my email transactions and info. He was even thinking of making them ground adjustable pitch. His main business is making UAV props and military orders. He is making these props on the side for me.

http://www.propellers.us/index.htm

Grinder.

grinder-RCU 10-04-2006 09:05 AM

Grinder

What diameter are the props going to be?

15.5" for now but i would like to get it down to the proper scale of 13" Plus the size of the spinner will have to made smaller to fit the front of the nacelle.

Grinder.

UkerDuker 10-08-2006 11:34 AM

I finally returned home from my trip. I was starting to forget what my workshop looked like. I received my Palmer plans. I love how detailed they are. This is my new motivation to complete my E-2 Hawkeye. I'll be interested to see how detailed the kit I ordered turns out. I should be receiving it this coming week.

Grinder-
You mentioned installing RCV 90SP's. THat would be a great engine for this project, but you will have to move your firewall back. WIll the props have sufficient clearance? WIll these engines interfere with the installation of the fuel tank? I think this is the only real challenge with this aircraft. Everything else seems to be relatively straight forward, except on a much larger scale.

I think I will buy my CA by the quart for this project. Does anyone know where I could purchase CA in this or larger quantity? Two ounce bottles wont cut it for this build.

Mike

grinder-RCU 10-09-2006 01:30 PM

Grinder-
You mentioned installing RCV 90SP's. THat would be a great engine for this project, but you will have to move your firewall back. WIll the props have sufficient clearance? WIll these engines interfere with the installation of the fuel tank? I think this is the only real challenge with this aircraft. Everything else seems to be relatively straight forward, except on a much larger scale.

Mike
Yes the firewall would have to be moved some. I can't think off the top of my head exactly how far but it's do'able. I think 15.75" was the largest you could go for props and miss the fuselage. But they will be cut down to 13" for scale looks. Early on realizing the firewall issue my thoughts were to have one main tank at the CG and four fuel lines one for each engine. But i think i will just go with the smaller tanks in each nacelle.

Grinder.

grinder-RCU 10-09-2006 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got out the plans to refresh my memory.

Palmer calls for

MVVS .94's
Tru turn spinner 2.25"
11x5 3 blade prop.

I'm using

RCV 90's
Tru turn spinner 2.25"
13" 4 blade props. Still in research and development.

With 11"props there is a ton of clearence to the fuselage. I think i got myself confused bewteen my custom 15" props to start experimenting with eventually to become 13". On the full size Herc the props are 13' hence the 1/12 scale of 13". In the pic of the plans he has 15" diameter prop arc's. With 15" prop arcs there is 2 7/8" clearence to the fuse and 1.75" between props.

Grinder.

schwatd 12-18-2006 11:30 AM

Hello All,

I recieved my PCKs Palmer 132.84" C-130 kit on Friday. I had ordered it on Friday night the week before. Since we're starting this from scratch I'll also start my comments from scratch.

PCK: Wow, heavy duty box, looked like it was full of just shreaded paper, but in reality nearly the entire box is full of airplane. The bundles of stringers, LEs, TEs and sheeting are ALL labeled, Bulkheads, ribs and well everything is labeled. As for the quality of the cuts, the edges of the bulkheads and ribs and formers are all crisp and clean. The huge fuse ribs over the cargo ramp anr even seperatly pacaked to protect them. The UPS label noted a weight of 17#, I haven't weighted it yet but I'd bet nearly all of that is wood.

I'll be inventorying the kit against the plans next so that will be my next post.

This will be a fully functional C-130. Just haven't decided on which model series or which service. If Mike is going to make a full Military bird I was thinking of the CG version and maybe even the J series with 6 bladed semitar props.

Troy

ELTIGRE 12-24-2006 06:09 PM

if you decide on a working "ramp" on the c-130, you need a working "door" as well. at least for scale effect .on the full size plane the ramp is nearly useless without the aft door open as well.

ELTIGRE 12-24-2006 06:14 PM

if you build the "J " version you will have to modify the nacelles they are different with a different size /shape oil cooler.

schwatd 12-25-2006 02:11 PM

Hi Gang,

Well, I've been studing the build plans and have put the layout plans on the shelf for a few days. I want to make sure I understand everything Dan is trying to get across in his build instructions. I will be manufacturing several parts out of aluminum or lightweight high strength steel. As these parts are completed I'll let you guys know and I'll post pictures and a link to my store's web site. The J also has the new 2100 turboprops with 6 bladed simitar curve props. As for the ramp and other features I'm looking at how the actual aircraft operates and trying to see if that can be duplicated at a scale size. Retracts and gear doors are the first order of business.

UkerDuker 12-25-2006 03:51 PM

Troy,

Do you plan on getting your gear from Century Jet? I like how the main gear deploy, but I wonder how strong that moving panel will be over time with several landings applied.

I am also wondering how best to build the center fuselage "box". How do you plan on using or creating joints where the balsa pieces arent long enough? Depending how long these pieces must be, I might see if I can purchase that length rather than use multiple pieces.

I plan on building a new work bench with a magnetic top, so I can build with magnets. I need to find a place locally to purchase the steel table top.

Mike

UkerDuker 12-26-2006 12:02 AM

I was wondering if 4 of these would fit on my C-130 project:
http://www.jetcatusa.com/spt5.html

It would make for an awesome machine!

Mike

gsmith6879 12-26-2006 10:28 PM

Hum?

Thrust: 55 lbs with 27" prop at 7,0000 RPM, Weight: 4.9 LB, incl. starter, Length: 15.25 inches.

You might have to enlarge the Palmer Plans.

UkerDuker 12-26-2006 11:43 PM

gsmith- Those engines might be a bit extreme.

FOr those building the 132" version, when constructing the boxed frame, what are the vertical and diagonal braces made of? Are they the same as the upper and lower pieces (1/2 x 1/4)? I'm looking through the small forest of wood supplied by PCK's and the bundle labeled FUSE seems to be enough to build it, but the plans show 1/4 x1/4". The 1/4 square bundle is labeled fuse stringers.

Any ideas here?

Mike

schwatd 12-27-2006 11:38 PM

We need the JetCat HP4s from Germany.

UkerDuker 12-28-2006 10:57 PM

WARNING & ATTENTION!!!

I just finished constructing both side frame truses.

Allow my mistake to aid others in their build. When constructing left and right fuselage truses, the plans calls for the low chord to be 1/4x1/2". If you use this size, the side formers WILL NOT align properly. I will have to shave 1/8" off my lower chord to get the proper alignment. To properly build this, us a 3/8x1/4" for the lower frame chord.

Hope this helps all 132" C-130 builders.

Mike

Pics will be posted this weekend.

pilot727 12-29-2006 08:34 PM

Hey Guy's
I still have the engine covers for the nacelle on the c-160, alreday i have had two guy's that told me they wanted it but no one has sent any money and an address all i want it shipping probably ten dollars would cover it, so i still have them all ready to ship out as i am not going to use them and they have never yet been on a plane just email me and send me the shipping to send it to you and it is yours, i have had two guys claim it but i have waited long, i promise not to keep your money it will be shipped the same day i get the money to ship it with and if it is less then ten dollars your change will be in along with the covers, this is for the c-160 transall, i also have a nice alumianum engine mount for a os-160 and a muffler with the extention i used a pitts and if anyone could use these just drop me a line, i do not want to give them to someone to sell i want to give them to some one that needs them, thanks rollie

UkerDuker 12-29-2006 08:56 PM

Rollie,

I have to ask, what does C-160 engine covers have to do with my C-130 build?

Place them into an ad within the RCU Market. You will probably get more responses.

Mike

pilot727 12-29-2006 09:03 PM

Mike
I am sorry i thought that it was just about c-130 and i though some one there may see and want them, sorry to bother your build site, it wont happen again i though maybe some one reading your build might want them, i didnt mean to upset your building site, i will look for another place to post it, thanks so much for letting me know if was very kind of you.

UkerDuker 12-30-2006 04:26 PM

Rollie / Pilot727,

I dont want to come across as rude, but C-160 parts have nothing to do with a C-130. However, here are many C-160's being built within the twin engine forum. Now if they were able to be fit on my project, then I'm all for it. POST IT!!

The only reason I made my comment was because in the past, I tried to do the same thing you are doing (sell something) and I was told not to do it with this forum. I tried to tell everyone about a pair of .52 4-strokes I had available. I listed them in the RCU market, and sold within a week.

No harm, no foul.[&:]

Mike

pilot727 12-30-2006 05:51 PM

Mike
I am really sorry, i was looking for a 130 or 160 so maybe i had something that may help you or someone building eiher i really did not take the time to see that it was your building site or i never would of done it, i am not selling anything i listed i was giving it away i did not know if it may fit on your c-130 or maybe someone reading your build may have a 160 that may wanted to try a 130 i know that it is a beautiful plane, the parts i had i thought that maybe they may fit your c-130 so i was just trying to be a good person and to give them to anyone that might need them, i should of took the time to look to see that it was your build site but i seen the c-130 and so i went with that and again i am sorry and did not mean to inturupt your site mike, be good, rollie

UkerDuker 12-30-2006 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HOW I SPENT MY CHRISTMAS VACATION.....

pilot727 12-30-2006 06:55 PM

i went flying the other day and took the landing gear off of my plane a giles 202, i sure wished that i could do what you guys can do specially to build a kit from scratch or repair an arf i am just not a carpenter at all and have no idea where to start i wished they held classes on building in the area, rollie

pilot727 12-30-2006 06:58 PM

Mike, that looks really nice and alot of work to even when guys are working on a plane i always like to watch, you have done such a good job and worth your time, rollie

UkerDuker 12-30-2006 07:02 PM

You never quite grasp the size of a project until the fuselage starts coming together. This is going to be a monster!

As for your Giles, just peel back the monocote and see what needs repaired. Its easier than you think. It's ironic that I spend more time building, and rarely seem to get out and fly my projects. Oh well, guess one day I'll have enough planes in my fleet. Till then, I'm going to be a building fool :D

Mike

pilot727 12-30-2006 07:24 PM

There is nothing more exciting to me to watch a builder in aciton, it is a skill, the giles had trouble with the landing gear and my friend fixed it really nice another guy with the same problem took the composite landing gear out and put in a block and put his landing gear on that way and it turned out nice, hey maybe i will take a look, your so right many guys i know that build do more building them flying, but when you do get to fly it is something very special to your heart all that hard work, i will have to check with you mike to see how you are comming with it, how long will it take you to build a plane of that size, rollie

UkerDuker 12-30-2006 09:22 PM

This is the start of my next project, a Palmer plans 132" C-130. The fuselage frames up relatively quick with only a few headaches. As I have found, then plans are acurate only to a point. For anyone building this, plan about three steps ahead to make sure all the subsequent parts will fit. I found out the hard way as I posted a couple days ago. Lucky for me, it was an easy fix.

*****As a reminder, use 1/4x3/8 on the lower fuse box frame, not the 1/4x1/2 the plans call for.*****

Also, at first glance, the PCK package is really nice. As I begin building, it's lacking several parts or they are not the correct size(balsa). For instance, I dont have enough 1/32 sheeting for the fuselage formers 14&15. The diagonal braces included were 1/8x1/4 instead of the 1/4x1/4 the plans call for. I'm sure there will be more, but it definately looks like a difficult plan to cut all the pieces.

As with my Hawkeye build I will document most of my progress. My Hawkeye is currently done and awaiting prime and paint. I will probably wait until it warms up in the spring to paint it.

More to follow...

Mike

schwatd 12-30-2006 10:29 PM

Mike,

Man put the air brakes on brother, I'm still stuck in Fla. I can't even touch the balsa!! I have redesigned the flap hinges though on my cad and think I've got a good grasp of back then down for the fowlers. I'll send you a set to look at and let me know what you think. I aggree about the looking ahead, I've been reading and reading Dan's plans and they make you think. So I will be reading ahead and checking with you on what you've built and where you're at with the process. I am still considering metal inwing tanks.

UkerDuker 12-30-2006 10:42 PM

Troy,

BRAKES???? Oh no, I am enjoying my vacation time wisely. Come early January, I will again be on the road traveling. I have to get as much done now, because my build time will be very limited soon. I wont start on the wing for a couple weeks. So I'll have plenty of time to see your fowler flap ideas. I havent looked yet, but I hope these plans detail the wings WITH wing tubes.

I plan on starting on the rear cargo doors tomorrow. I'm hoping to have all the control arms cutout and drilled tonight. (Arm A, B and C)

Would you be surprised if I told you the pictures are 3 days worth of work? The biggest thing to watch is the positioning of the fuselage side formers. So far everything is square and everything has gone together quite nicely. I started using magnets during my build. I have two large steel sheets under my plans. They are great for holding everything in place as I glue. You just have to watch out not to glue the magnets to the balsa. ;)

I am leaving the gear install alone for now, until I get some more funding to buy the century retracts. Do you have any plans to build your own gear? I was doing some comparisons are my LHS yesterday. I was matching up engines with the firewalls PCK's supplied. If I go with the OS-70FL (all aluminum version) it will be concealed within the cowl. I'm not sure if I will go with scale flyable props on this one like my Hawkeye. I might just go with 2-bladed props and the twin(quad)-sync module.

Mike

UkerDuker 12-31-2006 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more pics be fore I get started working today.

Enjoy...

pilot727 12-31-2006 03:42 PM

Mike
I have to tell you that your build looks really nice, i can tell that you enjoy yourself very much so have a wonderful day, rollie