Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

DVD Review: R/C Skydiving

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

DVD Review: R/C Skydiving

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 08:46 PM
SciFiFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD Review: R/C Skydiving

The "Radio Controlled Skydiving" DVD from Wil Jones is an hour of fun! Taking the highlights from 2 rallies, this video gives you a good idea of what you're in for when you join the sport.

The video doesn't go over the nuts-and-bolts of the skydivers, or the techniques of flying the chute down. This video isn't meant to be instructional, rather it's a couple days in the life of a r/c skydiver. There is one packing demo, and several scenes of loading up the planes so there is some technical stuff to be seen.

For you "dirt divers" there is one fail-to-open scene, proof that even the veterans can "crater". The jumper flies again 2 scenes later! Good to bring a few spare parts. One canopy collision is captured on tape, no one was hurt! Actually the planes had more mishaps than jumpers. Editorial bias, or are those "perfectly good airplanes" less safe than "jumping out of one"??

Overall I got the gist that r/c skydiving is about having a good time in a unique sport. There's a strange attraction to this sport where you can lose any chance of landing on the field as soon as you release, or float around in the sky until you forget there's a target you might want to hit. Sure there are points to be scored to win the competition, but the points-keeping seemed more like a formality in the events. R/C Skydiving will never be as competitive as r/c pattern per se, and shouldn't be.

Technical quality of the universal-coded disc's video is like a home movie, but good editing makes for pleasant viewing of the assembled scenes. The compression could be better, that's the only criticism I have but that takes money and Mr. Jones isn't out to make a living off this. Many screen-filling scenes of the jumpers, you won't see endless footage of vague dots except for the drops at altitude. Good cinematography, well framed for the most part! Not meant for mass market, this disc accomplishes it's goal of making something worth seeing by those who are curious or interested in r/c skydiving. The sport of r/c skydiving is just now getting it's legs, come see what it's about!

Go to www.rcdropzone.com and get your copy, for a small price you get a lot! I purchased mine in December '04 for $10 including mailing, a great deal! Recommended.

John
aka SciFiFlyer
Old 12-14-2004, 07:48 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DVD Review: R/C Skydiving

Glad to see that people can see the facination with R/C Skydiving. I hope this catches on and we can make the sport grow. Once people can see its not all dirtdives and its actually a blast, maybe we can get more people involved. As far as R/C equipment goes , its fairly cheap. Its the Only thing I have seen hit the ground at terminal volecity and be flying 20 minutes later at no expense(or very little)
Old 12-18-2004, 02:36 PM
wjones

John big time thank you! Im happy you like it! I will be coming out with a (How To CD) soon. I Hope to see you at my rally 2005.

thx, Wil
rcdropzone.com
Old 01-01-2005, 07:37 PM
wjones

Hello Underaged Pilot, This is a list of all the place you can go for info on rc skydiving

www.mindspring.com/~sanyo1
www.rcdropzone.com
www.rcskydiveusa.com
www.solomonrc.com
www.rcskydiving.com

Thx, Wil
rcdropzone.com
Old 01-19-2005, 01:19 AM
broodwa

Hi I just want to compliment Wil on his dvd it is as the review states " a hour of fun" I really enjoyed it.

I want to give Wil extra credit for great service as well. I'm from South Africa and the postage for the dvd to my country would have cost me twice as much as the dvd itself. My friend lives in the USA and I asked Wil if he can mail the dvd to him before my friend flies back to South Africa, Wil did everything as requested and with some time to spare, great Job. I can now enjoy what all you guys are doing at these rally's and put some faces to well known names in the forums.

If all goes well with my Skydiver maybe in a year or two we will start to have our own dedicated skydiver rally. Thanks again.

Here's to great hang time under a full canopy and soft, spot on landings in 2005!!
Old 03-20-2005, 05:44 AM
wjones

Yes, The 2nd ANNUAL RIVER CITY R/C SKYDIVING RALLY is a GO July 9,10 2005

DIRECTIONS TO DROPZONE AT: WWW.SIRCM.ORG

EMAIL FOR ENTRY FORM: [email protected]

Entries
1. Paul Reiner
2. Wil Jones
3. Jack Treadman
Old 04-05-2005, 04:49 PM