Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

SkiDoo Snowmobile (let the mods begin)

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

SkiDoo Snowmobile (let the mods begin)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 AM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SkiDoo Snowmobile (let the mods begin)

both of those look great. but i can't get your vids to work on your homepage..
Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 PM
tman52748
My Feedback: (1)

tmahler,

I haven't wired my lights up yet. I was going to plug them into the receiver as well. Do I still need a dropping resistor?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:35 PM
tmahler

Yes, except for the white LED headlights. Use something like a 100 ohm each for the side LEDs and one for the rear taillight LED. Those white LEDs in the headlights must need a lot of current and voltage so they run directly off of the BEC.

Yep I know the vids on my rocket camera writeup don't work, I'll get that fixed! Thanks for looking!

Ted
Old 02-14-2006, 01:47 PM
tmahler

Wow, this thread has really gone cold! I guess everyone either has no snow or too much!

I have mounted a Kodak MC3 camera to my sled. I'll update my website with photos and onboard video soon. Ski trip is about two weeks away. That's when my sled will taste snow for the first time. I also ordered and received a Traxxas high torque steering servo from RC Boyz (on EBAY.) I'll probably replace the standard Futaba servo I am using now. One thing I did like about the Futaba servo is that the mounting brackets had closed mounting holes. This servo, like many others, has mounting holes that are open. I'll have to rethink my tie wrap arrangement.

I also sat a GI Joe on my sled and was surprised to see that he is too small. I was thinking these New Brights were 1/6 scale. But Joe is 1/6 and he just does not look right. What scale are these sleds? Someone bought a rider from EBAY, right? Any ideas where I can get one or what I need to look for? Is there an action figure that is the correct scale? How about ideas on making one? I believe the onboard video will be better looking over the sholder of a rider.

Ted Mahler
Old 02-14-2006, 02:31 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

I'm thinking evil kneivel is the only worthy man to ride these.. lol..
Old 02-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Mr.Sampson

did any of you guys use the stock frame. cuz i saw one guy who went all out on it and built one with an aluminum belly pan and tunnel.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:14 PM
lemutz

I am responding to your pictures of the pocket sled that you said you could only find in China and the UK (that was an old post I ran across). I actually sell them in Illinois so if you want more info, let me know. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:48 PM
tman52748

I have been enjoying my modded new brite skidoo recently. Has anyone else been messing around with theirs?

I'd be interested in these pocket sleds lemutz.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
tmahler

Well I had to replace the motor in mine. Last year I worked so hard to get it ready for my trip Colorado and once there it ran 10 feet and stopped dead. When I returned home to Texas I open the motor and found it had digested a staple! Moral: Keep a clean workplace. Now it is sitting and waiting for this years ski trip. I've posted my New Bright conversion web site before but here it is again: www.tedsrockets.homestead.com Click on the snowmobile.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:51 PM
tman52748

I'm not satisfied with the stock gearbox and new motor/pinion combo so I'm looking for a new gearbox or designing a new belt drive system.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:58 PM
tmahler

Sweet,,, go for it! Post some photos as you go along. I just did the "easy' way so I could get it up and running quicky. I've also heard that pumping too much power into the New Bright starts to bring out the weaknesses in other parts of the system. I guess a full hop-up can "snowball" on you!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:47 AM
lemutz

I'm a little out of my element here, so bear with me... What kind of info are you looking for? They're too new to the U.S. so I've never seen one with mods, all I can give you is factory specs and performance info.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65552.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	573135  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:39 PM
tman52748

Lemutz,

How far are you from Davenport, IA 52806?

Can those pocket sleds be adult riden, can't determine the size from the picture?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 PM
huttcraft

The spec sheet for the Angell (above) show a weight max of 75 kg, about 165 lbs. It also shows a top speed of 25 km/h, or about 15 mph. That's about as fast as a person out for a jog.

Personally the Angell might be a fun toy, but I think your money's better spent on a used conventional sled. Even a 10 year old machine will typically have very low mileage, since snowmobiles are seasonal and recreational. Many only get a few days' use a year. And with almost any sled built since 1990 you'll have no trouble going 100 mph, even if you weigh more than 165 pounds.

My thoughts. Now back to the New Bright rc machine.

I've seen lots of references to modding the track and ski suspension to make them truly functional. I've cut out the faux-limiter straps in the track suspension which seemed to improve it but haven't done anything else. What's next?

Also, has anyone found parts or material that will replace the spindles in the ski assemblies? The entire set-up is extremely flimsy. I'd like to find a way to make the skis behave more like a real sled, turn reasonably well and hold together for a little while.

Dave
Old 12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
tman52748

I'm currently adding oil shocks to my suspension and just recently added a high torque servo to the front steering. Next will be making aluminum parts to beef up the suspension and steering.

Fun project.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:19 AM
chow592

If anyone is interested I have some of these new bright sleds for sale. $55 shipped in the US. My email [email protected]. Thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 03:58 PM
4kidsrc

tmahler: I really enjoyed your mod tutorial. It is excellent work…..elegant in its simplicity. I just bought my son one of these for Christmas. He's only 6 but has 3+ years of R/C'ing. He's into boats (has a Traxxas Blast), cars and trucks (nothing fancy), planes (we have a few) and snowmobile (has a Polaris and soon to have the New Bright Skidoo). He knows what he wants, just like his Dad....speed and control....of a R/C vehicle that is. At some point, we’ll be ready to hop it up. I really would like to execute your hop-up as it seems to be not to excessive making for a reliable R/C vehicle. What motor did you use? What is the model number of the motor? How many turns? I gather you are running 7.2 V battery w/ 6 cell 1500mah? Thank you!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Jordan Krupp

The NewBrite Ski-doo is 1/4 scale in size. The front is rather flimsy, next time You are at your local hobby shop check out K&S brass tubing. This stuff is pretty nice for these mods. All it takes is a couple files, soldering gun & silver solder and you could have a flex free front suspension. Check out my Rev 1/4 scale video, the rear suspension is all K&S.

Jordan
www.rcsnowmobiles.com
Old 12-27-2006, 02:22 AM
mnBmoney

hey yall long time no see! well man where to start ................... maybe some snow! this is horrible!!! !! ! !! i have only about an inch or so of snow in our yard this year and its driving me nuts! then on top of that i get home from work park my car in the garage and what do i see..... my 600 arctic cat lookin at me like what the hell is going on !

hmm oh well so what am i going to do .... looks like im forced to build yet again another newbright! and im almost thinking about doing electric "almost" but i just cant do it not yet anyway annd jordan any chance you could build a guy a one off sled?

i was thinking along the lines of a 2003 arctic cat mountain cat EFI 600 ?
take it easy guys and i hope to see what i can start doing with this other newbright here soon
Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 PM
savage6969

artic cat came out with an m7 and a crossfire and there were on sale for only $40!so we snaged one and they move along but not fast enought. has anyone done any thing with the new artic cat. We get em goin we can beat all those z120's lol.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:36 PM
marvink9x

what kind of set up are you useing size battery speed control and motor do you think a nitro 3.3 would be to much. also did you lower the suspension and change the springs.[X(] ron at [email protected]
Old 01-30-2007, 04:31 AM
fun_machine

i know this this thread is old, but is any body still playing/moding these cuz i just got one. and wanted to go brushless.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM
waldo p

Just dug mine out last week.Did up all the mods last year and had a blast with it,along with a friend and my Brother.Made some banked turns with a shovel and a shop wide shop broom to compensate for the lack of a rider to ballance the sled in a turn.What a blast.We each have different motors and gearing so racing around is quite interesting.My brother's has a 16Turn and is geared for high end.My friend is running a 12 turn and is geared for short tracks and lifting the skis.I'm about in the middle.So with the right size track,it's a toss of the coin as to who ends up in front after 5 ot 6 laps.

Not much snow here in Upstate New York so far this winter,so It's been on the shelf.I installed a Futaba S3003 servo for the steering and Futaba reciever.I have a Novak ESC,forget which one,and a Kyosho 14Turn with a 20 tooth pinion fed by a 2000mah NICD 7 cell.I get about 12 to 15 minutes on this setup,and the battereis are from a racing season with my Sprint Car 6 years ago.I imagine a fresh 3600 minh would give me 20 minutes,which is plenty long enough to stand in one place when it's about 12 degrees out.I also did the shock mod and turnbuckle mod.Will try to get a couple of pics in the next day or so and post them.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:29 PM
chow592

We are supposed to get some snow here in CT tonight. I am going to try and get mine set up with a mamba max 7700kv for tomorrow. Last year I tried a Novak SS5800 but the motor turned the wrong way regardless if I swaped two of the motor wires. I'll report back as to how the mamba works out.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:10 PM
fun_machine

ok thanks, but where you using the stock gearing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.