Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever build a lifting body?

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Anyone ever build a lifting body?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:37 PM
herrera.ec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever build a lifting body?

Hello all, I am not new to aviation, but very new to R/C aviation. I know it's a little over my skill level but I can not stop thinking about building a lifting body like the HL-10 of the 1960's and 70's. Has anyone ever tried anything like it? I know the HL-10 was rocket powered but I'm thinking of a ducted fan propulsion system. Any ideas?

Semper fi,
Eddie

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35333.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	562664  
Old 11-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Thalass

Default RE: Anyone ever build a lifting body?

I've never heard of it myself, but it would be really awsome.

Didn't those lifting bodies have stability problems, though? I seem to recall something about oscilating roll on approach to landing or something. That'd be a challenge if it also occored in your model.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: herrera.ec
Hello all, I am not new to aviation, but very new to R/C aviation. I know it's a little over my skill level but I can not stop thinking about building a lifting body like the HL-10 of the 1960's and 70's. Has anyone ever tried anything like it? I know the HL-10 was rocket powered but I'm thinking of a ducted fan propulsion system. Any ideas?
Semper fi,
Eddie
Within the records of RCU there is a post of a "Space Ship", a lifting body as you have described. I saw the post, I downloaded and looked at the linked video, and observed the "Flash Gordon" appearance.

I suspect you can build one. Someone who has better luck with the search function than myself can probably find the post. After you have been flying a while, you might look back and revisit this post, and see if you still have interest. I'm betting that will seem less interesting, later.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-30-2006, 06:01 PM
beaz

Here is a picture of my "Martian Spaceship" It is an old Model Builder Magazine plan from 1991 [img][/img]. I have seen somewhere a vid of one flying, I haven't flown this yet. There are reports of osillations at low speeds (Dutch Roll) I guess I'll find out sometime.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78095.jpg
Views:	1546
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	569481  
Old 12-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Tommy gallagher

Man that thing looks sweet
Old 12-11-2006, 07:32 AM
guerjac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...memberID=78087
Jacques
Old 12-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a modern "Lifting Body" that flys very well, both as an ultralight and as a model. It is Barney Wainfain's FACETMOBILE. You can get 3 views off the web, just Google "Facetmobile". I've built two 1/4 scale, 2 1/5 scale and 1 1/6 scale, the later powered with an outrunner, all the others were glow powered. They fly great and even the little electric one handles wind very well, I fly when lots of 40 sized trainers are downed due to windy weather. The real one was flown from California to Oshkosh powered with a Rotax engine. Read all about it on Barney's home page.