Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

VMAR Extra 300L

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 03:06 PM
RossCanyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VMAR Extra 300L

Hello Flyers,

I am in my first full season flying so I do not have a great experience basis to fall back on. I flew a friends 3 channel model about mid summer last year and joined a club. I learned on an RCM Trainer and then flew an Avistar.

NEXT I picked up a VMAR Extra at a swap meet. Interesting third plane. At first this plane seemed very hard to control. I had trouble with landings and takeoffs scared me silly. I have put her back together several times and ended up buying a second new one to keep a whole model flying.
BUT, as I became a better flyer I am beginning to enjoy this model. Seems to have very little wing area even for a 40 size model. This adds to difficulty early on but allows speed and even respectible verticle with small mill engines. This means not "big bucks" spent while learning.
This is turning out to be a great value as long as I fly the model from 3/4 throttle up. This is NOT A FLOATER. Basic aerobatics are predictable. Control surfaces are preinstalled, pushrods are hooked up, pilot and control panel included and installed, wheel pants and all hardware included. I wasn't all that excited about the hardware but I haven't had much problem with the covering as some have. It simply isn't Top Flight quality. Construction is all wood and EASY TO REPAIR.
If anyone has flown this model give me some input!

RossCanyon
Old 08-13-2003, 12:35 AM
RossCanyon

Default Re: VMAR Extra 300L

Originally posted by RossCanyon
Hello Flyers,

I am in my first full season flying so I do not have a great experience basis to fall back on. I flew a friends 3 channel model about mid summer last year and joined a club. I learned on an RCM Trainer and then flew an Avistar.

NEXT I picked up a VMAR Extra at a swap meet. Interesting third plane. At first this plane seemed very hard to control. I had trouble with landings and takeoffs scared me silly. I have put her back together several times and ended up buying a second new one to keep a whole model flying.
BUT, as I became a better flyer I am beginning to enjoy this model. Seems to have very little wing area even for a 40 size model. This adds to difficulty early on but allows speed and even respectible verticle with small mill engines. This means not "big bucks" spent while learning.
This is turning out to be a great value as long as I fly the model from 3/4 throttle up. This is NOT A FLOATER. Basic aerobatics are predictable. Control surfaces are preinstalled, pushrods are hooked up, pilot and control panel included and installed, wheel pants and all hardware included. I wasn't all that excited about the hardware but I haven't had much problem with the covering as some have. It simply isn't Top Flight quality. Construction is all wood and EASY TO REPAIR.
If anyone has flown this model give me some input!

RossCanyon
Old 08-13-2003, 12:49 AM
RossCanyon

Default VMAR Extra 300L

Just one more thing.

I absolutely love flying this airplane. It takes off fast and lands fast. Immelmen's, Split S's, Cuban 8's, Spins(up or down), Giant Loops, Rolls and more. Doesn't seem to have any bad habits. I've had some rough landings at first and the engine died right after a takeoff. Not the fault of the airplane.

Pretty much total focus is necessary for this quick responding little missle but it has made me a much better pilot. I also fly an 81" wingspan Ultra Hots built from plans weighing a bit over 10 pounds and powered by an OS 1.20 FS. I was intimidated while flying this airplane. After flying the little Extra the Ultra is pure pleasure.

I give the VMAR Extra a big thumbs up. I'll fly the Extra this season and for next year she'll come back with all new monokote.

See ya at the field! Ross Canyon