Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

VMAR Hotrod .40

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Pylanton
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VMAR Hotrod .40

I've heard some bad things about early VMAR kits, but in my opinion, the new Hotrod .40 is an excellent sport plane! It came via UPS about a week after I ordered it (it was shipped the same day as my order.. a BIG plus!) it came in a sturdy cardboard box and upon inspection I noted there was absolutley NO shipping damage. The model goes together very quickly and painlessly. Parts fit is great - I didn't have to do any sanding to make things fit right. The instruction manual was very descriptive, but the pictures could definately use some work. First step is to join the wing halves - this part is very straight-forward and the excellent parts fit makes it even easier. Next you'd want to attach the stabs which simply slide into pre-cut slots in the fuselage - almost no measuring is required to get everything lined up straight. After all the major assembly is complete, the next step is to attach the landing gear - this is where the problems are. The main gear go into the fuselage perfectly, but the nose gear fit could have been better. I ended up converting it to a tail-dragger (which is VERY easy to do) just because that's the way i like 'em, but a beginner would definately want to stick with the trike setup.

Once the building was complete, it was time to bolt in the engine. For power I used an Old (1975) K&B .40 w/ semco blow-trhough muffler. The engine mount is strong and easy to work with so mounting the engine was a breeze.

The radio gear installation wasn't any tougher... the servos slide into the plastic servo tray and are securely screwed in. I decided to use a mini servo on the throttle (just because I didn't have any standard ones left)... all I needed to do to fix it up right was to drill a few holes.. no biggie.

Once everything was setup the way i like, it was FLIGHT TIME!!! The "old faithfull" K&B started up with a tap of the starter and was off and screaming in no time. With the tail dragger setup, it is a lot harder to keep the model tracking right during taxiing, but it took off in about 30 feet with no problems. In the air, the Hotrod is very responsive to controls! At half stick, the K&B pulled it around the sky effortlessly for some relaxing sunday flight. At full open throttle the Hotrod really stands up to its name! It'll do just about anything you ask of it. The vertical performance wasn't all that great, but I'm sure if you stick a Tower .46 or an OS FX up front, it would be drasticly better.
This isn't one of those planes you'd want to overpower - it flies perfectly within the specified engine sizes.

Feel free to reply with any comments or questions you may have!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:37 AM
IronCross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VMAR Hotrod .40

I am on my third HotRod now. Bought the first one a couple of years ago. It was a real challange. All the control surfaces etc were warped. The nose gear was to weak and had to be reformed just about every landing etc.
My last one I purchased a couple of months ago had some nice changes. The control surfaces all seemed straight. Granted I could not flex the elevators or rudder orginaly but managed to lossen them up by forcefully flexing them. The nose gear is now a much heavier wire with the control arm soldered on it in the
correct position. A nice touch. I changed the mounting bolts on the engine mounts. Originally the bolts holding the mount on went through the fuel tank compartment into the aluminum mount. This meant removing the radio gear etc and pulling the tank to tighten/check them ocasionally. I installed some blind nuts and ran the bolts through from the engine compartment in a more conventional manner. I throw the wire mains away as they are to springy and replace them with an aluminum gear. The hardware IMHO is usless. The clevises have a bolt through the end instead of the usual pin. I suspect it would take no time at all for the threads to grind out the hole in the servo arms or control horn. The radio gear installs real nice. They give you a nice plastic tray to mount the servos on etc and it bolts in real nice. The covering on these is not much. It looks pretty originaly but does not stand up to sun light. Mine older on has gone from red to pink to white from sitting on the flight line. They do look nice with a Monocote covering. They use some sort of strange wood in them also. It is hard and brittle. I stalled one while landing and the wing tip just shattered, like glass.
This is not an expensive ARF and you get about what you pay for.
This plane is a blast to fly. I use them for racing. With an OS 46 in them they move out and make it easy to understand where the name "HotRod" came from.