Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

FENG NIU FN668 Quadcopter from Gearbest

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

FENG NIU FN668 Quadcopter from Gearbest

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 AM
biomecanoid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FENG NIU FN668 Quadcopter from Gearbest

Intro:

I am mostly into RC Planes but the weather is not always good enough to fly, So i thought i needed a little something to fly indoors.
Since you can not fly planes inside the house lol i decided i need an small quad. I have no experience in quads so i have chosen something small but not micro sized.

The Quad:

When i found the FENG NIU on Gearbest ( http://goo.gl/GQOnsc ) i though it was interesting because it was the only quad that i knew of that you can also drive like a car. After contacting Gearbest they were kind enough to allow me to review it.

The quad runs of a 3.7V 750mAh LiPo providing about 5-6 mins of flight and the transmitter requires 4x AA batteries.

The quad comes in a nice box containing everything you need apart from the transmitter batteries, on the plus side it also contains replacement props.

The Transmitter:

The transmitter is almost normal size and not like those tiny PS2 style controllers that is a pain to use. It works on 2.4Ghz and looks like a FlySky transmitter buy i can not verify that.

It is light and easy to use and you can find on it all the required controls that you would expect plus a button that makes the quad make stun flips

Sadly what looks like an LCD in the pictures is just a shine piece of plastic so that is the only thing that i found to be misleading.

Another downside on the transmitter is that there is no antenna sticking out so i assume that's why the short range of 50m. I believe that modding the transmitter with a pigtail and antenna would increase the effective range.

Charging:

The on-board battery charges with a usb style charger that takes about an hour finish.

Charging time is long and i could not see and visual signal that the charge is over.

One nice feature is that you can charge the battery without taking it out of the quad.

I recommend that you buy more batteries, i found these to be nice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JST-Batter...gAAOSwv-NWaeS9

Performance:

The quad handles good both on air and on the ground, has enough power to lift its own weight easily and the led lights a bright.

There are no bells and whistles on the quad no RTH or other advanced features and you can't expect any of those with such a low price.

Flight times are what you would expect from a 20$ plane and it lasts about 6 minutes in the air.

When the battery is low the leds start flashing and power to the motor is gradually diminished and the quad lands softly on the ground, on low battery you are not allowed to fly but you can drive it back to you as a car.

Manual

As far as the manual is concerned i got 2 manuals both in Chinese.
I guess they wanted to include one in Chinese and one in English but due to some mistake i got 2 of the same

Misc

When you first power the quad the 1at thing you realise is that the leds are backwards red at the front green at the back.

Judging from the cardboard casing pictures there are 3 versions of the quad:

* One on 2.4ghz, no camera
* One on 2.4ghz + camera
* One on WiFi to control with your smart phone

I will continue exploring this little quad as i don't have it for long just a couple of days.

I will also post back videos of it flying.