Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

Model Tech Magic Extra 300L 46 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Model Tech Magic Extra 300L 46 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 01:03 PM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Tech Magic Extra 300L 46 ARF

I bought the ARF version for $119. The packaging was nothing spectacular but it was properly packaged and arrived undamaged.

Assembly was pretty straight forward and built fairly fast. The only weakness I saw was under the canopy where the wing bolts together. This area is really thin so I glassed it with Z-Poxy to reinforce it a little. The area behind the fuel tank seems to get a little damp from fuel so I thinned some z-poxy and lightly coated it to make it fuel proof.

The covering is an iron type but is still subject to some peeling of the trim. A few hot swipes and it sat back down for the most part. Some of it had to be removed since it wouldn't stay put.

Flying the plane is a DREAM!! It has excellent acro ability and lands like a kitten. With little or no effort it's easy to drag the tail wheel in first and gently set it down. I haven't noticed any bad tendecies during flight and it does everything I want it to. Vertical is unlimited with an Irvine .53 on it. It had an OS .46 and flew fine with it until the motor died.

Overall, I LOVE IT! If something happens to it I would certainly buy another one. This plane will likely be a permanent part of my hangar. This is my first mid wing acro plane after flying a Hobbistar .60 and an Avistar .40. I would Highly Recommend this plane. With the throws turned down it's very gentle and easy to fly. Crank up the throws and it can challenge you to your limits!
Old 12-29-2003, 11:07 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Model Tech Magic Extra 300L 46 ARF

Just a quick question was the OS46 an FX or LA. I am on the last leg of construction on mine (should be done tomorrow) and will fly in first good weather. Probably this week. BTW: I have put the OS46FX in mine and am looking forward to flying.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:30 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Irvine .53 on mine too. What a combo. This is my favorite plane now.
I really beefed mine up with extra balsa and CA. It's a good thing too. I've had two pretty hard landings and none of them did any plane damage (the 2nd one broke the tip of the prop). I used 3/16 square stock and ran it along the thin ply beam that goes the length of the fuse. From the firewall all the way back to the last servo, I CA'd this square stock. I also added thin sheet of balsa on the sides of the fuse right next to the landing gear block. I also put thin sheet of balsa under the gas tank in front of the landing gear block. That way a rough landing can't squash the fuse walls and floors. It all helped. Not much extra weight either.

BTW the moistness behind the tank is not good and needs to be fixed. It's gotta be leaking fuel somewhere.

Joe
Old 12-29-2003, 11:46 AM
hookedonrc

rik756, Joe is right on the wetness around the tank, it really needs to be fixed. On mine I had a difficult time getting the tank plug to tighten up enough to seal the tank around the plug opening. I ended up reversing the washer inside the tank where the fuel line and vent enter. It was the only way I could get it sealed. Don't know if you do this, but when I get the tank together, I put on long fuel and vent lines, submerge the fuel tank in a sink full of water and blow through the two lines. If there is any leakage you should see bubbles. At least your not taking the tank in and out while testing.

Joe, I don't know if you did this or not, but I replaced the aluminum bolts with cap end bolts of the same size. They are stronger and are easier to tighten through the small holes in the bottom of the wing assembly.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:50 PM
JoeAirPort

hook...thanks I'll have to look into getting those cap end bolts. Are they allen wrench type heads?

Also something I just discovered today. For a new gas tank I fill it up with fuel right in my basement inside of an old wash bucket and see if it leaks at all. I clamp the hoses near where the ends and hold the tank upside down so all the fuel is putting pressure on the fittings and the hoses. If it doesn't leak like that then it probably won't in the plane. I'll never put a new tank in a plane without first testing it for leaks. Once you get oil in the balsa it's can't be taken out.

Also, no matter how good you fuel proof your plane, since the fuel doesn't get absorbed by the epoxy treated balsa it just keeps flowing until it either finds a drain hole or DRY BALSA to soak into. So the tank has to be air and fuel tight regardless.

Joe
Old 12-29-2003, 11:15 PM
hookedonrc

Yes, they are allen head bolts. Just use the 4mm X 32 mm bolts. I took a washer and CA'd it to the bottom side of the head of the bolt. This way the washer stays in place when you are trying to insert the bolt through those small holes into the wing itself. Worked great for me.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:56 AM
JoeAirPort

I used an eighth inch long piece of fuel tubing on the threaded side of the bolts to hold them in while I'm carrying the wing around. Works pretty good.

Joe
Old 12-30-2003, 01:26 PM
rik756

Just a quick question was the OS46 an FX or LA.
This one was the FX.

For a new gas tank I fill it up with fuel right in my basement inside of an old wash bucket and see if it leaks at all. I clamp the hoses near where the ends and hold the tank upside down so all the fuel is putting pressure on the fittings and the hoses. If it doesn't leak like that then it probably won't in the plane.
Great idea, I hadn't thought even thought about that...

The fuel I was getting everywhere was mostly from exhaust I think. I have a MAC pipe on it and until I got a deverter it seemed to get everywhere. I'll have to look into the cap screws for the wing. I really don't like the long reach and short bolts that came with it anyway.

I used an eighth inch long piece of fuel tubing on the threaded side of the bolts to hold them in while I'm carrying the wing around. Works pretty good.
I did this too and it seems to work pretty good.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:09 AM
hookedonrc

Joe: Thanks for tip on the fuel tubing. It's amazing how the simplest of ideas can help solve a problem. It never crossed my mind.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:31 PM
JoeAirPort

hook: Glad I could help. I just used that idea yesterday on a new ARF. I kept dropping the bolts out of the wing so I did it on that one too. Now I have to get the allen head bolts for both of those planes.

Joe
Old 05-09-2004, 06:38 PM
squirt

Is this plane 3D?
Old 05-09-2004, 11:03 PM
rik756

Well, yes and no. Some ads for it says it can and they show a pic of someone doing it, but I have yet to see anyone be able to torque roll it or hover it on the ground. Other than those two things, yes, it can do just about anything you want to with the right set up.

Just my opinion....

Rick
Old 05-10-2004, 07:59 AM
eddiemans

I have a GMS 47 in mine & it hauls, outta sight verticals, harriers on 1/4 throttle or less, hovers & torque rolls to my inexperienced limits yet lands as slow as. Can land in a vertical plane in 5mph winds. Do I love it? You bet. I only problem I have is getting it to flatspin but am going to move the CG back & try again.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:51 AM
squirt

sounds like a neat plane.....i just can decide between this or the magic
Old 05-10-2004, 12:27 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: squirt

Is this plane 3D?
Harriers are not good with mine. Hovering and torque rolls are awesome. It will blender no problem. Gotta have the CG aft and the elevator throw max'd out. Rolling circles are great. It's actually a really fun ARF. The biggest downfall besides harrier rocking is the covering. It comes loose right away and keeps coming loose. If you don't paint the seems with alcohol-thinned epoxy it will all peel off in time. It doesn't matter if you keep ironing it down. It doesn't stick anymore. A recover would be the only permanent solution. It will come in just under 5 lbs with a 46FX and will have PLENTY of power. Use a 12.25-3.75 APC prop.

Is it a 3D? No, it's a fun fly. Doesn't snap very easy.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:03 PM
rik756

i just can decide between this or the magic
No question about it - The Magic Extra is the way to go!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:04 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: rik756

i just can decide between this or the magic
No question about it - The Magic Extra is the way to go!
I agree, it's way cooler looking than the Magic.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:14 PM
rik756

I think someone else mentioned it as well, but if not, make sure you seal all the edges of the covering! The stuff they put off peels like dead skin if you don't. I'm not in the process of trying to remove the rest of it for a re-covering. The only time it seemed to stick really well is now that I am trying to take it all off lol.

Rick
Old 05-13-2004, 07:19 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Couple of things on this plane. Do re-enforce the fuse under the canopy. Mine blew apart in the air after an afternoon of vogorous acrobatics with itThe plane broke in two in the middle under the wing, right in front of the former that is i the middle of the wing saddle area.

On the fuel leakage problem, I always seal the stopper area with blue silicone RTV you can buy from any auto parts store. Never had one fail yet. I also make sure the hole in the firewall is sealed too. Keeps the exhaust residue from getting in the plane.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:20 PM
squirt

Ok guys, i really think this plane looks really cool... i heard it can hover/torque roll, is that true? also do you guys think i saito .72 would be good for this plane? would it fit on the stock engine mount? iv seen some pics with the .72 in it... as long as this plane can torque roll, and can do some pretty neat stuff I'm cool.....thats all i wanna know.....is if it can do some stuff like that.

thanks
Old 05-25-2004, 07:57 AM
JoeAirPort

The Saito 72 will fit and fly it very nicely. You should have a 5 lb plane when you're all done. And that's with all the extra CA and balsa for reinforcement. I just thin CA'd long strips of 3/16 square balsa stock all along the length of the fuse, from the firewall to the tail, wherever I could reach. In some places I doubled it. It's darn strong. I also added ply to the landing gear block and epoxy.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:48 PM
rik756

i heard it can hover/torque roll, is that true?
YES! I could never do it, but Jess Rozzman TR'd it up and down the runway about 3 inches off the deck. However he can hover anything like this [link=http://www.memphispropbusters.com/videos/spadcub.wmv]SPAD Cub[/link] lol

do you guys think i saito .72 would be good for this plane? would it fit on the stock engine mount?
You won't need that much power and I don't think it will fit with the plane stock. An Irvine .53 is tight. I had to flex the cheeks out a little to get it to fit. Then again, I don't know the dimentions on the Saito. If it fits and isnt too heavy, go for it. Just don't fly the wings off of it!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Eddie.b

I'm on my second Magic Extra. I do 3D and I practice sportsman pattern with it. It's my only plane. I believe the better landing gear alone makes the Magic Extra better than the Magic. Also, it tracks much better--in the air and on the ground. The Magic was my first plane getting back into the hobby a year ago. Great except for landing gear. I use a TT .46 Pro. APC 12.25 X 3.75 prop. Hovers at half throttle. Will pull away vertical from a hover and accelerate away. Omega 10% fuel. I feel only the U-Can-Do 46 might be more versatile although it will need a larger motor. A .72 four stroke is ideal.
Hope your having fun.
Regards,
Ed
Old 05-30-2004, 05:46 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Use Monokote Trim Sealant to seal all the edges of the trim, even the parts that aren't coming off yet...that should permenantly fix your covering problems.

BTW - where are the pictures? This whole thread doesn't have one.