Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

BAD EXPERIENCE WITH FLITON PLANES

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

BAD EXPERIENCE WITH FLITON PLANES

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:34 PM
laserbeam
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD EXPERIENCE WITH FLITON PLANES

Out of 3 planes i bought, 2 crash bad (total loss) because the design in some critical parts are weak and brakes, i reported this to Fliton and they were very indifferent and did not response professional, so i advise to the r/c planes comunity to be VERY CAREFULL with FLITON planes, because they brake in the air flying because the instrucction manual is missing some VERY IMPORTANT ISSUES, plus you'll loose the money you paid for it. they wont do nothing for the customer. bummer! =-(
Old 05-22-2006, 05:40 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: BAD EXPERIENCE WITH FLITON PLANES

Somehow I smell troll, but.....

Fliton is one of the best arf kits out there. I've been very impressed with my Rogue3D. Build quality is excellent, it has the most flawless covering job of any arf Ive ever seen. The Rogue3D flys great. The only problems I've seen with the Fliton kits are pilots that slam them into the deck, and wonder why the landing gear breaks or try to fly a full throttle blender and wonder why the wing folds.

If you know your flying style is going to stress an airframe, why don't you beef it up BEFORE you fly instead of blaming the manufacturer after YOU break it?

Fliton makes very superior flying airplanes, that are extremely lightweight, and designed to fly very well within the limits they were designed for. Everyone said "...the landing gear is weak"...Sure is if you slam it into the runway. Of all the flights I flew with mine, never broke the gear until I slammed it into the runway. Thats my fault not fliton's.

If they got the mispunctuate, misspelled, unsubstantiated response you just posted, I can see why they weren't ready to help you.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:19 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

My FLiton Extra broke too, when it hit the ground.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:49 AM
laserbeam

well you two should learn to fly better, you crash your planes because your mistakes, and davidson should practice the landing more , i see thats were you crash, i never crash my planes ever and i always land perfect , i said fliton brake IN THE AIR. i have a lot of different flying style planes from many different companies, and the quality of covering of the rogue i had was very wrinkle all over, especially the fuselage and i wasn't impressed, so that means that the planes you had in the past davidson were poor quality, because you were impressed by flitons.
I'm italian and speak 5 languages , sorry for the misspelling etc. mr. elementary teacher davidson. and good luck with your flying skills , be careful with the floor and gravity!!
my post intention was to alert pilots from fliton planes , they are so light that makes them weak and they never mention they should be fly very gentle and slow...................
you did not have to be offensive and comment about my spelling, i bet you don't even speak two languages right? if you do, answer me in another language let's see how good you are..........
Old 05-23-2006, 07:20 AM
laserbeam

The fliton extra 330 has a landing gear thas flex way too much, and what kind of plane is the one who you are limited to do slow manouvers because the fear of braking the plane by doing a simple tight loop? for not mention other harder manouvers, where is that fine line?? in the air?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:50 AM
bdavison

Marco, things break. It happens. I'm fairly sure I could snap the wings in half on just about any plane, or at least damage it in flight.
Every plane has operating limits, just like their full scale counterparts. If you want to operate the plane beyond those limits, you have to do things to it to increase its limits. Like installing carbon wing tubes, using plywood instead of balsa, reinforcements, etc.

Planes are not designed to fly full throttle all the time, or full throttle dives, or yanking tight loops with the power on. If you want it to do that you have to make it stronger and capable of those maneuvers. Many of us are taking these planes right to the limit of what they are capable of. They break. We fix them and move on.

There are hundreds if not thousands of pilots flying the Fliton planes. In many of the threads on here and other places, its already been discussed that the landing gear only takes normal smooth graceful landings. So many people reinforce them to allow them to make less than graceful landings. Problem solved, and the plane flys great. Saying that all Fliton planes are a waste of money because of this is rediculas. They are really good planes. If you cant set it down perfect, than be prepared to have to reinforce the landing gear.

Some say the wing spar is soft in some of the planes. It will fly fine as long as your not doing full power blenders and such. But people broke them doing other maneuvers, so now people are reinforcing that part to allow the plane to do those maneuvers.

Every kit has some issue or thing that could be done better. There is NO perfect kit. Ive got a Brio right now that is giving me fits with a odd stall charectoristic that others have noticed too. I dont go around telling people all E-flite planes suck just because I had a problem with mine. We are currently trying to diagnose the problem...then we will fix it and let others know.

I'm curious, did you go online before building your Fliton plane and look around at threads regarding that plane? If so, why didn't you choose to follow recommended guidance with it and reinforce the parts that wouldn't allow you to perform your choice of maneuvering? Have you found a new problem? What is it? Did you find a solution?

I apologize for attacking your spelling, but if your going to start a complaint thread. Substantiate it by supporting your claim with the facts, situation, and information leading to your conclusion.

You said "...critical parts are weak and break". What critical parts?
You said "...instructional manual is missing some very important issues". What important issues?
You said "... they won't do anything for the customer?". What did you ask them for? What information did you provide to them? What was the response?

Chiedo scusa per l'attacco della vostra ortografia. Spiacente. Non ho realizzato che provenivate dall'Italia. Il vostro profilo dice Miami, FL.

Guten tag, Herr Marcoblum.
Wirklich kann ich andere Sprachen sehr gut sprechen. Vielen Dank.

Je peux egalement parler francais.
Vraiment inutile. Je ne projette pas sur visiter la France n'importe quand bientot.

Im het leren Nederlands.. Het helpt met de F3Ai websites Ik geniet van.
Im niet zeker dat is correct. Im het nog leren Nederlands. Het is een harde taal. Ik denk die is correct gespeld.

I'm also curious which ARF electric kits in this size range you've had that were covered better than a Fliton. Ive owned and flown just about every manufacturers planes at one time or another. So far the only one that comes even remotely close to Fliton is Hyperion, but they still exhibit some of the warping like the E-flite kits have.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:56 PM
BQuartucy

FWIW, I also suffered an inflight breakage. The first mini plane that I built was the Kantana from Atlanta Hobby, which utilized carbon fiber tubes for the wing attach. I never had one bit of trouble with the wings coming off, no matter how violent the maneuvers were.
Enter the Edge 330 from Fliton. the wing method of attachment was a joke. I added a plywood shear web at the joint inside the fuselage, my mistake was to assume that spar caps were strong enough to take the loads inposed by trimming the elevator during the maiden flight. I agree that the kit was well built and the covering job first rate
In retrospect I should have run the shear web out to the servo bay. The wing sheared off right at the root. Guess the lightweight balsa spar caps could not take the added flight loads imposed by flying it. Would I buy another Fliton ARF H--L no!!!! Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:01 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I work at a hobby shop.. and sadly we have had several Flitons returned for inflight failures... (I own a JJ and have had no problems except the ever too soft landing gear)

but due to the lack of customer service that we were receiving from Fliton, we stopped carrying them... sad really as they are beautiful planes.... but too many issues for us....

Oh well...
Old 06-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

It's funny. Last night I searched "Fliton" and read nothing but positive reports so I ordered one. Tonight I search Fliton and get nothing but negative posts. LOL.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:28 AM
Newalan

Well answered my friend, not everyone speaks/write English perfectly not even the Englishman sometimes. For someone to criticise your English is simply the height of ignorance. Note: I spelt criticise not criticize as spoken in UK
Old 04-14-2007, 06:53 PM
zoomfly2000

What hobby shop do you work at?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:06 PM
pilot727

Hey we got a guy here that can speak five different languages, well fliton does make a nice plane but when you buy that type of plane they are made extra light, you sould of gone with a stronger made kit that has a good landing gear, i have the great planes cap 232 sport and it is the best plane i have owned and you can even bounce it and the landing gear just flexes, most ultra light aerobatic airplanes are made really light so change some things around and support it better, me speak english that is all, well a little spanish, seeeee
Old 07-27-2007, 11:13 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: bdavison

Planes are not designed to fly full throttle all the time, or full throttle dives, or yanking tight loops with the power on.
At the Reynolds numbers and wing loadings we fly at, those are NOT unreasonable things to do. Watch a C/L fast combat match or C/L stunt pattern sometime. There's far less structurally to a fast combat rig than most R/C models and they're hammered far harder constantly. I've got a 30 year old Nemesis II that's be re-covered several times and had hundreds of wild cranking flights put on it and its still together. Basic sheeted LE with 1/4" spars. With an 8x8 RevUp, an ancient .35 G21 Tigre on 25% nitro or so, it steps out around 120mph
Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 PM
victorzamora

To begin, I'd like to say that speaking five languages isn't that big of a deal. I speak three fluently, and speak four more well enough to get around. I also believe that that level of incorrect grammar while trying to claim that's one of the languages one speaks well is kind of absurd. Considering all the mistakes I make in my other 4...I can see how grammatical errors are quite understandable, but I don't claim to speak 7 languages, do I?

Pour commencer, j'aimerais dire que le fait de parler cinq langues c'est pas une grande chose. J'ai que 17 ans et j'ai pas la chance d'etre dans un ecole qui peut m'enseigner les autres quatre langues.(I know I left out the "ne," but that's how it's spoken and commonly written...correctly, it would be "...ce n'est pas une..." and "Je n'ai que..." but I'm writing informally, to prove I'm fluent and not just translating). (Une autre chose, je peut pas utiliser les accents avec mon ordinateur.)

Para comenzar, quiero decir que el hecho de hablar cinco idiomas verdaderamente no es tanta cosa. Solo tengo 17 anos de edad (perdon, pero en este teclado no puede poner la ~ sobre la n como deberia ser, o los acentos) y hablo 3 casi perfectamente y 4 lo suficiente para sobrevivir. Y mi latin es lo suficiente para que cualquier idioma romantica no fuera tan dificil de entender con un poquito de practica.

Okay, enough with my grammar-bashing. If you want me to attempt to write in my other 4, I will...but it's embarrassing to me to slaughter languages like that, b/c I'm realy bad. Anyway, what really ticked me off about this thread was Mfg. bashing. I've seen a lot of planes from extremely well-renowned manufacturers (mine as well as flying-buddies') that have been horridly manufactured and some from "bad" manufacturers that were exquisite. Covering is going to wrinkle due to changes in the climate, that's truly a given. Also, balsa quality and glue quality/quantity really changes depending on weather, seasons, shipping and international shipping laws. Also, the quality depends on whoever is assembling the ARF (not the Mfg, the little indivual 5 year old kid in China that's doing it for twelve cents an hour). So, if you have a bad experience...don't say that Mfg. X is bad, simply say that you had a bad experience with Mfg. X. That's why I was interested in reading your post, your title did just that. Also, be specific about what happened. As bdavison pointed out, you never really said what problems you had (he didn't point it out intentionally, his post just helped me see it more clearly. You just ranted without a point, please attempt to be helpful. My post is to attempt to let you know that your posts should be helpful, that's my way of helping out
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM
victorzamora

To begin, I'd like to say that speaking five languages isn't that big of a deal. I speak three fluently, and speak four more well enough to get around. I also believe that that level of incorrect grammar while trying to claim that's one of the languages one speaks well is kind of absurd. Considering all the mistakes I make in my other 4...I can see how grammatical errors are quite understandable, but I don't claim to speak 7 languages, do I?

Pour commencer, j'aimerais dire que le fait de parler cinq langues c'est pas une grande chose. J'ai que 17 ans et j'ai pas la chance d'etre dans un ecole qui peut m'enseigner les autres quatre langues.(I know I left out the "ne," but that's how it's spoken and commonly written...correctly, it would be "...ce n'est pas une..." and "Je n'ai que..." but I'm writing informally, to prove I'm fluent and not just translating). (Une autre chose, je peut pas utiliser les accents avec mon ordinateur.)

Para comenzar, quiero decir que el hecho de hablar cinco idiomas verdaderamente no es tanta cosa. Solo tengo 17 anos de edad (perdon, pero en este teclado no puede poner la ~ sobre la n como deberia ser, o los acentos) y hablo 3 casi perfectamente y 4 lo suficiente para sobrevivir. Y mi latin es lo suficiente para que cualquier idioma romantica no fuera tan dificil de entender con un poquito de practica.

Okay, enough with my grammar-bashing. If you want me to attempt to write in my other 4, I will...but it's embarrassing to me to slaughter languages like that, b/c I'm realy bad. Anyway, what really ticked me off about this thread was Mfg. bashing. I've seen a lot of planes from extremely well-renowned manufacturers (mine as well as flying-buddies') that have been horridly manufactured and some from "bad" manufacturers that were exquisite. Covering is going to wrinkle due to changes in the climate, that's truly a given. Also, balsa quality and glue quality/quantity really changes depending on weather, seasons, shipping and international shipping laws. Also, the quality depends on whoever is assembling the ARF (not the Mfg, the little indivual 5 year old kid in China that's doing it for twelve cents an hour). So, if you have a bad experience...don't say that Mfg. X is bad, simply say that you had a bad experience with Mfg. X. That's why I was interested in reading your post, your title did just that. Also, be specific about what happened. As bdavison pointed out, you never really said what problems you had (he didn't point it out intentionally, his post just helped me see it more clearly. You just ranted without a point, please attempt to be helpful. My post is to attempt to let you know that your posts should be helpful, that's my way of helping out

Also, cutaway...thank you for your post. Though I've never flown C/L stunt or combat (only two little plastic Cox C/L trainers), I couldn't have said that. But you're totally correct...the reynolds numbers and wing loadings that are commonly seen in R/C are much too low to worry about.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:52 PM
pappy35

I watched a Jesky's wing tube fold-up in flight during a moderate maneuver. The tube's wall thickness was only about 0.012" but Fliton refused to replace the kit because they claimed it was overloaded. Yes, it was about 4 oz. heavy. I'd expect it to fail in a 10G load, not when pulling gently out of a loop. I was all set to buy a 260 and an Infinity 90 but due to the way they refused to help my buddy out, I'll never buy one. I agree that it's a shame, they are beautiful looking planes but I would never buy a kit from a company with such poor service.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:53 PM
pilot727

Well spoken and i am sure your a very nice man and i am really a guy that loves to listen to anyone that can speak that many languages, you are indeed a very smart man, i sometime say things i do not mean as i said something about your speking so many different languages and i am truely sorry for that, we are all here to respect one another and to learn from the ones that know more then us and are so willing to help, be good my friend
Old 08-08-2007, 12:59 PM
pilot727

I bought a giles 202 cannot remember from what company but when i put the tube in it had no stop or block of wood and the tube went right to the other side of the plane i had to rig up something to keep the tube from going to one end of the wing to the other end, now it is my best flying plane ever
Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 PM
seasquared

I had the left Wing of my Fliton Prodogy Seperate from the fuselage after doing an Out-side Loop, into a half cuban and on the down line the wing came off, at that point the throtle was at about half... When building the plane, I read the threads from this Site and incorporated the recomended reinforcements... Including adding 2 Plywood reinforcements to the Wing where it joined inside the fuselage making it a one piece wing... and it sheared off at the spar cap... Also I fly from a Grass Strip and the Landing gear Failed during one of my spectacular, Float on landings... ( a sight to see... light as a feather )... and this was after I had reinforced the attachment point. Was a Beautiful Plane and I loved flying it... but... I'll never buy another... The failure and the 560 foot plumet were captured on Vid... Splat !
Old 11-18-2007, 03:50 AM
maiden-crash

Ive had the right wing of my fliton prodigy come off, even with reinforcement, in a snap roll at moderate speed. I did however add an Eflite Park 480 with a heavy FP 2170, but I dont believe that to be a good enough excuse for structural failure. I will however say, the quality off construction is great, and it is built very light and covered superbly. The snap roll resulted in a heart breaking spiral to the ground, followed by a gut wrenching crunch. I walked over and braced myself for the worst, to my surprise all the electronics and battery were in perfect condition, and the damage was not all too great. The Mount cage broke, and of course the right wing panel was broken off. After about a week it was flight ready again, although this time I installed a small bell outrunner that will fly it sufficiently for pattern. Looks almost as good as new.

Ps, I have to say the landing gear holds up fine but unfortunately do to my stupidy it broke when I decided to land it in some not so short grass. Ever since the crash I added to 3mm CF tubes running from the side of the fuse below the TE of the wing to the wheel pants, extremely strong now and can take some rough landings (all tests ofcourse)
Old 11-19-2007, 09:55 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

bdavison said:

Planes are not designed to fly full throttle all the time, or full throttle dives, or yanking tight loops with the power on. ?????????????

Maybe not the ones built with these newfangled ultralight construction methods. But older experienced mentors taught me to build 'em strong (especially in critical areas like firewalls, landing gear and wing attachment) and in the ~40 years I've been flying RC (sport/pattern) , full throttle while yanking tight loops, +/- snaps, etc., trying to pull the wings off, the only inflight structural problem experience was when I didn't put enough rubber bands on a .40 size Ugly Stik. I didn't build extra heavy either. Gotta admit I've always found the need to reinforce certain areas of ARFs too. Some of these newer, light construction models just won't hold up like the old stuff did. And the standard for power to weight has gone kuku too. I read of folks saying that they need a .60 or .90 to fly a 5 or 6 pound airplane!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:47 PM
cloud-9

I just bought a Fliton Andrew Jesky Extra, first version.

Can somebody suggest how to strengthen its weak points?

Thanks a lot,
Jim

Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 PM
masonman

I have the fliton Edge 540, an it is by far one of the best 60 size models i have been around. It was a pain when going together, an the way the wings are secured to the wing i thought was strange(rubber bands)But they work, an work well. I have a .75 2C engine on mine, it is over powered an a little heavy, but tons of fun.I have put this model to the test.Lots of things i would think might make something snap. It is my favorite plane in my hanger.Goes to the field every time i go. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-18-2008, 10:40 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

The biggest issue I have had with the Flitons is the weak motor box. They don' t sell the part seperately. If I were to ever get another one, I would add solid ply sides to the box assembly and find some way to better tie it into the structure rather than just the few tabs going into the thin firewall.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 AM
mark nichols

Fliton sorry guys a superb flying plane, uc is poor and even light landings have split mine in two on one side only, looks like poor fiberglass to me?
Anyway there customer support is poor my esc caught fire i sent it back after 8 flights got a reply of receipt and then nothing in 4 months. Have mailed 20 times not one reply. Well i bought a new hacker 40 esc and am not happy, i know own two.

Superb plane if you knock it you must have one hell of another plane, i have qq 86 yak and extreme flight 58 so i can speak about quality here.
Beware if you need spares like a uc because they wont answer your emails to buy one good support not.

Very disapointed.

Mark
Scotland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.