Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

MonoKote-- LusterKote color match

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

MonoKote-- LusterKote color match

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
wvarn1957
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MonoKote-- LusterKote color match

I tried a can of LusterKote Missile Red this weekend. Bought from LHS for $8.95. The intended use was to paint the cowl of a CAP 232 to match the Missile Red Monokote on the plane. Followed the directions exactly. since I normally paint with Automotive finishes and a spray gun. The results were not what I had hoped for. First, the color of the paint isn't even close to the color of the MonoKote. Second, this is supposed to be a gloss finish, but it turned out somewhere between semi-gloss and flat.

I would have been better off buying a quart of custom mixed Automotive, even at three times the cost than trying the spray can LusterKote. It just isn't a quality product.

W. W. Varnado
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42211.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	754022  
Old 08-31-2007, 08:03 PM
bldrums

Default RE: MonoKote-- LusterKote color match

Well you know what, I just had the exact same experience painting my Skybolt cowl. I used Topflight primer followed the instructions to the tee and also used LusterKote
missile red. It is really 'burnt orange"............Since I have had no problems with Topflight MonoCote for years, I just figured the paint must do what they advertise it will do..MATCH~~ haha , noo noooo no.

I felt like this deserved some customer feedback. Heres the email I sent. Do I really expect as much as a reply? Not really , but hopefully no one else will go through this hassle. This is my
second request for assistance, the first was never answered.
OK HERE GOES:

TO AIRSUPPORT @ TOP-FLITE.COM

I have now purchased a second can of both LustreKote white primer/ topr7527 and a second can of Missile Red /topr7502. I have just completed painting my SECOND cowl (and like the first one ) the second cowl is a "burnt orange" color, not even a near close match to the missle red monocote on the airplane.
I read your painting instructions , in detail ,again ,before using the 2nd purchase of the products and even searched information on the web site www.rcuniverse.com
I spent far too much money in your product not to get, at least ,an acceptable finish. Two cowls and 4 cans of non-matching paint products and I have nothing I can use.. The Monocote covering has never been a problem in the 20 years that I have used your covering., that why I tried 2 more cans at my expense.
I sent a question and complaint after the first try, got no answer and figured I must have purchased a "dud" can of paint, but it seems that they all are below standards.

I respectfully request a full refund of the price of the paint. I'm sure I will have to "eat' the mismatched cowls myself. ( which cost money and time not to mention how frustrated I am with the product.)
Primer 2@ 6.99 each
Paint 2@ 6.99 each

$27.96

thank you,
Old 08-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I went through the same deal with Insignia Blue Lustrecote on an Extra 260 cowl. I sent them an email with photos of the mismatch and they sent me a can of primer, a can of white and a can of insignia blue so I could try and re- paint the cowl. Way too much masking and time involved so I decided to just live with the mismatch as you can't see it in the air and I was pretty sure the replacement cans they sent me weren't going to solve anything and in fact add to my frustration.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:18 PM
bldrums

Just a follow up from August dealing with TO AIRSUPPORT @ TOP-FLITE.COM

(Do I really expect as much as a reply? Not really , but hopefully no one else will go through this hassle. This is my
second request for assistance, the first was never answered.
OK HERE GOES: )

Just a I suspected, still no reply whatsoever. Thanks for your support TopFright Lost another customer but , so what.